This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone/other smart phone questions

Comments

• That's the iPhone 6 plus that is bending, not the iPhone 6.
  • Daikun said:

iPhone 6 is easily breakable.

Do you wear skinny jeans? Well, bad news...

If you wear skinny jeans, you aren't putting anything in your pockets bigger than chapstick. Unless you are stupid. Can't help you there.
  • Here's an idea, put a case on it that is plastic and won't bend. Boom.
  • I heard one podcaster say "iphone 6 is default. You want the 6 Plus? That's going to take a lifestyle change." Seems like this is more than just it sticking too far out of a pocket!
  • Matatat, there aren't many cases out at the moment. That's one reason I'd never buy new tech so soon after release, and certainly not without trying it in person. I checked out this 6 plus in a store the other day and it's just crazily big. I know I'd have to always use it two handed, and only ever use a coat or jacket pocket, not trousers. A case solid enough to stop it bending would make it way thicker in addition to it also being huge... Might as well admit right away its not for front or back pockets from the start.
  • I got the shipping notification last night for the brand new Xperia Compact.

I've never had a new latest tech before so I'm also dubious like Luke. I did try out a demo at a promo stand and dunked it in the water etc. so it's not exactly a blind decision.

The thing I am more concerned with is the longevity. I'd got 3 years out of the Nexus S (and that was last year's tech when I got it) and it still works... So I'd like maybe 3.5 to 4 years from this one.
  • MATATAT said:

Here's an idea, put a case on it that is plastic and won't bend. Boom.

Naked phones only. I've had naked phone since the iPhone 3G. The only problem I ever had was when I fell off my bike with the iPhone 5. The top glass at the back is shattered, but the phone still works perfectly and the main screen is still perfect.

If the phone was supposed to have a case, forget all that nice fancy metal and glass and just get an ugly plastic phone to begin with. Might as well cover your antique table with a dollar store tablecloth. While you're at it, wear a hazmat suit 24/7.
  • I am intrigued by the Moto X Pure Edition. I definitely need a new phone, less than a year after upgrading to the Nexus 5.

Nexus 5 has been a major disappointment for me, after really liking the Nexus 4. There are so many things I love about both of these phones, but the 5 has given me issues in two major areas: worst battery performance of any smartphone I've owned (several iPhones going back to OG, Nexus 4, and a Lumia 920), and the GPS is the least accurate I've ever had. If I keep it down at waist level in cars, the GPS straight up doesn't work. Nobody else's phones do this.

I'm at the point where I suspect I may just have a busted Nexus 5. Battery and GPS can't be that appallingly bad for everyone, can they? I've never had an issue with my phones before, so fuck this phone.

Oh, and yeah, naked phone is the way to go. I used to have a combined phone case + credit card storage on the iPhone, which let me use just a money clip rather than a wallet, but when I switched over to Lumia/Nexus I ditched cases. Love it. The only time I would consider a case now is if it came with some extra battery, but those are all way too fucking big, and this is likely just a symptom of my Nexus 5 desperation.
  • I much prefer naked phones, but my iPhone 4s is way too slippy and symmetrical.
  • Apreche said:

MATATAT said:

Naked phones only. I've had naked phone since the iPhone 3G. The only problem I ever had was when I fell off my bike with the iPhone 5. The top glass at the back is shattered, but the phone still works perfectly and the main screen is still perfect.

If the phone was supposed to have a case, forget all that nice fancy metal and glass and just get an ugly plastic phone to begin with. Might as well cover your antique table with a dollar store tablecloth. While you're at it, wear a hazmat suit 24/7.
    I used to be with Scott on the whole 100% naked phone 100% of the time thing, until I started doing sound work, and saw no less than four different people smash their phones to shit just doing their job. Now, I have an ugly as shit but super tough case that I put on when I'm doing sound/crew work, and it's naked phone the rest of the time.

• I get the phone for the function, not the looks. I also have a tendency to drop my phone on occasion. I choose my cases specifically based on these usage parameters. I have NEVER, EVER cracked or broken a cell phone. I have never had to replace one, only upgrade because the technology became obsolete. Cases FTW.
  • I also occasionally drop my naked phone. Not in 6 years has one broken at all due to dropping. The only time was due to an actual falling off bike accident, and even then the screen is still perfect. The case is absolutely unnecessary. To actually break a naked iPhone you have to be so far beyond a clumsy oaf. If you are, then you should not get a case, but instead you should stop texting with one hand while operating heavy machinery.
  • If I kept my phone in a purse, you can be damn sure I'd have one of those wallet-style cases that covered the screen. Tossing it in there all jingly-jangly with keys is a recipe for disaster.

It's silly to rule out the numerous situations where a case does make sense just to prove a point. I don't need a case, but I'd admit that some people do.
  • I didn't think the iPhone could fit in skinny jeans to begin with!
  • edited September 2014
    Apreche said:

MATATAT said:

IF BABIES WEREN'T MEANT TO FALL OFF BUILDINGS THEY'D BE ABLE TO FLY.

It's called taking precautions. You're completely free to take that risk but I've literally never broken a phone in any capacity so I'm already up by one on you. I've also seen enough naked iPhones with cracked bits that I don't really want to take the chance.
    Nuri said:

I get the phone for the function, not the looks. I also have a tendency to drop my phone on occasion. I choose my cases specifically based on these usage parameters. I have NEVER, EVER cracked or broken a cell phone. I have never had to replace one, only upgrade because the technology became obsolete. Cases FTW.

*high five*

I am VERY careful with my phone and could count the amount of times I've dropped a smartphone on one hand. So I probably don't need a case. But I just like having one.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited September 2014
    Checking in here that I've never broken a phone, use cases. The Spigen case on my Note 3 makes it look pretty sharp. It's a two part silicone/hard frame case and I lurve it. The Note 3 without a case has this funky alligator texture for some reason and a ribbed chrome frame, like some sort of mutant wallet.

No screen protector, though, because I don't like the prismatic effect that they all have.

Like a week after I gave my daughter my Note 1, she shattered it into a thousand pieces. Well, the front glass anyway. Sigh. She was using it without the case.

I can't remember the last time I ever dropped a phone. I'm just too paranoid about them and super careful.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Also I really can't stand the protruding camera.
  • I had my S4 fall out of my pocket as I was getting out of a car and it landed just right to crack the screen. Stuff happens.
  • I had my S4 fall out of my pocket as I was getting out of a car and it landed just right to crack the screen. Stuff happens.

My phone has never just fallen out of my pocket on its own. How does that even happen? Did you exit your car via cartwheel?
  • Apreche said:

I had my S4 fall out of my pocket as I was getting out of a car and it landed just right to crack the screen. Stuff happens.

My phone has never just fallen out of my pocket on its own. How does that even happen? Did you exit your car via cartwheel?
    Different people's pants fit differently. Not everyone is a bag of elbows.

• Apreche said:

My phone has never just fallen out of my pocket on its own. How does that even happen?

I've had the interior pocket fail and drop the phone out the leg of my shorts. I admit that's not a common occurrence.

Naked iPhone 100%.

The friend I gave my iPhone 4 to bought a case for it, but they're klutzier than I am.
  • Nuri said:

Apreche said:

I had my S4 fall out of my pocket as I was getting out of a car and it landed just right to crack the screen. Stuff happens.

Different people's pants fit differently. Not everyone is a bag of elbows.

Buy different pants.
  • Am I the only one who likes phones that don't feel like a potato chip? Half the reason I get a case is to bulk the thing out so my hand doesn't cramp up trying to hold it.
  • Nuri said:

Am I the only one who likes phones that don't feel like a potato chip? Half the reason I get a case is to bulk the thing out so my hand doesn't cramp up trying to hold it.

I like some heft and density to my phones. I've never had a case for my phone until the iPhone 6. It's just TOO thin for my liking. Plus, unlike I'd think anyone else on these here forums, I actually DO work around heavy machinery. One misstep on my or someone elses part, one odd bounce by a package filled with a 70 lb kettlebell... Yeah, I'm gonna take a case for my 6, thank you very much.

• Now we're getting some bend tests on the major phone and tablet brands. iPhone 6 Plus fails miserably. You don't even need pockets to break it; you can do it with just your fingers.

• In regards to cases, I haven't really used cases at all with my phones. I bought my first case for the HTC One for when I go to University because I knew people would want to hold it and play around with it when it first came out (as I got it before the Australian release). I don't trust others to be as coordinated as I'd like.

Otherwise at home and when not going to University it stays naked. I can see the work scenario.

I have dropped it from about a metre height accidentally onto a tile floor but it just had a scuff on the metal which is barely visible.

Daikun said:

Now we're getting some bend tests on the major phone and tablet brands. iPhone 6 Plus fails miserably. You don't even need pockets to break it; you can do it with just your fingers.

The new Cupertino feature of iBend is just getting a bad wrap. This guy is just anti Apple. You can see they were making how they make their curved screens compete with with the Note 4's curved screen except that it will customised to each personal user.

You can clearly also see that all the other phones tested. He even shows how the HTC stole the antenna design from the iPhone 6 for their last 3 phones.

What is up with these Android users drinking too much Hatorade.
  • Inferiority/Superiority complexes. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but people can have issues when they think or are perceived as not picking the better product in these wars of tech products.

I dropped my phone and got some dents, but I use a thin case for my custom cross-stitch patterns. When I do drop it, it protects from scratches.

Also, people like custom cases for expression.

Some people, like parents, use those thick cases because their kids play with the phone.

I'm still torn on if I should give up my grandfathered unlimited data plan with Verizon to get the 6 at a subsidized price.
  • "Look, all you need to do is get an Android phone from HTC for build quality. Then get an Android phone from Sony because their cameras are so good. Then get a Galaxy Note from Samsung for the largest screen. Then get a Nexus from Google to get a decent software experience. Finally, get a phone from Hauwei because they’re cheap. Then mash them all together and you’ve got one phone that’s better than the iPhone!

That’ll work, right? Well, unless you mash them all together and get the worst of each one. Just mash carefully."
  • okeefe said:
    From what that article says, the 6 is incredibly bendy.

iPhone 6 deformation force: 70 pounds
    iPhone 5 deformation force: 130 pounds