This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20100715 - ConnectiCon 2010

2»

Comments

• Don't judge the east based on shitty Hartford.
  • I really want to do a Making Things With String panel... I realized at my Workshop this year that I had much more to talk about and a panel would have been a good format. Teaching beginning knitters (esp 4 left-handed one, OMGWTF?) left pretty much no time for anything else.
    That's cool. Perhaps do two panels. One is talking about making things with string the other be an actual workshop of learning the basics.
    I definitely learned that if you are going to do a workshop, just make kits and charge a materials fee. Don't count on people to bring their own supplies, esp since the panels are unlikely to be announced very far in advance or in a place that is accessible.
    Yeah I was thinking about that too. If I were to do this with cross-stitch, I would get really cheap wooden fabric hoops and use a lot of left over floss that I have. Have pre-cut 14 count cross-stitch fabric and maybe even designs on them to easily follow.

Are you going to run a similar panel next year? If so, we should be in cahoots and plan something cool. ^_^
  • Anyone who went to my Initial D panel... I'd like to again extend my deepist apologies.
    Goodness, what did you do? ;P
  • Fail...that is all.
  • Basically, prepare prepare prepare. Run the panel for your friends/club and time yourself. Aim for around 50-55 minutes if you're not going to take questions, so you don't go over (assuming an hour panel. Aim for 1:40-1:50 for a two hour panel). Don't try to do something that's not natural. Only have as many panelists up there as need to be up there; two is generally my maximum, three is for certain panels. And don't ever just do a panel for the free badge.
    Thanks, sounds like solid advice. Although I've done some speaking in front of large crowds in college, all of my experience these days is from work. I am the designated presenter for my branch, and brief groups of VIPs, assorted bigshots, and their entourage of middle managers whenever they come through our area. So while I do well in front of some very intimidating people, it's all business oriented, and I lack experience speaking to like minded geeks.

I found a place in the city though that holds a hobby forum once a month, where they bring 3 people in to do 10-15 minute presentations on whatever they geek out about, so I signed up. Should be a good way to ease into it with a short version.

Free pass is no motivation since I attend w/ media badge as it is. My motivations are that I think it actually sounds like fun, have a desire to share knowledge with people, and also see it as a way to help promote my website by getting our name out there.
  • Free pass is no motivation since I attend w/ media badge as it is. My motivations are that I think it actually sounds like fun, have a desire to share knowledge with people, and also see it as a way to help promote my website by getting our name out there.
    I figured nobody who was on this forum was lame enough to do a panel just for a free badge. That's just kinda my normal end-of-how-to-do-a-panel rant.
  • I found a place in the city though that holds a hobby forum once a month, where they bring 3 people in to do 10-15 minute presentations on whatever they geek out about, so I signed up. Should be a good way to ease into it with a short version.
    Link me to this hobby forum.
  • Are you going to run a similar panel next year? If so, we should be in cahoots and plan something cool. ^_^
    I will as long as my summer job allows it. We will have to see; I may not be able to come Friday, but can probably do at least Sat/Sun.
  • http://www.getharvest.com/hobby

Was speaking from memory before. Link says 5 min presentation followed by 5 min of questions. They have a Vimeo channel where they put up recordings, and they do run up to 15 min prior to questions. http://vimeo.com/channels/hobby

I found out about these guys during Internet Week NY where I met some of their employees. Harvest is a software company that makes billing and time tracking software for small companies and startups. I'll probably be hitting up their August 3rd presentation.
  • Fail...that is all.
    Was it shoddy and thrown together rather quickly? Yeah. But I was entertained by it, I thought it was rather interesting and I know nothing about cars.
  • Was it shoddy and thrown together rather quickly? Yeah. But I was entertained by it, I thought it was rather interesting and I know nothing about cars.
    If I'm allowed to do another panel, it'll be much better next year.
  • Fail...that is all.
    Was it shoddy and thrown together rather quickly? Yeah. But I was entertained by it, I thought it was rather interesting and I know nothing about cars.
    Actually, it wasn't that fail. It could have used improvement, but I think we gave some pretty constructive feedback on ways to make it more awesomer. My eyes only glazed during the first part where George introduced ALL THE CARS without much context. The rest of it was actually really interesting and not too hard to follow even for someone who knows very little about cars (me).
  • All I would do is show a few clips from Initial D to start, and ask the audience "is this realistic? Could this happen?" Then segue into some rally videos showing similar craziness. Then, talk about the reality of the Initial D moves. That's a solid 20 minutes of the panel.
  • I would like to point out that while everyone has given me awesome feedback...they all have a different idea of what I should actually do. :P
  • I would like to point out that while everyone has given me awesome feedback...they all have a different idea of what I shouldactuallydo. :P
    Rym's idea is a sound one: comparing clips side-by-side. You can still talk about actual car mechanics, too. Talk about why that thing is possible, in very basic terms. Don't over-science like I did with the Beer panel, but explain a bit of car physics.
  • edited July 2010
    You could always do a comparison of Initial D clips with Top Gear clips.

EDIT: What if you did a panel on realistic anime about instead of doing just Initial D? This opens up your options to fill the hour. You could focus on different genres. Historical anime: start with those old anime style news clips and go to Barefoot Gen. Samuri Anime: Kenshi, Blade of the Imortal. High School Anime: GTO, Azamanga Daio. (That anime about an anime club) Political Anime, and Sports Anime racing and otherwise.

Sorry @ work & don't have time to spell check.
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • You could always do a comparison of Initial D clips with Top Gear clips.
    That's probably a better example then rally stuff, since they are for the most part stock cars.
  • Also, it might be helpful to use clips from Tokyo Drift and The initial D live action movie - pretty much all of the driving in those was actually done in real life, rather than being special effects, and the initial D movie in particular tries to replicate moves from the anime/manga.