This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

HungryJoe talks about those Damn Kids in his virtual yard.

Comments

• edited May 2011
    every group has lovely people in it.
    Also, except hate groups. I doubt the SS had lovely people.
    IDK about that. Heinrich Himmler was quite handsome.

Ohhh you ment personality... Yeah. He was a dick.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • Ok I guess you are right. Talking shit about religon and people who are religious does not count as forcefully trying to convert someone.
    LULZ if you think that's forced conversion, you are quite ignorant of history.
  • I don't. I was admitting you were right... There really was no sarcasm there.
  • I don't. I was admitting you were right... There really was no sarcasm there.
    Ahh ok. Kinda hard to tell these days being jaded by the internet and all.
  • I thought that they had tried to convert people. But all they did was talk shit about religon and call people stupid for beliving in them. That is what I ment.
  • Im not as stupid and igonrant as I look.
  • Yeah. They wanted to bar astronauts from praying in space. Cause the ship is govt property.
    To be fair, they weren't trying to prevent people from praying on the Shuttle, just "challenged NASA's religious use of the space program to require astronauts to read the Bible during a space flight. (Wikipedia)." There is a big difference between the two.
  • To be fair, they weren't trying to prevent people from praying on the Shuttle, just "challenged NASA's religious use of the space program to require astronauts to read the Bible during a space flight. (Wikipedia)." There is a big difference between the two.
    This is fairly typical... "He wants to stop praying!!!" "No, Actually he just wants to stop making it mandatory.
  • I think that prayer should be no where near schools or other govt buildings. And its a fucking shame we have In God We Trust on our money.
  • And its a fucking shame we have In God We Trust on our money.
    Don't forget the Pledge of Allegiance. They play it over the intercom every morning at my high school.
  • AmpAmp
    edited May 2011
    Its always nice to see an FRC argument desolve into a shit flinging session. I will put this to you;
    A) Does it matter if my doctor is a christian? I mean yeah he says that 'its in the hands of god' when I ask where I'm going to have to have an operation when its 50/50 chance.
    B) Does it matter that my mail man is an atheist, and makes sure to tell me every day why people who believe in god are all idiots.
    C)Does it matter that my children's teacher tells my child that there is god,rather than tell them that they are an inconsequential speck in the universe.
    D) Does it matter that the lady I work with says, in a totally well meaning way, that she is sorry that I'm going to hell and all.
    E)Does it matter what believe in so long as they do not put that shit on other people?
    Is that not the route of most of the arguments here? No one likes being told what to believe. Nor do they like it when people take an absolute view on a matter, and then tell them that are dumb. So long as it does not effect their job and how they interact with others does it matter what people believe in?
    Post edited by Amp on
  • To whoever on the first page mentioned that Scrym still talks to me, I'll point out they only usually do when they disagree with me...
  • A) Does it matter if my doctor is a christian? I mean yeah he says that 'its in the hands of god' when I ask where I'm going to have to have an operation when its 50/50 chance.
    It depends on whether he allows his beliefs to affect his practice or dictate his actions.

A worse situation are the Christian parents who forgo medical care for their sick children because "the Lord will provide."
    B) Does it matter that my mail man is an atheist, and makes sure to tell me every day why people who believe in god are all idiots.
    Yes, because the mail is a government service and your mail carrier should not be discussing religion on either side of the fence. There is no excuse for almost any profession -- public or private -- to be discussing religion with clients.
    C)Does it matter that my children's teacher tells my child that there is god,rather than tell them that they are an inconsequential speck in the universe.
    Is it a public school? Then it's a huge problem. Is it a private school? Depending on how it's presented, it could be abusive. I certainly think "you are going to hell" is a form of psychological abuse, especially when it's directed at a child at a developmental stage where they aren't equipped to deal with that situation.
    D) Does it matter that the lady I work with says, in a totally well meaning way, that she is sorry that I'm going to hell and all.
    Yes. She's a dick. Also, she is projecting her subjective fairy tale beliefs onto your reality.
    E)Does it matter what believe in so long as they do not put that shit on other people?
    Considering that humans are social animals, it's my contention that no belief can ever be isolated from the rest of the herd. A belief will always have an impact on your behavior, which will in turn have an impact on others.
  • To whoever on the first page mentioned that Scrym still talks to me, I'll point out they only usually do when they disagree with me...
    The only time either of them posts anything of substance is when there's an argument to be had.
  • The only time either of them posts anything of substance is when there's an argument to be had.
    Yea, Axel, the fact you are not ignored is what I'm talking about :-p

//Likes Axel :-p
  • edited May 2011
    A) Does it matter if my doctor is a Christian? I mean yeah he says that 'its in the hands of god' when I ask where I'm going to have to have an operation when its 50/50 chance.
    Yes, because I personally would like to be operated on in an operation room instead of in the dumpster next door. When a doctor says that 'God' decides which patient is operated on where I'm going to another hospital where someone I can ask tells me when and where I'll be operated on.
    No, he's just an asshole.
    C) Does it matter that my children's teacher tells my child that there is god, rather than tell them that they are an inconsequential speck in the universe.
    Yes, unless I bring my child specifically to a Christian school (or whathaveyou) I don't want them wasting time promoting their own religion at the cost of others.
    No, she's just unknowingly a huuuuuuuuuuge bitch.
    E) Does it matter what [they] believe in so long as they do not put that shit on other people?
    Not at all. Sadly sometimes they're blind to seeing when they trespass.
    The only time either of them posts anything of substance is when there's an argument to be had.
    Even then it's debatable whether the substance has any value or isn't just another catchphrase (Rym) or batshit insane crap (Apreche).
    Post edited by Zack Patate on
    If we didn't like you, we wouldn't even argue with you. ;^)
  • It depends on whether he allows his beliefs to affect his practice or dictate his actions.
    I meant in terms that he used such sayings and attitudes. Rather than giving a cold stat tried to mollify it with 'god'.
    Yes, because the mail is a government service and your mail carrier should not be discussing religion on either side of the fence. There is no excuse for almost any profession -- public or private -- to be discussing religion with clients.
    Ah that is my fault, English postmen are a different breed than normal postmen. Or another example. A friend for instance or someone you work with.
    Is it a public school? Then it's a huge problem. Is it a private school? Depending on how it's presented, it could be abusive. I certainly think "you are going to hell" is a form of psychological abuse, especially when it's directed at a child at a developmental stage where they aren't equipped to deal with that situation.
    It is interesting that you jump straight to damnation rather than salvation. You know the whole all forgiving nature and all that. I was more getting at the idea of offering some explanation for why we're are here.

Considering that humans are social animals, it's my contention that no belief can ever be isolated from the rest of the herd. A belief will always have an impact on your behavior, which will in turn have an impact on others.
    Say on the internets then. We all choose to disclose information about ourselves, could we not choose to keep our beliefs to ourselves?
  • I hate being ninjerd so bad....
    If we didn't like you, we wouldn't even argue with you. ;^)
    True enough.
  • This thread is bad, and you should all feel bad.
  • I feel bad for missing it.
  • This thread is bad, and you should all feel bad.
    I'm feeling quite good about it, other than the whole "haven't we done this before" feeling.
  • Science is my religion. Mathematics and Natural Laws are my Gods.
  • I'd avoid saying that kind of thing; it gives people way too much room to misunderstand it.
  • edited May 2011
    I would put it something like "the most analogous thing I have to religion is based on a loose collection of philosophical concepts and the closest thing I have to God is Dolf Lundgren".
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I would put it something like "the most analogous thing I have to religion is based on a loose collection of philosophical concepts and the closest thing I have to God is Dolf Lundgren".
    Stealing this.
  • the closest thing I have to God is Dolf Lundgren".
    "I must break you" would look pretty bad ass on the dollar.
  • I'd avoid saying that kind of thing; it gives people way too much room to misunderstand it.
    Kinda why I said it, Cheese.
  • I believe in the teachings of Jesus. And I do think he exisited. I think that 2,00o years ago some guy named Jesus was walking around all hippie like talking about love and being exclent to each other. Do I believe that he was the son of God/God manifested on Earth... Well. I guess I should first clarify what I belive God is. I think God is an idea. And ideas are powerfull. Do I think that he is some guy with a long white beard that with shake a stick at me and spank me if I eat meat durring lent or cause I like to jerk off? Nah fuck that shit. My concept of God is that he is the collective spirit and ideas of Mankind. God is not "real" Real things can be distroyed. God is an idea. And there is nothing wrong with that. So I guess in that sense Jesus is the son of God. As in the sense we are all children of God. But to me Jesus was just a fucking cool dude with some good ideas. All the shit that got piled on afterwards is shit.

And know what else, I do pray. But not some organized shit. My praying is just asking for help to stay centered and calm and to have a good day. Its much more like meditation. Prayer does work. Not all the time. I mean I can't pray for a sweet ass car that is also a transformer and he can be my robot friend. But prayer works because it gives people hope and helps them stay posative. There have been studies that some people recover from sugury faster if they pray. Now I am not saying this is because some guy that farts on clouds is making me better with magic rainbows. But I do think that it does something to the brain that makes it heal the body faster. And I think in the future that we can probably develope a pill to do the same thing.

Also really. What is fucking wrong with being thankful for the life you have and the things you got. Yes it can be 100% (well maybe not 100 but pretty fucking close how we came to be the humas we are today) And how many planets are there and how many of them have life on them? I dont know about you but I am really thankful that I qam