This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Super Street Fighter IV

Comments

• I don't even know why they have wired mics. The 360 should just come with the wireless one.
  • edited May 2010
    I don't even know why they have wired mics. The 360 should just come with the wireless one.
    Because they're cheap to produce. Hell, they practically give them away with the other peripherals (chatpad, camera). If they gave you a wireless headset to start with that would cut them off from yet another revenue source - this is Microsoft we're talking about, after all. Who else would have the balls to charge you upside of $200 for a $50 laptop hard drive in a proprietary case?
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • Who else would have the balls to charge you upside of $200 for a $50 laptop hard drive in a proprietary case?
    Everyone.
  • Everyone.
    I would cite that Sony generally doesn't give a damn what hard drive you jack into your PS3 and as such doesn't try to rake you over the coals by selling a proprietary peripheral, so you're not locked in to having to buy their drive if you want to upgrade. Most laptop vendors use standard SATA connectors these days, so upgrading a laptop drive is trivial. If someone is so desperate for a backup device that they go out and buy a laptop drive in an external case for a premium price, that's their stupidity because you can get an external chassis and drive for cheap. You can't exactly crack open a 360's hard drive case and just jack in a bigger drive, so you're stuck shelling out the premium for their proprietary interface because you have no other option. So exactly who would you say is "Everyone"?
  • I would cite that Sony generally doesn't give a damn what hard drive...
    You mean Memory Stick Sony?
  • edited May 2010
    I would cite that Sony generally doesn't give a damn what hard drive...
    You mean Memory Stick Sony?
    We're talking about hard drives for consoles here, not memory sticks. Sony doesn't force you to use Memory Stick media to store files on the PS3. And before you mention that MS will let you hook up a USB hard drive, you can only use 16 GB of whatever HDD you hook up, so you'll never be able to get around their proprietary drive limitation that way either.
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • I think it said I was called a "gay fag."
    I've been called a "pussy-licking faggot" over Live once. That is definitely the pinnacle of shit-cockery that I've experienced on it.
  • edited May 2010
    Hmm, they called you a lesbian in a pejorative way, quite unusual since it's generally a safe bet that someone playing is male.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • We're talking about hard drives for consoles here, not memory sticks. Sony doesn't force you to use Memory Stick media to store files on the PS3. And before you mention that MS will let you hook up a USB hard drive, you can only use 16 GB of whatever HDD you hook up, so you'll never be able to get around their proprietary drive limitation that way either.
    The point is that they are all trying to rip you off in one way or another. MS is not uniquely evil.
  • JayJay
    edited May 2010
    I've been negative repped for being "to aggressive" or "unsportsmanlike conduct" many times, been quit on before winning a match several times, but I have had only one case of being "shitcocked". The player messaged me claiming that I was an "lag abusing fag that used an scummy character". He was using Sagat. I found that amusing.
    Post edited by Jay on
  • edited May 2010
    I <3 Cammy and her air throws.

EDIT: Second bit of hate mail. Apparently I need to "get a life".
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • I <3 Cammy and her air throws.</p>
    Cammy is very high on my most hated list.
  • I <3 Cammy and her air throws.</p>
    Seconded. Although I need to work on my air throwing.
  • I love using Cammy :-)
  • I love using Cammy :-)
  • Ok, so I'm trying to beat the game on HARDEST difficulty. I assumed that it would be so hard I wouldn't even be able to beat the first guy. I was wrong.

I beat ALL the guys. Every single one of them went down like a chump. Why the fuck did they make it so easy? I didn't lose even one round.

Oh wait, that was until I got to Seth. Seth is 10 billion times harder than all the other characters combined. WHAT THE FUCK. I can't even win a single round, sometimes I can't even take away 1/4th of his health. The first round I played I did exactly one point of damage, and that was it.

What is the explanation for this? If Seth is really that awesome, maybe I should just learn him and always do exactly what that AI would do. I highly doubt Seth is really that strong, because nobody plays him.

Did the Capcom guys just put way more time and effort into Seth's AI because he's the boss? If so, fuck them. The difficulty is supposed to scale. It's not supposed to suddenly shoot through the roof. Sure, it's hardest difficulty, so make every character impossibly hard, not just the boss.

Or maybe Seth is cheating somehow? I know that's highly unlikely, but it almost seems as if the computer is using extra information. For example, he will do the move where he turns black and sucks you in. If I block high, he hits low. If I block low, he hits high. Is the AI programmed to look at my inputs, before they are animated on screen, and react accordingly?

Also, it's almost definitely the case that I just suck, but I notice that I'm having trouble with the controls against Seth that I don't have at any other time. I will do a psycho crusher, and a scissor kick will come out, even though I didn't touch any kick buttons. I may not have the skills to execute the super or ultra every time, so if those don't execute I'm not surprised. But I think I've practiced the basic moves enough, that I tend not to screw them up.

It also seems like every single one of Seth's moves always takes priority over mine. Even my trusty EX head stomp gets beaten by his uppercut. Almost every attack I try is countered with a devastating array of blows, often ending in a stun. On the rare occasion he blocks, there is no escape. I even tried to EX dash to get away, no dice. As soon as there's a break, he comes in. On the rare occasion I hit, I get my combo off and do some damage. After that, I'm back to square one.

How do you fucking beat this guy?
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2010
    Sesame Street Fighter!!!
    There is actually a shirt that is a lot like that. It's almost what I got Scott for his Secret Santa gift instead of the awesomely degrading boo purse :P
    Post edited by Geo on
  • @ Scott: To be fair, Seth Killian saidin an interview on Kotaku that Capcom did tweak Seth to be more cheaty.
    Changes to the game will include balancing tweaks, but at least one famously irritating character won't be made easier to take on, he'll be made harder.

"Seth will be even cheaper and more irritating," Killian said.
  • "Seth will be even cheaper and more irritating," Killian said.
    I don't know who this Killian person is, but if I meet him, I'm going to kick him in the junk.
  • I like how "cheap" has become official video game lingo.
  • edited May 2010
    "Seth will be even cheaper and more irritating," Killian said.
    I don't know who this Killian person is, but if I meet him, I'm going to kick him in the junk.
    Scott that's inappropriate. You should spam his lower zone with HKs.

EDIT: OR you could try this move out:
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • Also, it's almost definitely the case that I just suck, but I notice that I'm having trouble with the controls against Seth that I don't have at any other time. I will do a psycho crusher, and a scissor kick will come out, even though I didn't touch any kick buttons. I may not have the skills to execute the super or ultra every time, so if those don't execute I'm not surprised. But I think I've practiced the basic moves enough, that I tend not to screw them up.
    I believe that this is easily explainable. When you started to play SF, did you have the situation where you could execute any move perfectly on practice mode, but not against bot, this is the same thing. When you play practise mode, or fight easy opponent you are (somewhat) relaxed and can execute the moves right, but when you play against harder opponent you get nervous and excited and that tends to fuck your gameplay.
  • edited May 2010
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • Oh wait, that was until I got to Seth. Seth is 10 billion times harder than all the other characters combined. WHAT THE FUCK.
    I had a similar problem when I played SF4 when it came out, Seth's combo's tend to destroy your health bar really quickly if you don't interrupt or block or pick the appropriate counter.

The main issue for me was that he played like a bunch of different characters, - Shoto, Rufus - like, Dahlsim sometimes too. I found I had to counter or play depending on which move the AI threw down first, getting out of the way of the Ultimate is also really helpful in round 2, landing your own ultimate make it 10x easier, I tend to leave this to finish him off otherwise he comes back with a combo and ultimate immediately.

I'm more of an Akuma player so I can't give you the exact details on how to break him easily. Using jumping High kicks or sweeps helped me alot when he changes colour but Bison's sweep is a bit slow.
  • I am slowly getting better with Ibuki, I'm now winning about 1/4th of the matches that I enter which is amazing considering how much I sucked at the beginning. If anyone wants to fight my xbox account is shuffledeck52.
  • I am slowly getting better with Ibuki, I'm now winning about 1/4th of the matches that I enter which is amazing considering how much I sucked at the beginning. If anyone wants to fight my xbox account is shuffledeck52.
    Starting off is hard. I pretty much started at square one with SF4 about 6 months ago. I even bought a stick nearly immediately which made it even worse because I was learning the game and learning how to use a stick. Essentially fighting two battles at once. The first thing to overcome is execution. Being able to do all normal moves and ultra's on command (what you've probably already accomplished). The second thing to overcome is getting at least a few basic combo's down so you can do them 90% of the time. That requires lots of practice mode training if your not naturally talented (I wasn't).

The last base item you need to start winning is to have a plan. Your Ryu vs Zangief. What do you do? You do not let him in. You abuse fireballs and dragon punches. You mix in back dashes and escape from the corner with jump hurricane kicks. When you have ultra you randomly become more aggressive to mix up your opponent and because any landed dragon punch/corner ex hurricane kick can result in large damage so the risk/reward ratio is different. Now this is perhaps a more in depth plan then you want when you just start (and is probably wrong I don't play ryu) but it gives you the idea. As soon as you have a plan you can think ahead about what you will do and this will help you stay calm. Once you get the above 3 down you generally will start winning 7/10 matches until you get to higher rankings. The vast majority of people that play don't think, they just jump forward and do the basic combo they learned and hope it connects.

The last item I can suggest is think about every match after you finish it. What did you do right? What did you do wrong? Every time you got hit why did that happen? How could have you avoided it? Did you drop any combos? Maybe you should practice that combo for a few minutes to refresh your muscle memory.

On a side not of thinking about matches, I believe there is a way to record any match after you finish it but I have no clue how. Anyone know how to use this feature?
  • Thanks for the advice, its hard getting into the right mindset for this game. The only other fighting game that I was any good at was Soul Calibur 4, which while fun, is not that good of a fighting game, so the transition to Street Fighter was a little rough.
  • No problem. I'll add you on live you can play my scrubby Dudley that I am trying to level up. My name is Zahogamafugen (I think that's how it's spelled it's my cousins account that I have stolen since he doesn't use it) Also, I recently added most of the people on IDShare I don't remember seeing your account. You should set yourself up on it.
  • Got a question. I'm not paying moneys and I I'm not getting SF4. Is there anyway I can get cool looking outfits and accessories? I'm hoping beating it on 8 or completing trials will unlock it. And by beating it, I mean allowing me to lose a round or two.