This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

That Fucking Volcano

Comments

• Churba=winner of time and space.
    He said what I was thinking, better than I would've said it if I'd wanted to bother.

Anyway, is there some huge outrage at nature over this or something? As awesome as human flight is, being stuck somewhere sucks, and it's perfectly natural to vent over it. But I suppose if Scott's apartment burned down, he'd just be glad we have fire.
  • But I suppose if Scott's apartment burned down, he'd just be glad we have fire.
    Didn't the BBC run an article on a World Without Fire recently?
  • But I suppose if Scott's apartment burned down, he'd just be glad we have fire.
    Didn't the BBC run an article on a World Without Fire recently?
    If they did, I can sum it up without reading it.
    No heated homes, no hot food of any kind (if we couldn't make fire, how are we going to make Microwaves), no flight, no cars, no war. Yeah...
  • I am in the Santa Clara/San Francisco area on business from the UK, and because of this I get a weeks more holiday and it's all being paid for by my work. A winner is me, lol ;-)

However, I feel for all the people that are running out out of holiday money. An extra weeks hotel and food money is a pretty big unexpected expense if you ask me, especially those on family holidays.
  • Didn't the BBC run an article on a World Without Fire recently?
    Did a quick Google and couldn't find anything -- I'd love to read it.
  • Churba's absolutely right, and I honestly thought Scott was trolling or joking around.

I was horrified to find out that he wasn't.
  • Didn't the BBC run an article on a World Without Fire recently?
    Did a quick Google and couldn't find anything -- I'd love to read it.
    It was a joke; Scott linked to an article by the BBC on the "world without flying."
  • It was a joke; Scott linked to an article by the BBC on the "world without flying."
    Aaaaaaargh, Sail was right in the whisper that he sent me to spare me the public embarrassment!
  • edited April 2010
    It was a joke; Scott linked to an article by the BBC on the "world without flying."
    Aaaaaaargh, Sail was right in the whisper that he sent me to spare me the public embarrassment!
    Why did you ignore him? Furthermore, if google couldn't find it after a few searches, you still assumed it existed?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Funfetus chose to take his humiliation like a man.
  • It was a joke; Scott linked to an article by the BBC on the "world without flying."
    Why did you ignore him? Furthermore, if google couldn't find it after a few searches, you still assumed it existed?
    That sounded like Nine.
  • . But I suppose if Scott's apartment burned down, he'd just be glad we have fire.
    I got renter's insurance, sprinklers, fire resistant construction and the NYFD. Think about that. We can control fire. Fire is our bitch. It comes out of the stove, and it stays put. That is amazing.
  • You're all missing the point. The only reason it's silly to complain about the volcano is that there's no one to complain to. If you're complaining about something over which no human has control and about which you intend to do nothing, you're not complaining, you're whining. You're basically being a child.

It's understandable to be irritated at the disruption. It's reasonable to complain about possible poor handling by local humans. It is, however, laughable to complain about the volcano itself: it's not like anyone can stop it. It's like complaining that it rained over your vacation, or that it wasn't sunny enough while you were in Disney World. If you ever travel under the assumption that nothing will go wrong or without the ability to manage even substantial disasters/delays, you probably shouldn't have been traveling in the first place.

Of course, people do complain regularly about the latter two examples. That's why you can purchase vacation insurance. ^_~

(Don't conflate my position with Scott's here, either. He dug his own argument to lie in).
  • no one to complain to
    We should use this opportunity to say things like "Just invest more in science and we'll have tectonic control in no time.".
  • That's why you can purchase vacation insurance. ^_~
    It may be too late for traveler's insurance against the volcano. If you didn't get it before, you almost definitely can't get it now. http://www.komonews.com/news/local/91435204.html
  • Days off school! What is there to worry about?
  • no one to complain to
    We should use this opportunity to say things like "Just invest more in science and we'll have tectonic control in no time.".
    You should read my first novel. That ıs, of course, science fiction.

İ´m not complaining about the volcano, and İ'm not sure how anyone thought İ was from my post. The "Fuckiıng" in the title is more to do with the name than the situation. No matter what happens, İ'm having a great time here in İstanbul. İf İ get to my next gig, great, but if not İ have work here tomorrow night, due to a performer not being able to fly in from Berlin! And if İ can't fly to spain, İ know İ can probably join another cruise ship here or in Kusadasi. Even a train rıde home, while taking 45 hours, would take me to many interesting countries İ've not been to before.
    That sounded like Nine.
    Even Nine is right some of the time.
  • Days off school! What is there to worry about?
    Unfortunately, school started and there was no volcano day today. It almost happened though, with something like 20% of students and teachers trapped and unable to come to school as a two week break just finished. It would have been the first ever volcano day at the school, and it would have been totally sweet.
  • This seems to have a lot less to do with the right to "complain" and a lot more to do with not having sympathy for people in an akward-to-bad situation (depending on their individual circumstances).
  • My roommate's Property professor is in Europe. Oops. Time to test the distance-learning system!
  • Also, it looks like some of the complaints might be valid as planes may have been grounded by governments in locations where the cloud was not actually issue, per a report on NPR.
  • You're all missing the point. The only reason it's silly to complain about the volcano is that there's no one to complain to. If you're complaining about something over which no human has control and about which you intend to do nothing, you're not complaining, you're whining. You're basically being a child.
    I'm not missing the point. I'm just here to watch Scott make a well spoken fool of himself.
    (Don't conflate my position with Scott's here, either. He dug his own argument to lie in).
    I'm not, like I said, I just came to throw a few shovels of dirt on and plant the headstone.
    Also, it looks like some of the complaints might be valid as planes may have been grounded by governments in locations where the cloud was not actually issue, per a report on NPR.
    The Cloud has shut down airports in St John, Canada, and apparently some think that it could make it as far as New York.

Also, I should note - The reason isn't the Ash Cloud, Per Se. It's actually hot particles of rock being propelled into the air, and when it hits the colder temperature at altitude, it essentially turns into a cloud of tiny stones and Mica Glass, rather than ash - Stuff that you really don't want to suck through your engines in any great amount, which of course, is exactly what a jet would do.
  • Limbaugh!
    He's close, but no cigar. It's the Invisible Pink Unicorn's wrath that our Holy Rainbow Brigade still allows Limbaugh to live. Anyway, didn't he declare he was moving to Canada if HCR passed? I don't see any bags packed.
  • Day two off school! Yay!
  • Day two off school! Yay!
    I hate you so much. My school almost never shuts down.
  • Limbaugh!
    He's close, but no cigar. It's the Invisible Pink Unicorn's wrath that our Holy Rainbow Brigade still allows Limbaugh to live. Anyway, didn't he declare he was moving to Canada if HCR passed? I don't see any bags packed.
    Is there audio of this? Rush's humor is often lost when transcribed.
  • Rush's humor
    Well, that was the funniest thing I've read in a long time.