This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone/other smart phone questions

Comments

• The Moto X Developer Edition is on special for $325 since they're rolling on a new model soon. I placed at order for one.

Why not get that new model instead?
  • Apreche said:

The Moto X Developer Edition is on special for $325 since they're rolling on a new model soon. I placed at order for one.

Why not get that new model instead?
    Cause it's not out yet and this is cheaper. Also the new model is going to have a bigger 5.1" screen, so the phone is getting larger.
  • This isn't the question that was asked but it's sorta tangentially related. I find the default Android keyboard (and the samsung keyboard) pretty useless. I use Thumb Keyboard 4. Worth every cent of the $4 I paid. I particularly like the split keyboard layout that puts the left alpha keys staggered above the right ones so that my longer thumbs don't touch in the middle when I'm typing.
  • muppet said:

This isn't the question that was asked but it's sorta tangentially related. I find the default Android keyboard (and the samsung keyboard) pretty useless. I use Thumb Keyboard 4. Worth every cent of the $4 I paid. I particularly like the split keyboard layout that puts the left alpha keys staggered above the right ones so that my longer thumbs don't touch in the middle when I'm typing.

Yeah I didn't really like the Samsung keyboard when I've used it on other people's phones. The default HTC one learns incredibly quickly and was surprising for a non stock keyboard.

I then found Swiftkey and haven't looked back since.

• I go for as stock as I can get: Google Now Launcher, Google Keyboard, hell, I'd flash the Nexus dialpad if I didn't have such bad luck with that kinda stuff.
  • I can see so much potential for abuse with this new app. (And probably lawsuits.)
  • Daikun said:

I can see so much potential for abuse with this new app. (And probably lawsuits.)

I see cryptoware malware writers looking at it and trying to figure out a way to trick people into installing a version of it on their phones.

• Daikun said:

I can see so much potential for abuse with this new app. (And probably lawsuits.)

Well, I guess that gives more reason for kids to want an iPhone (I can't see Apple approving an app that does that in their app store).
  • Also, the hack involves installing a sketchy malware app that probably would never get by the curators of official app stores like Google Play.

If you're dumb enough to install a sketchy app on your device, no matter the device, you are already pwned.
  • I generally don't like Apple, but this is cool if it's true.
    slashdot.org/story/207389
  • Despite that, their warrant canary also went down recently.
  • edited September 2014
    Churba said:

Despite that, their warrant canary also went down recently.

?
    Nevermind. https://gigaom.com/2014/09/18/apples-warrant-canary-disappears-suggesting-new-patriot-act-demands/
    Post edited by 2bfree on
  • So how many clueless Apple buyers will lock themselves out of their own phones?
  • HMTKSteve said:

So how many clueless Apple buyers will lock themselves out of their own phones?

How many people already lock themselves out of their phones, cars, or even homes?
  • Apreche said:

HMTKSteve said:

How many people already lock themselves out of their phones, cars, or even homes?
    Previous to the new security changes Apple had the ability to unlock the device. Now if you lock it and forget the password it stays locked forever.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Apreche said:

HMTKSteve said:

Previous to the new security changes Apple had the ability to unlock the device. Now if you lock it and forget the password it stays locked forever.
    I don't think Apple was unlocking people's phones who forgot their passwords even though they had the ability to do so. What did people do who forgot the passwords to their Macs, PCs, or non-iOS smartphones?
  • I don't know, do these people just reinstall their OS?
    It's never happened to people I know.
  • If the phone gets locked and you froget the password, youre basically screwed, in my experience. Happened to me a couple years back, so I trudged over the local Apple store only to find it filled with high school bullies who literally berated and assaulted me, calling me all sorts of messed up toilet-humor style names and doing gut punches and wet willies on me for hours. It was one of the worst experiences of my whole life. Take it from me, if your forget your passcode, just throw the phone right into the trash can or down the garbage disposal, because there's absolutely nothing that can be done, and in fact, you will get brutally teased if you even so much as try to fix it.
  • Are you telling me Biff Tannen works at the Apple store?
  • I agree, if this happens to you just throw the smartphone away, you're not ready for technology yet.
  • What's everyone got these days? My old Nexus S is slowing to a crawl. Now that the new iPhone is out I'm looking at getting the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact...
  • I've been mainly using a Samsung Galaxy S4 for the past year and I like it.

I've been thinking of switching to one of the Moto phones, though. Has anyone else tried them?
  • okeefe said:

The plan is to run out the AT&T contract on my iPhone 5, unlock it, and switch to T-Mobile. I think I will stick with the 5 another year—I like the size, it's still got great battery life, and I'm not anywhere near its storage capacity. I'm not sold on the rumored iPhone 6's not-so-wee and huge sizes.

Done! Well, done-ish. I never ported a number across a carrier before. Incoming calls don't work just yet, but outgoing calls and incoming texts work. I'll give TMo a call tomorrow if it's still acting oddly.
  • I switched my number from Verizon to Sprint on my lastly contract through Best Buy and it went perfectly. I have an S4, it runs well enough. I'm curious about an HTC but we'll see when the time comes next year
  • Placed my order for the Xperia Z3 Compact after finding a price I liked. : )
  • edited September 2014
    iPhone 6 is easily breakable.

Do you wear skinny jeans? Well, bad news...
    Post edited by Daikun on