This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX Prime 2011

Comments

• Prepare to be disappointed.
    Oh, I plan on it. We actually own a copy. Jeremy plays it occasionally with his friends.

I never got into it because my circle of friends never wanted to play it and have played it before. They called it the "Play the Wizard and Win" game. From what I've seen/heard it looks like a silly game with no real strategy and pure randomness especially with all the errata and rules that have been added over the years.
  • I probably should learn to play Munchkin sometime
    Get a Munchkin deck and place it in front of you. Now hit your hand with a hammer and then scatter the cards around randomly. Read a few of the cards, and then flip a coin to see who won. Mostly the same experience, though Munchkin might hurt more than the hammer.

It's a great "game" from many angles, much like patty-cake or We Didn't Playtest This Game, but it isn't actually a game by either useful definition (competitive test of skill or series of interesting/meaningful decisions). You make no actual decisions, and the game is entirely random. It's popular, and Steve Jackson is a genius, but save yourself the trouble and try the hammer instead.
  • edited May 2011
    You can learn Munchkin in about two minutes just reading the rules online, because there's not much game there. The end-game is where it really lets down. Everyone grows this hand full of screw-over cards as one or two people approach the point of victory (level 10 status). Nobody wants to take the stab at achieving level 10 because of the million weapons pointed at them, hidden in their opponent's hands. Whoever takes the second or third stab at victory will actually achieve it, but this is only after a long and tedious standoff.

If you are looking to play Munchkin, the only fun you will have is from the humor on the cards. There are some pretty good puns in there. The best set I have seen is Super Munchkin, because everyone gets a Batman joke. Not eveyone is going to get a D&D joke unless you've got all geeky friends.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Yeah, I've seen the cards and actually have read the rules when I was running the tournaments at PAX East. I would just like to know how the game runs so I don't look like a total noob if I run another tourney.

I also need to play Robo Rally as well. That looks like fun.
  • You can learn Munchkin in about two minutes just reading the rules online, because there's not much game there. The end-game is where it really lets down. Everyone grows this hand full of screw-over cards as one or two people approach the point of victory (level 10 status). Nobody wants to take the stab at achieving level 10 because of the million weapons pointed at them, hidden in their opponent's hands. Whoever takes the second or third stab at victory will actually achieve it, but this is only after a long and tedious standoff.
    For Munchkin to be a workable game you have to externally reward taking a stab at level 10. E.g. first one to try gets a drink from everybody else playing, later attempts get out of having to buy a drink, winner of game gets to choose the kind of one of the drinks.

Still not a good game, but much more enjoyable.
  • I also need to play Robo Rally as well. That looks like fun.
    This! One caveat: never play with less than six players per one Robo Rally square.
  • edited May 2011
    I also need to play Robo Rally as well. That looks like fun.
    My favorite big-group game, hands down. Perfect blend of luck and skill. Game moves fast so pacing is a big plus as well. Works great as a socializing game b/c the robot movement always ends in hilarity.

You can play a 99% similar version for free at eyeplaygames.com. You can check out their practice stages, jump in a public game, or set one up with some other people. My name on there is Gundabad if you want to create one. I tried to get a forum game going but it died (I play all the time with the NerdNYC group).
    Post edited by Matt on
  • This. My coworkers love the shit out of Munchkin and they refuse to see the light. I've converted a few to Euros sloooooowly but the vast majority still play this trash. >_
  • Man you guys talking about the END of Munchkin breaking down? I've never gotten past THE BEGINNING. We just piled up a ton of monsters we couldn't beat and the game went absolutely nowhere.
  • Y'know, it's funny, because I just played Munchkin very recently and hated every millisecond of it. It was a nice way to be social with some friends of ours, but I think Apples to Apples would have been more rewarding.

I remember a time when I enjoyed Munchkin.
  • I remember a time when I enjoyed Munchkin.
    I once enjoyed He-Man. Long ago.

It's a difficult thing to have endured, but a man must... remember.
  • This. My coworkers love the shit out of Munchkin and they refuse to see the light. I've converted a few to Euros sloooooowly but the vast majority still play this trash. >_<</p>
    Maybe you can get them to play Revolution. It's a great step over to games with some strategy, and you can point at the logo and say "Hey, Steve Jackson Games makes this. You guys loved Munchkin, right?!?!?"
  • edited May 2011
    Glad I bought mine last week. @Official_PAX That's all folks, we are entirely out of 3 day passes for PAX Prime 2011.
    Post edited by Alex Leavitt on
  • Munchkin? Fuck Munchkin.
  • Aww, fuck. Rym warned me. Dammit!
  • edited May 2011
    Always buy tickets and hotel rooms to a convention IMMEDIATELY. The very second they go on sale. We're not fucking kidding people. How many times do we have to say for people to learn their lesson?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I am still not sure whether I could go anyway. Secret good news happened today at work which may mean September is waaaay busy.
  • I am still not sure whether I could go anyway. Secret good news happened today at work which may mean September is waaaay busy.
    No Emi at PAX Prime!

• I agree with Ro. :-( Require moar Emily @PAX.
  • Okay, guys, I may look into getting some one days. Also, shenanigans.
  • MOAR SHENANIGANS! =D
  • The nice thing about PAX Prime is that for the most part, you only need badges to get into the exhibition hall and main events. You can easily get into the tabletop stuff and panels without one.
  • Don't say that! That means I'm not doing part of my duties as an Enforcer! >__>

I've only noticed a few badges missing here and there and commented upon it to the person. Other than that, I really don't notice at all so it's very possible to get into there without badges.
  • Still probably not going, but only now one of my friends had a breakup and suddenly REALLY wants to go to PAX. And I'm stuck in the position of, "Well I wasn't planning on going because nobody wanted to go, and it's going to be really difficult to plan out this trip NOW!"

Sucks. I know that the only rational way to do this now would be to just plunk down the money on the single passes IMMEDIATELY, but I don't really even feel that motivated at the moment for it. For me, I had already burned in my mind that I'd wait a year before my third PAX...
  • Also, shenanigans.
    What kind of shenanigans? Cheeky and fun shenanigans or cruel, pointless shenanigans? Which aren't really shenanigans, I suppose.
  • Cheeky and fun shenanigans
    Of course the later.
  • One of the panels at PAX Prime is going to be a screening of Lorien Green's board gaming documentary Going Cardboard. I backed the movie on Kickstarter and am looking forward to watching it when the DVD arrives.
  • One of the panels at PAX Prime is going to be a screening of Lorien Green's board gaming documentary Going Cardboard. I backed the movie on Kickstarter and am looking forward to watching it when the DVD arrives.
    There will be a Q&A; session, and she's asked us to be there for it to answer questions and mug.

I'm looking forward to that documentary in a big way. ^_^
    There will be a Q&A; session, and she's asked us to be there for it to answer questions and mug.

Yeah I was surprised to see you guys in the trailer after having already backed it. Was an "internet is a small world after all" moment.

Yeah I was surprised to see you guys in the trailer after having already backed it. Was an "internet is a small world after all" moment.
    What trailer did you see that has us in it? We're not in the video on Kickstarter.