This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Really was surprised to enjoy Ant-man, At it's core it's a pretty basic heist story with super hero and comedic themes but it was also a father/daughter tale (which being a father of a daughter probably helped a lotfor me) I thought a lot of the comedy worked, a lot of the marvel history was thrown in there effectively and they managed to have a great cameo. Definitely a tighter experience then Age of Ultron but that's because they can focus more.
  • edited July 2015
    So anyway, Ant-man is also totally worth watching in 3D it works for all the size changing perspective shots that occur in the movie. I usually don't like 3D in movies but it did actually help the visuals in Ant-man and I wonder if they would have been as enjoyable without 3D.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • It's been a few years since the last time I did that, surely :)
  • Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines is really dumb up until the last five minutes, and then is probably my favourite scene of any of the Terminator movies. It's a pity that up until then we had to sit through such an unremarkable action movie.

Hint to makers of Terminator movies: the trucks in the finales of the first two movies were plot devices, not just big rigs to cause destruction. The fuel truck burnt Arnie down to the metal skeleton in the first movie, and the audience thought he was dead, but he came out of the flames. The liquid nitrogen truck in the second movie has the same role, but involves freezing not burning. In the third there is a big truck chase, but the only point seems to be "wouldn't it look cool if we drove a crane down this street and destroyed EVERYTHING?!?!??" Yeah, cool. Plot progressed? Not at all.

I've not seen Terminator Salvation, but I'll get to it before I watch Terminator Genisys.
  • Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines is really dumb up until the last five minutes, and then is probably my favourite scene of any of the Terminator movies.

I'm trying to remember what happened in the last five minutes and failing.
  • An Honest Liar - a documentary about James Randi. I bet documentary makers just LOVE it when a big unforeseen event happens to the subject of their film. They must immediately think "Wow, now our documentary has a perfect structure and a great third act!" This one was pretty surprising and very relevant to the main themes of both the documentary and Randi's goals in life.

Wait, what happened to Randi?
  • edited July 2015
    Starfox said:

An Honest Liar - a documentary about James Randi. I bet documentary makers just LOVE it when a big unforeseen event happens to the subject of their film. They must immediately think "Wow, now our documentary has a perfect structure and a great third act!" This one was pretty surprising and very relevant to the main themes of both the documentary and Randi's goals in life.

A heart attack, cancer, or coming out(publically, it was privately known) as gay, for the last big three, IIRC. Don't worry, Randi's fine.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Cremlian said:

So anyway, Ant-man is also totally worth watching in 3D it works for all the size changing perspective shots that occur in the movie. I usually don't like 3D in movies but it did actually help the visuals in Ant-man and I wonder if they would have been as enjoyable without 3D.

I pretty much agree with ScoJo. Looking forward to talking about this with Jason.

• Rochelle said:

Cremlian said:

I pretty much agree with ScoJo. Looking forward to talking about this with Jason.

Do you guys talk about these things on a non-trivia podcast? :-p
  • Churba said:

Starfox said:

A heart attack, cancer, or coming out(publically, it was privately known) as gay, for the last big three, IIRC. Don't worry, Randi's fine.
    Something different and in addition to all that. It's bigger, and very relevant to the title of the movie.

• Churba said:

Starfox said:

Something different and in addition to all that. It's bigger, and very relevant to the title of the movie.
    Huh, I'll have to check it out then.
  • Cremlian said:

Rochelle said:

Cremlian said:

Do you guys talk about these things on a non-trivia podcast? :-p
    Yep. We do Movie Nights or Bunker Talks. Recording tomorrow night.
  • I really liked Ant-Man. Story wise it is a lot better than Ultron. Good cameos, and great comedic scenes. Paul Rudd is a great Ant-Man, and Michael Douglas was a great Hank Pym. Totally recommend it, I will definitely with my family, or friends ( I was dumb and I step out before the second after credits scene)
  • Erwin said:

I really liked Ant-Man. Story wise it is a lot better than Ultron. Good cameos, and great comedic scenes. Paul Rudd is a great Ant-Man, and Michael Douglas was a great Hank Pym. Totally recommend it, I will definitely with my family, or friends ( I was dumb and I step out before the second after credits scene)

Does anyone else find the whole "after credits scene" thing annoying?
  • I think having a delay between the end of the movie lets the tension lower better for the comedic scenes, but it's really annoying to wait through the credits.
  • I actually enjoy the after the credit scenes, because I like to feel superior to the people walking out of the film early. It's not like you miss anything vital. (like a few Anime :-p)
  • I have no problem with the after credit scenes, I usually wait for credits to see who did what and after the movie however I also stopped going to public movie theatres and go to the parent's movie theatre room that my brother and I designed and then built and bought the components of.
  • I don't have a problem with scenes after the credits. I just think it's a cheap gimmick that rarely improves a film.
  • Stand By Me

12 Monkeys

Both great movies. Yeah.
  • Stand By Me. That was The Goonies for the previous half-generation of American kids.
  • Rym said:

Stand By Me. That was The Goonies for the previous half-generation of American kids.

• Well I didn't much care for Goonies so I probably wouldn't like that.
  • Stand By Me is very very very unlike the Goonies.
  • Stand By Me is very very very unlike the Goonies.

It's seen in the same nostalgic "movie from my childhood" way by a lot of people here.

• Where is here?
  • 'Murica. Where else matters?
  • Dromaro said:

'Murica. Where else matters?

You mean Murcia in Spain? Interesting, for me that movie seemed to be some where like Maine in the US.