This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Geekiness of Glee

Comments

• Um. Do you usually squirt sperm out of your mouth?
    Eh... dood, squirt of sperm = how you are conceived. Don't believe the story that White Storks bring babies to door steps, it's not true! They're too busy dying out. Or were... they're returning now. It was an attempt at making a joke out of saliva squirts and being derogatory.
  • Eh... dood, squirt of sperm = how you are conceived. Don't believe the story that White Storks bring babies to door steps, it's not true! They're too busy dying out. Or were... they're returning now. It was an attempt at making a joke out of saliva squirts and being derogatory.
    Wait, white storks are dying out? Oh, and if we meet in person, please don't squirt semen out your mouth at me, kay? ^_~
  • Anyway....how about that show, Glee, guys? Favorite performance, anyone?
  • Anyway....how about that show, Glee, guys? Favorite performance, anyone?
    Like I said, tie between "Jump" and "Proud Mary"
  • edited December 2009
    Jump was surreal and fun to watch, though I definitely liked the sass and Wheelchair choreography in Proud Mary. Great choices!
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Just started rewatching Glee (was showing it to Emily and Rym). We watched the first Eps. before we went skiing and I found everyone hummming "Don't stop believing" throughout the whole day. Before we watched the next four eps. we were hanging in a bar only to find that song come on the jukebox just as we were about to leave..

I am really enjoying the rewatch of the show though as I notice a lot of the funny looks that different characters give each other during songs or reacting to other characters or the song (especially the ones not singing).
  • edited January 2010
    There are a lot of interesting little one-liners and reaction shots that could easily be missed on the first viewing, and I really appreciate it. Plus, it's really hard for me to get tired of Sue Sylvester, and there's always at least one performance to latch on to in each episode.

What are Emily and Rym's general reaction to the show so far? I didn't think they'd be the type that would like this show, though then again...they're not stone cold like Scott! Haha.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • I liked it. It wasn't the best, but it was satisfying entertainment, like a steak sandwich is greasy but satisfying to your hunger. I found myself having fun watching with Rym and looking forward to the next episode. I think it scratched that nice spot that longs for over-the-top high school drama where the arty unpopular kids to totally save the day, ala The Football Game dancing scene. The auto-tuning was pretty noticeable, but I guess if you look at it like a break from realism, in the way a lot of musicals function, it was forgivable. Also, it has to trope of antagonists turning into allies, which I am a sucker for. All around, I don't know if everyone here would dig it, but I enjoyed it in the way I enjoy a lot of Shojo comedies.
  • What are Emily and Rym's general reaction to the show so far? I didn't think they'd be the type that would like this show, though then again...they're not stone cold like Scott! Haha.
    Why did you think they wouldn't like it?
  • Why did you think they wouldn't like it?
    Didn't think they'd really pay attention to anything that's on TV, let alone something as unconventional as Glee. I remember them mentioning that they enjoyed an episode of Arrested Development. Once.
  • Why did you think they wouldn't like it?
    Didn't think they'd really pay attention to anything that's on TV, let alone something as unconventional as Glee. I remember them mentioning that they enjoyed an episode of Arrested Development. Once.
    While they don't watch TV, and in general the crew as a rule doesn't watch TV it doesn't mean we don't watch Hulu, netflix and torrent shows we hear about :-p
  • While they don't watch TV, and in general the crew as a rule doesn't watch TV it doesn't mean we don't watch Hulu, netflix and torrent shows we hear about :-p
    Frankly, that sounds like saying "I don't watch movies" because you watch DVDs instead of going to the theater.
  • While they don't watch TV, and in general the crew as a rule doesn't watch TV it doesn't mean we don't watch Hulu, netflix and torrent shows we hear about :-p
    Frankly, that sounds like saying "I don't watch movies" because you watch DVDs instead of going to the theater.
    That would be "I don't go to the movie theater" we usually refer to watching TV as the act of watching scheduled TV at a particular time. Just like people say they are watching TIVO, a dvd or tape.
  • So, they have FINALLY released a new promo for the back 9. What do you guys think?

I'm loving that song rendition so far. It definitely has that "Don't Stop Believing" feeling, which I am definitely a big fan of.
  • Just in case you forgot it's on tonight!
  • Vogue!
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    Yea that was a pretty funny line.
  • I definitely missed Glee... This new episode probably wasn't their best, but it was great setup for the upcoming storylines.

Vocal Adrenaline, you evil bastards.
  • Yea, it definitely was uneven but in many ways it was a reintroduction to the show. I enjoyed the teachers "Sometimes you just connect with someone" cut to making out :-p
  • Having finished the first season, I have this to say:

The first few episodes were fantastic. The last two were pretty good. Everything in the middle that wasn't singing was barely watchable stereotypical boring teen highschool drama. This should have been a six episode show, or else it should have been a movie.

It was fun, but I'll be watching the second season in Youtube mode. That is to say, I'll watch the song and dance numbers, but nothing else.
  • edited June 2010
    Was that 1 through 13? or 1 through 22?

I ask because 14-22 has a weird pacing problem. It seems they decided in the middle of those eps to just forget the plot for a while and just do eps focused on one particular musician. If your going to watch just highlights, I'd suggest the Joss whedon ep, the Lady Gaga ep and the finalie of the first season (eps 21 or 22 I forget how many eps there are)
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • My friends a huge Glee fans, and having listened to a number of the songs (and seen nothing else of the show other than the huge outpouring of "Gleek" tags on SomethingAwful), it seems, at the very least, interesting.
  • With the second part of the first season, I think I preferred many of the episodes to the finale instead of the actual finale. Really liked "Funk", "Home", and "Theatricality".
  • My problem with the second part of the first season, is they seem to build these plots and then just throw them away or ignore them. Also instead of songs that build into the plot it's just songs for the sake of the theme. (though there are some notable exceptions)
  • It is a typical "shojo" plot with music and some fantastic characters. Honestly, I watch for the musical numbers (despite the over-production) and the Sue Silvestry (sp?) insults.
  • I watch for the musical numbers (despite the over-production) and the Sue Silvestry (sp?) insults.
    Yeap. Everything else is pretty disposable.
  • My friends want me to watch this show now and I already know I'm going to find it sub-par. I do really want to see the episode with NPH that Joss Whedon directed out of curiosity, though.
  • My friends want me to watch this show now and I already know I'm going to find it sub-par. I do really want to see the episode with NPH that Joss Whedon directed out of curiosity, though.
    For extra fun while watching that episode, try to keep a running count of how many times the word "dream" is said or sung.
  • edited June 2010
    The show is light fare that could be a lot better if handled by a talented director and/or writer other then just a talented choreographer. (then it could rise to the level of Freaks and Geeks) I think they were pretty sure they were only going to get 13 eps and so they manically rushed through some plots that normally would be fleshed out. I'm curious how Season two will work out. They ended the school year at the last ep and didn't say anything about if any of them are graduating (we have no idea what grade they are in). If they add a few more dramatic characters and pay a bit more attention to running subplots instead of just forgetting about it. It could be pretty great. (and if they keep working musical numbers into scenes instead of apart from them)
    Post edited by Cremlian on