This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• Now that I think about it, someone could edit about 40 seconds out of the movie and it would reduce the weird creepy stuff to almost nothing. Oral sex from a ghost? Who thought that was funny in the original? A few comments and looks from Bill Murray snipped out wouldn't reduce the funny. Have him not be so rapey with Sigourney Weaver too.
  • He is supposed to be a jerk...
  • Sure. But does a jerk have to be so rapey?
  • I don't think oral sex from a ghost landed as a joke back in the day, either. That scene has always stood out in a bad way.
  • Whiplash. I didn't know enough about this movie to guess it was another sociopath movie. What with Gone Girl and Nightcrawler, it's been quite a stressful few weeks of movies! All really good though.
  • I had to repull this old gem for my panel MAGFest 2.0 Documentary
  • Iron Man 3 is better than I thought it would be. That might just be because I had my internal wires crossed about that and Iron Man 2, which I've still not seen. I thought I'd learn who some new-to-me characters were that turned up in Avengers 2. But no, they were introduced in Iron Man 2, it seems.

Also: The Hunt for Red October. I've not seen this movie in about 20 years. Apart from a few dodgy special effects shots, it holds up really well. Turns out the guy who directed Die Hard, Predator, and Last Action Hero knows how to make fun movies.
  • Staffing screenings for ConnectiCon forced me to watch The Gamers: Hands of Something or Other. It's absolutely awful, and at times offensive. Avoid at all costs.
  • The Somm documentary was really good and interesting. The devotion these people have to have to earn the rank of Master Sommelier is just insane.
  • I thought Iron Man 3 was... bad. Iron Man 1 I liked. 3 was too comic book jerk-offy.
  • I enjoyed Iron Man 3 besides the climax fight. The whole kid subplot somehow worked and wasn't annoying. The misdirection on the villain I thought was pretty fun. The end was kinda BS though.
  • I liked 3 better than 2 but less than 1. It was ok but my main problem was end as well. Like hmm couldn't those have come in handy earlier in the film?

Also, Mad Mad Fury Road. Holy shit. They definitely did the series justice. I like some of the nods to the earlier films. I do wish there was a little more Max in the movie, but it was hardly the feminist social justice film some idiots accused it of being.
  • Iron Man 3 was a surprise in that I thought it was going to be bad, and it turned out good/enjoyable. I liked the Mandarin twist. I liked the characters and most of the action. But yeah, I think they needed to work on some plotting at the end. Why didn't those suits turn up earlier? Unclear.
  • Took my daughter to see Home last night. The movie itself is was pretty rough. I'd say it was like a C-. Just below average. The formula was incredibly simple, and the humor relied too much on the easy jokes.

On the other hand, we got to see it for free at Metlife Stadium (where the Jets and Giants play), laying on a blanket on the field. It was actually a really great way to see a movie. The stadium is only a few years old, so they have gigantic screens in every corner of the field. If your view is blocked, just turn your head 45 degrees and watch on the other one. If you're in midfield, take your pick of all 4. It's also a great way to lay outside in the summer night and not have to cover yourself in a mosquito net. There's not a tree or bush within sight of that concrete jungle, so the flying insect population is essentially nil.
  • Iron Man 3 was a surprise in that I thought it was going to be bad, and it turned out good/enjoyable. I liked the Mandarin twist. I liked the characters and most of the action. But yeah, I think they needed to work on some plotting at the end. Why didn't those suits turn up earlier? Unclear.

I think they were stuck under the rubble of Tony's house.
  • In Bruges
    I watched this movie on a whim and I was surprised at how charming, deep, sad and funny scenes were throughout it. I don't know how I missed it. Well I do, I assumed Colin Farrell couldn't act and then saw him act well in True Detective.
    I guess I haven't watched an understated film in some time.
    The city of Bruges itself was an interesting character.
  • I was expecting the sexism in On Her Majesty's Secret Service, but the racism was a surprise bonus. Turns out the cuisine for black people is ... a banana. Right.
  • I watched In Bruges at a theatre in the center of Bruges. It's one of my favorite movie experiences ever, seeing a city, watching a movie about the city int the city, and then seeing then walking out the theatre and seeing the city more, but in a totally different light.
  • I watched In Bruges at a theatre in the center of Bruges. It's one of my favorite movie experiences ever, seeing a city, watching a movie about the city int the city, and then seeing then walking out the theatre and seeing the city more, but in a totally different light.

I would love to have that experience, that place looks amazing, next time I visit Europe I'll stop by there.

• edited July 2015
    Just re-watched Jurassic Park on Blu-ray at my brother's house, the movie stands up so well. All the dialogue was necessary and there wasn't too much of it. Everything from the soundtrack, specific scenes, sound effects and Dr. Ian Malcolm were really enjoyable. I haven't watched it in over a decade and I could totally watch it again tomorrow.
    There is likely some nostalgia there but I think it's just a really well directed film with a great screenplay. This movie is one of those instances when having the book author co-write the movie really assisted the movie.
    Also I totally forgot Samuel L. Jackson was in the movie. That guy is still in blockbusters today.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • I always point to the T-Rex scene as probably one of the best scenes in cinema.
  • Back to the Future II. I always thought this was the weaker one, but it's really not bad at all. I can't wait until October to buy my hover board.
  • edited July 2015
    In contrast to Jurassic World which was mostly fan service, poor character design, plot holes, illogical plot twists, deus ex machina, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

However what bothered me most was the over usage of the theme song. It didn't seem to stop, but seemed to cut in and out at awkward moments.

[spoiler]
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • Back to the Future II. I always thought this was the weaker one, but it's really not bad at all. I can't wait until October to buy my hover board.

People always say that but I think that's mostly only applies if you were watching it when it came out. A lot of people just expected another back to the future but complained that it was only half a movie, which makes sense because it was filmed at the same time as 3. That's not really a big deal now when you can just watch 3 afterwards if you feel 2 didn't have enough of an ending.

I was just watching this today, I didn't even realise that the sequels were filmed at the same time when I watched these movies as a kid but it was obvious on re-watching it.
    I doubt a plot as convoluted or maybe complicated as this would be accepted by a production company today (especially one spanning a trilogy).
  • edited July 2015
    I saw 13 assassins pretty recently. It's a pretty straightforward Japanese historial martial arts movie.

The first half of the movie they spend introducing the characters and getting the band of 13 assassins together. The second half is one big long action scene where they execute their plan to assassinate the bad guy. That's pretty much it.

What really stood out to me as special about this movie is how they setup the bad guy. He's just so bad. You hate him immediately. All the way to the end he is completely reprehensible. He's just pure evil that never even shows one sign of any goodness at all. When his army is getting massacred by the assassins he's all like "Wow, this is awesome! We should totally go back to having wars again!"
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • An Honest Liar - a documentary about James Randi. I bet documentary makers just LOVE it when a big unforeseen event happens to the subject of their film. They must immediately think "Wow, now our documentary has a perfect structure and a great third act!" This one was pretty surprising and very relevant to the main themes of both the documentary and Randi's goals in life.
  • Apreche said:

I saw 13 assassins pretty recently. It's a pretty straightforward Japanese historial martial arts movie.

The first half of the movie they spend introducing the characters and getting the band of 13 assassins together. The second half is one big long action scene where they execute their plan to assassinate the bad guy. That's pretty much it.

What really stood out to me as special about this movie is how they setup the bad guy. He's just so bad. You hate him immediately. All the way to the end he is completely reprehensible. He's just pure evil that never even shows one sign of any goodness at all. When his army is getting massacred by the assassins he's all like "Wow, this is awesome! We should totally go back to having wars again!"

Yeah, 13 Assassins was basically The Seven Samurai but with more samurai, more blood, and the evillest bad guy.
  • SPOILERS AHEAD

Watched "The World's End" today. I knew absolutely nothing about the film other than it being in the same vein as Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, both of which I really liked. So the film starts out with the narration of past events and when it zooms out revealing that the narrator is talking to a therapy group of which he is a member the first thought is "wait, is this an AA group or something else entirely?"

So I follow along the pub crawl of the main characters, and just when I think here comes the character break down, someones head pops off. Well, I should have expected something like this, but I did not.

Anyway, true to the Cornetto trilogy this is a very funny movie that wraps the exploration of different characters and relationships in a genre film. It's not as good as the Hot Fuzz or Shaun, but still very much worth watching.
  • Ilmarinen said:

Apreche said:

Yeah, 13 Assassins was basically The Seven Samurai but with more samurai, more blood, and the evillest bad guy.
    Even mentioning it in the same sentence as 7 Samurai is an insult to all cinema.