This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Otakon 2011

12345679»

Comments

• edited August 2011
    for no reason.
    You might no realize this, but, like you, I'm not involved in any part of the production of anime or games. Just an FYI. You don't get in as guest either.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Ah, but it's possible you could become involved, and become a guest.
  • You might no realize this, but, like you, I'm not involved in any part of the production of anime or games. Just an FYI. You don't get in as guest either.
    You don't have to make anime or games. Uncle Yo is a guest because of his comedy, which he earned just by practicing, working hard, and not giving up. We have been guests and we just talk about anime and games. Most PAX guests are actually musical guests. Bill Amend is a guests as well. Anime cons often have lots of guests that do other things like making fashion, web-comics, or books.

We're under the assumption here that you have few monies. You also enjoy some geekery enough that you want to go to a convention related to that geekery. Yet, you haven't created anything that would make you worthy of going to that convention for free. You haven't built any skills or created any works that anyone recognizes. In more cruel terms, you're a nobody in that field. Your higher priority should be working hard to become a somebody.

You have a lot of free time, you can do it. Every time you are about to come here and pester somebody, go make something instead.
  • Ah, but it's possible you could become involved, and become a guest.
    The investment required for that will cost too much in resources that it's more feasible to just swim to the US coast.
    We have been guests and we just talk about anime and games.
    Panelists are not guests. Have you been guests to a con other than that RIT con?

Question, Apreche. Do you realize that you would likely not gotten anywhere significant in regards to convention going if you didn't have the luck of sitting in Rym's slipstream? Or do you not?
  • Panelists are not guests. Have you been guests to a con other than that RIT con?
    We've been guest a few times, but yeah not at the big cons. Regardless of our label, nobody gives us transportation and hotel room. Anime Boston does give us $200 each. Not too shabby.
  • swim to the US coast.
    See? Another possibility.
  • Question, Apreche. Do you realize that you would likely not gotten anywhere significant in regards to convention going if you didn't have the luck of sitting in Rym's slipstream? Or do you not?
    I wouldn't even say that's true. I'd scammed my way into conventions as staff/guest/speaker/panelist long before GeekNights, and it's an easy thing to do. ^_~

More to the point, Scott runs some fine lectures all on his own. All I provide is the legwork in terms of getting us "gigs." There's a reason I call myself the Producer of GeekNights.

For all the work I do on getting us situated at conventions, Scott does equal work getting our tech straight and stepping up our game on that front. The show itself is equal as well (though I do all of the audio/video engineering in post).
    Panelists are not guests. Have you been guests to a con other than that RIT con?
    Yes. NYAF a couple times early on, SITA-Con, Katsucon, Ubercon, and some others. We don't make a big deal of whether or not we're a guest/staffer/panelist/speaker/whatever, but every con does different things.
  • I don't think people understand how easy it can be to be a panelist....
    It's true. But then again, some people suck so much that even that easy thing is very difficult for them.

In the end, we aren't doing what we are doing because of nepotism, cheating, corruption, or luck. We're not sons of CEOs or celebrities. Remember when Rym had his car repossessed? Mike & Jerry were working retail crap jobs living like bums when they made Penny Arcade. They didn't even have the fancy tech jobs we have and such. Remember when Jerry worked all day to pay for Mike to sit home and draw? We started out a lot better off than they did, with our expensive RIT education, but who's ahead now? Not us!

Everyone has different amounts of moneys and different life situations. This often causes resentment, jealousy, and drama of various sorts. For example, you might want to eat a fancy restaurant, but your friends can't afford it. Or perhaps you want your friends to go to a convention, but they can't afford it. Or perhaps you suggest that someone go to a convention and they get mad because they think you are all flashing moneys around.

Some people in the world have a right to that kind of complaint, like the people suffering a famine in Africa right now. Everyone here has no right to complain. You all have Internets and computers. You all, presumably, have mobile telephones and portable audio playing devices. Relatively speaking, we are all kings. Even if you only have a cheapo netbook, that's still pretty damn powerful.

You all have the ability, if you work hard and stick to it for multiple years, to create something and make something of yourself. If you want to go to a convention for free, or cheap, there are many many ways to do so. Being a guest is one such way. Selling things at an artist alley table or booth to turn a profit is another way. Doing some creative online fundraiser beforehand is another way. Staffing the convention is another way, whether you work for the convention itself or for an exhibitor. People backpack all across Europe without expensive planes or hotels. Couchsurfing, car pooling, there is always a way to go if you want it badly enough. You have the power of the Internets, you can do it. Just look at the other thread where people list what they did for a convention.

So really I have no sympathy for any complaints people have. If you wanted to go to something, and you didn't go, it's only your own fault. That is, of course, unless you live in Somalia. Then I'm sorry.
    I was an unplanned panelist at this past Otakon. People wanted my autograph.
  • I wouldn't even say that's true. I'd scammed my way into conventions as staff/guest/speaker/panelist long before GeekNights, and it's an easy thing to do. ^_~

More to the point, Scott runs some fine lectures all on his own. All I provide is the legwork in terms of getting us "gigs." There's a reason I call myself the Producer of GeekNights.

For all the work I do on getting us situated at conventions, Scott does equal work getting our tech straight and stepping up our game on that front. The show itself is equal as well (though I do all of the audio/video engineering in post).
    Yes, together you get shit done, alone however you are the most likely to have gotten farther by now, not Apreche.
    I don't think people understand how easy it can be to be a panelist....
    And I don't think Apreche understands the retarded shit he's saying from, what's comparatively, the west side of the Berlin wall. He didn't walk and couch-surf to PAX when it just started, now did he?
    but who's ahead now?
    The guys who have been building and monetizing their brand the longest. Not you.
    Or perhaps you suggest that someone go to a convention and they get mad because they think you are all flashing moneys around you're being a cunt to a college kid working himself through college AND going to cons, just less than you presently.
    You're telling people to do shit you never did yourself, spitting out ridiculous crap to go to more cons. You didn't go to every con when you were in college. The same reasons for that still apply to people going to college now, or high school, or have other factors limiting opportunity. Have you gone to that German boardgames convention yet? Didn't you want to go there badly? Oh, what were your reasons at the time again for not going...
    [T]he people suffering a famine in Africa right now.
    Right now? I hope with that you mean "for years now". Right now they just have even less, making the famine worse.
  • Oh, what were your reasons at the time again for not going...
    Vacation days. You're European, you have a shitton of vacation days, so that excuse doesn't work.
  • You're European, you have a shitton of vacation days, so that excuse doesn't work.
    I'm not the one making that excuse. You are. You did. And
    If you wanted to go to something, and you didn't go, it's only your own fault.
    I mean,
    Just look at the other thread where people list what they did for a convention
    , like quitting their job to go to a con.
  • I mean,
    Just look at the other thread where people list what they did for a convention
    , like quitting their job to go to a con.
    Clearly they wanted it more than you.