This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20100715 - ConnectiCon 2010

edited July 2010 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we talk a bit about ConnectiCon 2010, where we happened to be the heads of Panels and Workshops. In the news, Otakon has (thankfully) banned the dreaded vuvuzela, and Old Spice is doing a good job of promoting Isaiah Mustafa. Also, sadly, we announce that we will not in fact be performing any of our panels at Otakon this year due to scheduling issues.

Download MP3

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Thursday randomness - yay!

Expanded Show Notes:

Geeknights 20100715 - ConnectiCon 2010

Expanded Show Notes - Show Run Time: 01:18:53

Time | Notes
    ---------+----------------------------------------------------------
    00:00:00 | Intro
    00:00:25 | Opening Chit-Chat
    | - We're back from ConnectiCon and Rym has his voice totally back
    | - Rym & Scott were heads of panels for ConnectiCon
    | - WTF is Crab People?
    | - DVD commentary tangent
    | - Scott doesn't dig Joss Whedon's work
    | = Scott is a healthy person... right?
    | - Too many cons = wrecked health
    | - Scott's adventures at the dentist and the doctor
    00:11:38 | News
    | = Otacon has banned the vuvuzela
    | - Scott questions the ban, based on the music room area of the con
    | - Rym posits that if you can play more than one note on it, they should let the instrument in
    | - Practicality wins when it comes to banning the annoyances
    | - Vocal minority is riled up about it
    | - Discussion of banning the hug signs
    00:16:58 | = Old Spice ads and Isaiah Mustafa
    | - Is this really going to sell more Old Spice products?
    | - Old Spice smell is old and busted - it needs new smells
    | - Do ad campaigns really work on internet-savvy people?
    | - Discussion of the actual sell-through rate of products
    00:22:09 | Things of the Day
    | - Rym considers his problem solving abilities in relation to cooking
    | = Rym - How to make a Broiler/Oven Map
    | = Scott - A PETITION From the Manufacturers of Candles, Tapers, Lanterns, etc...
    | - Old technology wants sanctions against new technology?
    | - Don't make laws against the reality of the world for the benefit of business
    00:26:25 | Meta Moment
    | = Otakon 2010, 7/30-8/1
    | - Geeknights will not be in attendance due to scheduling conflicts
    | - Otakon failed in their lack of releasing the schedule
    | - Transport is difficult now that Geeknights has relocated to NYC
    | - Otakon is still not mailing the badges
    | - Otakon does not give Geeknights the treatment it deserves
    | = PAX Prime 2010, 9/3-9/5 - Labor Day Weekend
    | - Geeknights will be doing at least two panels
    | - Egregiously Unrealized Potential
    | - Game Mechanics and Mechanism Design
    | = NYAF/NYCC 2010, 10/8-10/10
    | - Geeknights will be doing panels on Friday and Saturday
    | = Ghibli movie based on Earthsea will be released soon
    | = Book Club: The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
    00:33:00 | Main Topic
    | = ConnectiCon!
    | - Fan Perspective first, then Meta
    | - Response to the con: "Holy shit, that con looks awesome!"
    | - With most cons it is almost impossible to see every panel...
    | - ...Scrym got a chance to sample most of them...
    | - ...and the majority of them were full of WIN
    | - The con itself is an "everything con" - anything geeky goes
    | - Workshop building rooms - discussion of the sessions
    | - Discussion of non-Victorian steampunk
    | - Many of the session rooms were packed to capacity
    | - Discussion of fire marshals
    | - Not every panel was perfect, but the majority were excellent
    | - Roundtable-style panels were a big hit
    | - Con went off without a hitch
    | - Reg line was ok, but they should still mail the badges
    | - Areas of the con discussion
    | - Video Games
    | - Artist's Colony
    | - Tabletop Gaming (is better than many straight-up tabletop game cons)
    | - Role-Play Gaming
    | - Discussion of Luke Crane and his posse
    | - Hartford Convention Center is slowly getting filled by the entire con
    | - Hartford Convention Center Meta
    | - Ballroom (for the dance)
    | - Showing rooms & All-night gaming rooms
    | - Concession prices were reasonable
    | - Stay away from the at-con food at most cons, but ConnectiCon was ok
    | - Meta-discusson of technology at the con
    | - Don't do your presentation on a Mac laptop if you can't remember to bring your video adapter
    | - Main Events is super well put together
    | - Late-night panels were still well-attended
    | - The con was a lot of fun
    | - Discussion of bringing Daryl Surat in for future cons
    | - Discussion of the super-professional panelists
    | - Discussion of the people who handled panels impromptu-style
    | - Story Time - 2002 Ohayocon - Anime Club Summit - Rym and Scott ran the panel impromptu-style
    | - Discussion of the genesis of Geeknights
    | - Saturday of ConnectiCon - Oversleeping the Good Morning ConnectiCon panel
    | - Discussion of the Hentai Worth Watching panel
    | - Discussion of the What? Why? Hentai! panel
    | - Dealer's Room - Scott scoreed a Krauser Revoltech and Roll Through the Ages
    | - Shout-outs!
    | - Art the Hypnotist at Good Morning ConnectiCon
    | - Discussion of some of the panels
    | - Negatives of ConnectiCon:
    | - Publications
    | - Parking is expensive
    | - Hartford sucks for food
    | - Line for the badges
    | - Prizes for playing the boardgames needs adjusted
    | - Bag Check for entry to Dealer's Room was useless and there were shoplifting problems
    | - Final note: Racist Dude in the Barbershop and the awesome cops in the hotel at the con
    | - Already generating a list of people for callbacks next year
    | - Meta on the Geeknights panels at the con
    01:17:54 | Outro
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • For reference, the ConnectiCon schedule (in tiny print, munged by ImageShack):
  • What is the difference between the red and blue listings on the schedule?
  • What is the difference between the red and blue listings on the schedule?
    Red was in the con book. The blue where add after the book when to print.
  • It was bugging me all weekend, but you were too busy for me to ask. Rym, what shoes were you wearing? They were like water shoe meets ballet slipper.
  • You don't like Dr. Horrible, Scott? Come on, what's didn't appeal to you?
  • It was bugging me all weekend, but you were too busy for me to ask. Rym, what shoes were you wearing? They were like water shoe meets ballet slipper.
    If they're what I think they were (I've seen him in these before), they were probably Vibram FiveFingers, which I really want to get me a pair of.
    Fun, Humor, musicals, Life, the idea of a girlfriend, Nathan causes Rubin to question his sexuality.
    Fun, Humor, musicals, Life, the idea of a girlfriend, Nathan causes Rubin to question his sexuality.
    I thought Scott didn't like pretty much anything Weadon.
  • I thought Scott didn't like pretty much anything Weadon.
    Nope the above reasons are totally 100% true.
  • I thought Scott didn't like pretty much anything Weadon.
    Nope the above reasons are totally 100% true.
    Well, I mean, that too. It's obvious that if Scott were exposed to love, his tiny heart would grow three sizes, and he'd have to give all the presents back to the Whos in Whoville.

And he needs that shit, man.
  • edited July 2010
    If they're what I think they were (I've seen him in these before), they were probablyVibram FiveFingers, which I really want to get me a pair of.
    I was making fun of these at the con, mostly cause they look ridiculous and because I thought they were mad expensive (like most things of this type). But you can get a pair of classics for $75, I think I'll have to try these. If nothing else these look like an awesome driving shoe.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited July 2010
    You know what. Screw Otakon, I'm going to ConnectiCon.

Also, people do do steampunk plus something else. I see it mostly with Chinese or Japanese attire.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • You know what. Screw Otakon, I'm going to ConnectiCon.

Also, people do do steampunk plus something else. I see it mostly with Chinese or Japanese attire.
    Yeah, like I said in the Otakon thread, there's just something icky about going to a con that's run like a frat house. Plus, Connecticon, from what I've heard, has a kinda PAX-with-anime-and-webcomics-smashed-on vibe to it, which I can really dig.

Even if I do want to tell Tim Buckley, at length, that he should stop existing.
  • From the way you guys have described it, ConnectiCon sounds like it's definitely more of a win than Otakon. It's too bad you likely won't ever be out in the Columbus area for an Origins or in Indy for a GenCon so you could compare and contrast the three.
  • I got a little scared, at first, when Scott mentioned randyness and old men in the same sentence.
  • edited July 2010
    I got a little scared, at first, when Scott mentionedrandynessand old men in the same sentence.
    Yeah, homophones are the bane of some of the bits of this show (Randi versus randy).
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • Ads do work on internet savvy people, just in a different way. My wife got me some of the Old Spice body wash and deodorant; she wouldn't have thought of seeing if she liked any of their products before.
  • I am also inclined to give Old Spice at least a sniff, coming from a country that lacks the Old Spice for old people stigma.
  • I am also inclined to give Old Spice at least a sniff, coming from a country that lacks the Old Spice for old people stigma.
  • edited July 2010
    Well, I mean, that too. It's obvious that if Scott were exposed to love, his tiny heart would grow three sizes, and he'd have to give all the presents back to the Whos in Whoville.
    Some say Scott has a lump of coal for a heart, but that's foolish. After so long, with so much pressure of building rage, and heated by the blazing fires of his disdain, what once was a heart of coal is now a Diamond. A diamond made of hatred.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Sounds like this year was awesome. The last time I went was in 2008... but maybe I'll consider coming back next summer.

One thing that definitely needs to be improved: web design. Seriously, get a better website, Connecticon!
  • I'm really interested in what was said at the "How to Run a Panel" panel. I've been kicking an idea for one around in my head for a while now. Listening to some GeekNights has made me realize the fact that most people who run panels are just normal guys, and that if I've got an idea I should get off my ass and work on it. I have no shortage of public speaking experience, but would just need some time to refine my topic in front of a geeky audience. Aside from recording myself or speaking to friends, I'm going to have to seek out a small-time con to get my feet wet. Anyone have any suggestions for one of these cons?
  • Basically, prepare prepare prepare. Run the panel for your friends/club and time yourself. Aim for around 50-55 minutes if you're not going to take questions, so you don't go over (assuming an hour panel. Aim for 1:40-1:50 for a two hour panel). Don't try to do something that's not natural. Only have as many panelists up there as need to be up there; two is generally my maximum, three is for certain panels. And don't ever just do a panel for the free badge.
  • I have no shortage of public speaking experience
    You're probably better off then 99% of the people who want to do a panel already.
    Anyone have any suggestions for one of these cons?
    Find a local con. You'll get to meet cool or frightening people in your area and work on you're project. A decent site for finding conventions is AnimeCons.com
  • Finally got around to this podcast. Now I really wish I was able to go this year.

Perhaps I can arrange to go next year and do a panel with Nuri and maybe a cross-stitch panel or something.
  • Perhaps I can arrange to go next year and do a panel with Nuri and maybe a cross-stitch panel or something.
    I really want to do a Making Things With String panel... I realized at my Workshop this year that I had much more to talk about and a panel would have been a good format. Teaching beginning knitters (esp 4 left-handed one, OMGWTF?) left pretty much no time for anything else.

I definitely learned that if you are going to do a workshop, just make kits and charge a materials fee. Don't count on people to bring their own supplies, esp since the panels are unlikely to be announced very far in advance or in a place that is accessible.
  • I have a feeling that next year, finances willing, I'm going to make an effort to go to both PAX East and ConnectiCon as my two east coast cons. PAX for obvious reasons, but ConnectiCon feels like a good enough mix of things that I won't get bored or annoyed like I have at anime cons in the past. Plus, outside of Florida, the only place on the east coast I've actually been to is DC. It would nice to see more of what the east has to offer.
  • Anyone who went to my panel at Connecticon this year about comic theory, you should be reading (if you already aren't) Aaron Diaz's tumblr blog. He's the guy that does Dresden Codak, which we brought up a few times during the panel.
  • Anyone who went to my Initial D panel... I'd like to again extend my deepist apologies.