This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Geekiness of Glee

edited December 2009 in Everything Else
While I've been in the "not watching television anymore" demographic, I've been hardcore into Glee for the past few months, having watched it on Hulu every week. Does this show have any other fans (or what people are calling "gleeks")?

If you haven't seen it yet, Glee's a weekly television show on FOX that follows the successes and failures of a high school glee club (show choir) in Ohio. Most of the cast members are taken from the Broadway circuit. It's like a less Disney-fied/hokey High School Musical, but it's still extremely corny -- in that '90s-Nickelodeon-nostalgic kind of way. It's also prime material for music geeks, who can compare all the covers that the show produces (from show tunes to Broadway hits to Top 40 to '80s synthpop).

Comments

• I've seen a lot of buzz about this series and am definitely going to catch up on it during the holidays. Hopefully it lives up to expectations!
  • I've watched most of the episodes of the show so far (Episodes 4 to 13) and I really like the show for what it is. It's a bit of a typical high school drama on the outside, but it's really glorified but it's amazing actors and the amount of style. The only thing I don't like is that it kind of has a "Captain Planet" style cast which feels out of place.

I'm not a big fan of the music per se, but it's very entertaining. And I personally find Matthew Morrison and Jane Lynch to be the real selling points of the show.
  • Sweet show, it is so corny and cringe worthy that it becomes addictive. At times though it feels like watching a show that is just 1/3 music video, 1/3 teen drama, and 1/3 adult drama (poorly tied together).
    And I personally find Matthew Morrison and Jane Lynch to be the real selling points of the show.
    Agreed
  • edited December 2009
    Oh thank GOD. I'm not the only person that enjoys Glee in this Forum. It's cheesy, yes, but I can't help but have fun when I watch the students perform (or prepare for their performances). Though the drama is a bit out there, it doesn't seem all that contrived, and it's all relatively well done. Plus, sometimes Glee just makes me want to sing. Period.

Also, Sue Sylvester. Need I say more?
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • The autotuning makes their voices become the audio equivalent of the uncanny valley.
  • I rather watch "Community" :P

• Community is on Thursday.

Wednesday's hard too, with Glee, Modern Family and Criminal Minds. But Glee is still great enough to get watched.
  • Glee's season finale was a wonderful cornucopia of comeupance.
  • I was going to make a thread for Glee at some point but never got around it. You know you can watch Community and Glee.... (Glee is beter ;-p) I enjoy the fact that the show has two A storylines, one with the childern and one with the adults thus it apeals to you on multiple levels. I agree that the autotuning is a bit werid but it's really just a minor problem in a excellent show.
  • I watch Glee and Community. They are two very different kinds of shows and I like them equally.
  • I love Community, but I feel Chevy Chase is holding back. That guy is way funnier than he is on that show.

Note: Chevy Chase is my favorite comedian of all-time.
  • The only thing I don't like is that it kind of has a "Captain Planet" style cast which feels out of place.
    What kind of lame power is Alto, anyway?
  • I love Community, too...but this is a Glee thread.

I'm going to admit it, though. There were at least 4 moments in this show that made me tear up like a little girl. I'm a man, dammit!
  • edited December 2009
    The autotuning makes their voices become the audio equivalent of the uncanny valley.
    Yeah. One thing I really dislike is the pop quality of their singing. It doesn't really sound like a choir (and some of them are so flat! ugh). Though I really like the few scenes where they actually warm up (rather than just launching into a near-perfect rendition of whatever song they're "just starting to practice"). Also, if anyone had tried to throw a slushie in my face, they would be down on the floor. In pain.

I don't understand why the "lower classes" in high school care about popularity. I guess my school was big enough that we didn't have that kind of social structure. Are smaller high schools really that caught up on social status?
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Glee makes me miss my college acappella group. So I watch it. It's fun, but the auto-tuning and over-production makes me sad. Not sad enough to stop watching the show, though. I seriously want to murder Will's wife, though.
  • The autotuning makes their voices become the audio equivalent of the uncanny valley.
    Yeah. One thing I really dislike is the pop quality of their singing. It doesn't really sound like a choir (and some of them are so flat! ugh). Though I really like the few scenes where they actually warm up (rather than just launching into a near-perfect rendition of whatever song they're "just starting to practice").
    I've also noticed the lip-syncing-ish quality of the songs, but in a way it makes watching the show more fun. You don't want to listen to awful music, especially when it's live. Yeah, might be good, but why settle for good when you can listen to pristine.

Also, not all of their songs are "pop." Most of my favorites are the remakes of older songs, and they've done wonders to a few musical numbers (eg., the acoustic rendition of Billy Idol's Dancing With Myself; or, the interesting weaves of It's My Life/Confessions and Halo/Walking on Sunshine from the 2 mash-ups). Mercedes' ballad solo from the most recent episode stands out as an example.
  • edited December 2009
    Glee makes me miss my college acappella group. So I watch it. It's fun, but the auto-tuning and over-production makes me sad. Not sad enough to stop watching the show, though. I seriously want to murder Will's wife, though.
    I did too, but once Will showed that his pimp-hand was indeed strong, that really turned things around for me for both characters. Made me really respect Will and somewhat understand Terry. She's still a bitch for undermining Will, but now she's gonna pay for it.

The overproduction to the show doesn't bother me though. I really loved their "Proud Mary" and "Jump" sequences. Too much or not enough, that took some time to pull off.
    I don't understand why the "lower classes" in high school care about popularity. I guess my school was big enough that we didn't have that kind of social structure. Are smaller high schools really that caught up on social status?
    Mostly because of getting picked on. I mean, they've had some cruel shit played on them by the other kids. (Throwing a slushie in someone's face would probably drive anyone one of us into a rage, or a need to punish who did it.) And even the jock and cheerleaders in the Glee club get shit from the other jocks/cheerleaders. It's like, for High School, it's better to be super popular or anonymous so you don't have to deal with that. Unless you fully don't care, which is hard to do at that age.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • edited December 2009
    interesting weaves of It's My Life/Confessions
    THAT was freaking awesome. One of my favorite parts of acappella groups are the mashups we got to do/see.

EDIT: Related topic that I just found out about - "The Sing Off" on NBC tonight through Wednesday, and next Monday at 8:00. Acappella show!
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • edited December 2009
    Yeah. This shit happens in middle-of-nowhere High Schools...like in MY local ones. Ridiculous stuff, but accurate to a degree.

I loved the premise of the last few episodes, though. BRILLIANT way to force the Glee kids to sing new songs in the finale. Also, the Finale song made me such a mopey sappy person, especially with the dance(s) that they performed with it.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • I love that they didn't even bother to give the show a theme song. It would just be completely unneeded.
  • I love that they didn't even bother to give the show a theme song. It would just be completely unneeded.
    There is a theme, sorta. Think of the end credit music.
    There is a theme, sorta. Think of the end credit music.
    There's a theme song, and an ingenious one at that. It's just a 1-second a capella "BUH!" with the title card white-on-black "glee."
  • There's a theme song, and an ingenious one at that. It's just a 1-second a capella "BUH!" with the title card white-on-black "glee."
    I always thought they were saying "GLEE!"
  • Shouldn't this thread be called "The Gleekiness of Glee"?
    Did... did you really just make that joke? Really? Get the hell off my internets.
    Did... did you really just make that joke? Really? Get the hell off my internets.
    A lot of glee fans are referring to themselves as "gleeks." Don't fault him for it.
  • A lot of glee fans are referring to themselves as "gleeks." Don't fault him for it.
    And it shall hereforthwith be known as "gleetards." "Gleeks" just sounds infirm.
  • edited December 2009
    Isn't a "gleek" when you squirt from your salivary glands?

EDIT: Yes, it is.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
    edited December 2009
    Isn't a "gleek" when you squirt from your salivary glands?
    And aren't outsiders supposed to give a group of people a derogatory name? The nerve of these squirts of sperm to go outside the trodden path.
    Post edited by ... on
  • And aren't outsiders supposed to give a group of people a derogatory name? The nerve of these squirts of sperm to go outside the trodden path.
    Um. Do you usually squirt sperm out of your mouth?