This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Super Meat Boy

Comments

• I thought that it was a bandage that was bobbing up and down behind the tree, but I was wrong.

Still, that would have been a great bandage location.
  • Still, that would have been a great bandage location.
    Editor's coming. Insane shit will be made.
  • Still, that would have been a great bandage location.
    Editor's coming. Insane shit will be made.
    But will the editor allow just map editing, or also new rules? Can I make new objects for the environment, or edit existing objects? e.g: moving bandages.
  • My boyfriend started playing and I am amused at hearing him scream and yell out many expletives.
  • My boyfriend started playing and I am amused at hearing him scream and yell out many expletives.
    I just say fuck once per death. They get louder as the number of deaths increases. They get longer in proportion to how far into the level I was when I died.

Fuck.
  • I'm waiting on "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!"
    Between the both of us, we've yelled out many "FUCK"s, squeals, loud high pitched shrieks, and from dying at the last second before getting the level complete, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!".
    Between the both of us, we've yelled out many "FUCK"s, squeals, loud high pitched shrieks, and from dying at the last second before getting the level complete, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!".
  • Am I the only one that yells out "Donald Duck"?
  • Pretty much my entire experience in world "rapture" has been cursing.
  • This game has gotten me perilously close to doing the one thing I'm proud of never doing: throwing a controller in anger.
  • It's weird that people get angry over Super Meat Boy. I only get angry at games when they are unfair or broken. For example, in some levels of Super Mario Galaxy 2 I was getting angry because the game would register as me getting hit when Mario clearly did not touch anything dangerous. Super Meat Boy is hard, but it doesn't get me angry because everything is so fair. If anything, I get fatigued from repetition rather than angry.
  • While I assume you are refering to throwing the controller and not cursing because generally my "fuck" comments are generally out of "wow I was so close that time" or "I just died on a jump I made 50 times before perfectly". None of which are anger ;-p
  • It's not anger at the game, it's anger at yourself that is typically the cause for this sort of thing.

I still haven't bought myself a controller :(
  • edited December 2010
    I still haven't bought myself a controller :(
    I tried to get a wireless 360 controller to work on my pc, but I found out that you need the microsoft wireless adapter, which they don't make anymore, and no one carries the wired controllers anymore. That process of buying, and then immediately returning a controller caused much more anger than any level of SMB.
    Post edited by imptac on
  • Hell is literally impossible for me to beat on the keyboard. I'm ordering a wired controller from Amazon, see if it helps.
  • I finished hell today with a keyboard. I feel your pain. Specifically, the wrist pain.
  • edited December 2010
    It's weird that people get angry over Super Meat Boy. I only get angry at games when they are unfair or broken. For example, in some levels of Super Mario Galaxy 2 I was getting angry because the game would register as me getting hit when Mario clearly did not touch anything dangerous. Super Meat Boy is hard, but it doesn't get me angry because everything is so fair. If anything, I get fatigued from repetition rather than angry.
    I think that's what can be rage-inducing about it. When play any particular game so much to the point where it gets physically fatiguing, your performance hits a peak and then it slowly declines. So if you get too tired, there's a good chance you won't pass the level or zone. I think anyone can relate to that wall if you've played a rhythm game for just waaaaaaaaay too long. You know you probably won't win, but you just keep playing with the hopes to get the better score, completion, or getting 100%.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • I started using the trigger button instead of X. It will take some getting used to. I now understand the hand cramps. It aggravates my hands a bit to where my fingertips suffer a bit of swan neck deformity.
  • It's weird that people get angry over Super Meat Boy. I only get angry at games when they are unfair or broken. For example, in some levels of Super Mario Galaxy 2 I was getting angry because the game would register as me getting hit when Mario clearly did not touch anything dangerous. Super Meat Boy is hard, but it doesn't get me angry because everything is so fair. If anything, I get fatigued from repetition rather than angry.
    I'm actually going to agree big-time with Scott on this. I've gotten very pissed at a number of video games, but Meat Boy has not been one of them. I've died smiling more times than mad, simply because I was appreciating the awesomeness of whatever curveball was killing me at the time. Upon witnessing this, my wife concluded that something has snapped in my brain.
  • SMB is like the teacher everybody loves in high school. Said teacher is usually a hardass, harsh but fair, who calls you out on your bullshit.
  • edited December 2010
    I tried to get a wireless 360 controller to work on my pc, but I found out that you need the microsoft wireless adapter, which they don't make anymore, and no one carries the wired controllers anymore. That process of buying, and then immediately returning a controller caused much more anger than any level of SMB.
    I was at a Best Buy killing some and doing some research a month back. They had brand new wireless XBox 360 controllers "for Windows" which means they included the supposedly no-longer-made wireless adapter. I've already got one, but it is not hard for anyone who wants one to get one.

Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows - Black

I highly recommend it because more and more PC games are supporting the XBox 360 controller as the default. Also, just one wireless adapter can support 4 gamepads and 4 wireless headsets. Using wireless XBox 360 headset on the PC is the jam.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • This game has gotten me perilously close to doing the one thing I'm proud of never doing: throwing a controller in anger.
    You've never thrown a controller in anger? That's a right of fucking passage my friend. That's how we know you're a real gamer; you've suffered the tribulations of unfair, arbitrary bullshit.
    You've never thrown a controller in anger? That's a right of fucking passage my friend. That's how we know you're arealgamer; you've suffered the tribulations of unfair, arbitrary bullshit.
    I'm more of a twister than a thrower.
  • I'm more of a twister than a thrower.
    I was a squeezer.
  • I find in Super Meat Boy I take it out on Meat Boy, if we die near the end of the level, I just throw him off a cliff a few times or into the first saw... (or that could just be me).
  • I was a squeezer.
    That was Stage 1 for me. Stage 2 was bashing myself in the knees furiously whilst holding and squeezing the controller while growling at the screen. Stage 3, also known as "GODDAMN IT MICHELANGELO WHY CAN'T YOU MAKE THAT JUMP," involves throwing, stomping, and cursing.
  • "GODDAMN IT MICHELANGELO WHY CAN'T YOU MAKE THAT JUMP,
    Fuck that game.
  • "GODDAMN IT MICHELANGELO WHY CAN'T YOU MAKE THAT JUMP,
    Fuck that game.
    Also that one jump in Ninja Gaiden on the NES.
    "Ha ha! I have a ton of lives! Surely this little jump won't hinder m-MOTHERFUCKERx20"
  • My Super Meat Boy strategy is generally, proceed with reckless abandon.

The only level so far that has greatly angered me is the first level of the Kid's warpzone. I spent about an hour straight on it at one point.