This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights General Gathering

RymRym
edited August 2010 in GeekNights
Supposing that, at some point, we were in fact to host our own convention, where would you most prefer it to be?

(No promises, no shit talking. This isn't even on my list to begin considering to discuss until after PAX and NYAF/NYCC). ;^)

Comments

• I think we could all fit in your mom's house if she wasn't there for the duration of the event.
  • I think we could all fit in your mom...
  • Wait, technically your mom's house is my house....
  • False dichotomy.
  • On a more serious note, I notice the distinct lack of a certain west coast city. I know that us west coast forumites are in the minority, but still, ouch.
  • On a more serious note, I notice the distinct lack of a certain west coast city. I know that us west coast forumites are in the minority, but still, ouch.
    That all depends on which mom is your mom.
    In all seriousness, we will never be able to run a convention outside of the greater New York metropolitan area in the foreseeable future. At best, we could syndicate, but I do not have the funds to manage something too far from home.
    In all seriousness, we will never be able to run a convention outside of the greater New York metropolitan area in the foreseeable future. At best, we could syndicate, but I do not have the funds to manage something too far from home.
    Oh, yeah, I know that. But I was just bringing it up for the sake of bringing it up.

Honestly, If there were, someday, a Geeknights convention, I would have no qualms about flying to New York.
  • Nerdtacular (extra life's "convention")
    SLC FAIL
  • Nerdtacular (extra life's "convention")
    SLC FAIL
    Having been to Salt Lake City once, I'd say that Utah is a pretty beautiful part of the country. Sure the mormons are crazy, and I did get kicked in the side of the knee by a bum in a leopard print jacket that looked like Gary Busey running down the street while I was crossing an intersection, but I thought it was a nice city.

If anyone is ever there, I recommend a hike on Antellope Island
  • edited August 2010
    False dichotomy.
    You expected what, exactly?
    Honestly, If there were, someday, a Geeknights convention, I would have no qualms about flying to New York.
    Road trip 2: Road Warrior.
    Sure the mormons are crazy, and I did get kicked in the side of the knee by a bum in a leopard print jacket that looked like Gary Busey running down the street while I was crossing an intersection, but I thought it was a nice city.
    Nah, That was just Gary Busey.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2010
    Is it "your mom" or "my mom"?

Also, Boston. I know it's not going to happen, but Boston.

Spoiler: Everyone's just going to suggest the nearest major city to their house. Just have it wherever's easiest for you (New York, I'm assuming).
    Post edited by Neito on
  • 'Nother pointless vote for Seattle, here.

Or maybe at least some extracurricular activities roundabout PAX time.
  • 'Nother pointless vote for Seattle, here.
    Or maybe at least some extracurricular activities roundabout PAX time.
    This. I know it has been mentioned before, but I think the easiest and most convenient way to do a Geek Nights thing is around a convention that most people are going to attend like PAX or CTCon.
  • Honestly, If there were, someday, a Geeknights convention, I would have no qualms about flying to New York.
    Road trip 2: Road Warrior.
    I like the cut of your jib.
  • Spoiler:
    Geeknights- Antarctica.
  • CHICAGO SUPERIOR. NYC INFERIOR.

*braces for fallout*
  • CHICAGO SUPERIOR. NYC INFERIOR.

*braces for fallout*
    Ever been there?
  • edited August 2010
    NYC, I was too little to remember.
    Chicago is just generally the shit. The business. The bees knees. Tits. Fucking parliament.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • If we want to argue about cities, well... I don't think I can add anything to what Slog, the blog of Seattle's weekly paper The Stranger, spent last Friday doing.

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/...
  • I'm sorry, your argument includes the word "Seattle" and is therefore void.
  • My city is basically a hub so NYC is fine for me.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2010
    In keeping with the title of this thread, how about we have a dinner in NYC composed of forumites and any FRC types who wish to join in the obvious bacchanalia that will most likely result from this gathering?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Before we do the convention, how about we have a dinner in NYC composed of forumites and any FRC types who wish to join in the obvious bacchanalia that will most likely result from this gathering?
    Hmmm...

That's actually not a bad idea. A private party in Manhattan somewhere. We'd have to sell "tickets" to cover the cost, but it wouldn't be that expensive. I will seriously look into this.
  • Before we do the convention, how about we have a dinner in NYC composed of forumites and any FRC types who wish to join in the obvious bacchanalia that will most likely result from this gathering?
    Hmmm...

That's actually not a bad idea. A private party in Manhattan somewhere. We'd have to sell "tickets" to cover the cost, but it wouldn't be that expensive. I will seriously look into this.
    Would it be in a lounge setting (like at the Drom when we went to see Uncle Yo) or in an actual restaurant like the Capital Grille?
  • I am down for anything NYC-area related.

Of course, if this thing comes to be a reality in the future and hands are needed, I would be more than happy to pitch in. I have past employment experience as a conference & event planner for Princeton University, which it does not translate 100% to planning out the logistics of a city event, should at least prove I am not bumbling and incompetent.
  • Would it be in a lounge setting (like at the Drom when we went to see Uncle Yo) or in an actual restaurant like the Capital Grille?
    Karaoke Bar
  • Would it be in a lounge setting (like at the Drom when we went to see Uncle Yo) or in an actual restaurant like the Capital Grille?
    Karaoke Bar
    St. Marks Place it is then.
  • You guys should set up laptops to the PA system so the rest of us can join in via Skype :p