This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

HungryJoe talks about those Damn Kids in his virtual yard.

Comments

• Can militant, gnostic atheism whose practitioners actively proselytize and evangelize be considered a religion? Does it at least share some similarities with religion?
  • Can militant, gnostic atheism whose practitioners actively proselytize and evangelize be considered a religion? Does it at least share some similarities with religion?
    only in the way anarchism could be considered a system of government.
  • Is it possible then for science to become the next 'religion'?
    I've heard this before... in fiction. Specifically Warhammer 40k.
  • edited May 2011
    Can militant, gnostic atheism whose practitioners actively proselytize and evangelize be considered a religion? Does it at least share some similarities with religion?
    only in the way anarchism could be considered a system of government.
    Why is that? It seems to me that people who militantly believe that there is no God and who actively try to convince people they are right and to join them sounds pretty much like a lot of other religions.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Why is that?
    I assume the point is that Anarchism is no government and Atheism is no religion.
  • Why is that? It seems to me that people who militantly believe that there is no God and who actively try to convince people they are right and to join them sounds pretty much like a lot of other religions.
    The absence of a thing is not that thing.
  • The absence of a thing is not that thing.
    Atheism is not the absence of religion, it's the absence of belief in the supernatural. So by some definitions of the word, atheism is a religion. Just not one that asks for your money so that it can keep asking you for money.
  • Discrete math people!

R = set of all religions, contains no non-religions
    A = athiesm a set which contains no religions
    A is not a subset of R!
  • because atheism is "no god" like anarchism is "no government". Religion is a set of beliefs which informs how the world works and how you should act based on the authority of some godhead.

Atheism isn't an alternative religion that says "science is the godhead, act accordingly", it is the lack of religion, leaving you to figure things out for yourself. The problem is that we, as a society, are bad at dealing with groups that are defined by their shared lack of something so saying "atheist religion" feels like it makes sense even though it is an oxymoron.
  • Why is that? It seems to me that people who militantly believe that there is no God and who actively try to convince people they are right and to join them sounds pretty much like a lot of other religions.
    The absence of a thing is not that thing.
    That may be true, but I'm talking about the ways the adherents act towards others. From what I've seen, militant atheists tend to treat others in manner very similar to the way fundamentalist religions treat others. The main difference is that the religions say, "You'll go to hell if you don't agree with us and we'll shun you and disrespect you for your beliefs unless you convert to our beliefs." and the atheists say, " You're mentally ill if you don't agree with us and we'll shun you and disrespect you for your beliefs unless you convert to our beliefs."

Sounds pretty similar, really.
  • edited May 2011
    How people treat each other doesn't change the definitions of words.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Sounds pretty similar, really.
    So, if my skin is covered in feathers, quack and waddle around in the water I'm a duck?
  • That may be true, but I'm talking about the ways the adherents act towards others. From what I've seen, militant atheists tend to treat others in manner very similar to the way fundamentalist religions treat others. The main difference is that the religions say, "You'll go to hell if you don't agree with us and we'll shun you and disrespect you for your beliefs unless you convert to our beliefs." and the atheists say, " You're mentally ill if you don't agree with us and we'll shun you and disrespect you for your beliefs unless you convert to our beliefs."
    They aren't as bad as the militant peer reviewers. I've herd they're likely to eat you if your paper is wrong...

Please, this is just the stupidest fucking argument I've ever heard. Most people I've seen who have been labeled militant atheists are actually quite nice. Besides, most of them are pacifists any ways. Just because someone disagrees with you vehemently doesn't mean they are militant.
  • There are plenty of atheist groups that will take your money. I dont remember the one's name, but I saw them on the history channel. And it about this entire family that raised money for atheism but then embezzeled it.
  • edited May 2011
    Are soldiers murderers because they kill people? Are security guards a form of organized crime because they get paid to protect small businesses?

Calling atheism a religion because people argue its case against other religions is creating the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting it with a superficially similar yet nonequivalent proposition.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • There are plenty of atheist groups that will take your money. I dont remember the one's name, but I saw them on the history channel. And it about this entire family that raised money for atheism but then embezzeled it.
    I heard anecdotal evidence is the best kind of evidence.
  • How people treat each other doesn't change the definitions of words.
    So by some definitions of the word, atheism is a religion.
  • Atheism is not the absence of religion, it's the absence of belief in the supernatural. So by some definitions of the word, atheism is a religion. Just not one that asks for your money so that it can keep asking you for money.
    Can you name any religion that does not have the belief in the supernatural?
    You have no idea how much of a hard time I had with this in my argumentation class. Apparently, in the field of debate, anecdotal evidence is perfectly valid.
  • edited May 2011
    So by some definitions of the word, atheism is a religion
    O rly, which definitions would these be?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited May 2011
    something of overwhelming importance to a person: football is his religion
    To grab the easiest one.
    Post edited by Zack Patate on
  • edited May 2011
    To grab the easiest one.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • O rly, which definitions would these be?
    To grab the easiest one.
    Yeah, that's called a metaphor.
    Is that kind of like when you say that some militant atheists you've met are very nice people?
  • Is that kind of like when you say that some militant atheists you've met are very nice people?
    Show me one 'militant atheist' who's engaged any sort of violence or militaristic behavior.
  • O rly, which definitions would these be?
    To grab the easiest one.
  • edited May 2011
    Are soldiers murderers because they kill people?
    No, because murder is, specifically, the killing of another human being with Malice Aforethought. Neither of these conditions are applicable for a regular soldier, particularly in combat. This does not mean, naturally, that a soldier cannot be a murderer, however, if a soldier is required to kill in the commission of his duty, then no, he is not a murderer.
    Are security guards a form of organized crime because they get paid to protect small businesses?
    Not really, No, because they're not breaking the law as the usual protection scam does in a number of ways. Pardon me for stating the obvious, but for something to be a form of organized crime, generally, it has to actually be a crime.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited May 2011
    Is that kind of like when you say that some militant atheists you've met are very nice people?
    Show me one 'militant atheist' who's engaged any sort of violence or militaristic behavior.
    Jeffrey Dahmer, Napoleon, Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Kim Jong Ill.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Is that kind of like when you say that some militant atheists you've met are very nice people?
    Jeffrey Dahmer was an atheist.
    Oh no doubt that human beings can do bad things. But I'm talking about people labeled specifically as 'militant atheists' (the new buzzword along with New Atheists). Those who've been labeled as such as a pejorative term.