This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google+

Comments

• Have invitations been opened up again yet?
  • Not as far as I can tell (by looking at my own).
  • I keep trying a few times everyday, but nothing yet.
  • The easiest way to get someone in, far as I can tell, is to make a post and enter someone's email address under "people who can see this post." It's worked for a few friends of mine, during periods where invites were supposedly closed.

God, Google really needs to open this up soon, while the buzz is still huge. It has ridiculous potential, but only if they can somehow attract the people who aren't already invested in it, and step one to doing that is opening it up.
  • I had someone do that for me, but when I click to view their post, and then click "join Google+" it tells me they are at capacity and that i should check back soon.

Also I've been reading and watching videos about Google+ and am feeling a bit more confidant about it.
  • God, Google really needs to open this up soon, while the buzz is still huge. It has ridiculous potential, but only if they can somehow attract the people who aren't already invested in it, and step one to doing that is opening it up.
    I want to agree with this. But I also know that if adding lots of more people will start breaking things, it won't do ether.
  • Not to mention the buzz you can create with fake exclusivity.
    Google Wave, 'nuff said.
    Google Wave, 'nuff said.
    If anything, the first thing I noticed is that google+ is always there no matter what google product you're using, because you have notifications on the top right bugging you about new stuff. Wave was just some weird thing you had to actively create and check all the time, which got annoying quick.
  • edited July 2011
    It's also totally still up, apparently.

EDIT: Also, in my opinion, the reason wave failed was entirely the fault of the web-based interface, as well as the fact that they kept marketing it as this ultimate solution to everything without giving enough details. It was a solution, in many peoples minds, that was looking for a problem.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Wave was collaborative content creation. Most people don't do that.

I'm not sure when I should be using Google+ instead of Twitter or vice versa. It's still way too new for me to add to my browsing workflow.
  • Wave was collaborative content creation. Most people don't do that.
    Also they never added the publishing capabilities.
  • edited July 2011
    Wave was collaborative content creation. Most people don't do that. I'm not sure when I should be using Google+ instead of Twitter or vice versa. It's still way too new for me to add to my browsing workflow.
    Can you link Twitter to your Google+ account?
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • edited July 2011
    One of us on the Paradox team got into the Wave beta and we used the shit out of it for early planning before we got a wiki. All of us being able to modify a document while we hashed out the details over instant messaging was unbelievably useful.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • One of us on the Paradox team
    Holy shit.

Allow me to just take a moment to say how awesome everything you guys make is, and to thank you for both your dedication to your products and your customers.
  • Finally got in. This means I get to sit at the cool kid's table at lunch, right?

(If you wanna look me up, I'm Nate Malynn, or some variation on that).
  • So then are invites open again?
  • Kinda, I guess? I can't see a section to invite just yet.
  • Oh, I meant to post this video when I got in. Pretend I did.
  • Seems that they're not adding new users right now regardless of whether you've got an invite. The home page includes:
    Google+ is in limited Field Trial
    Right now, we're testing with a small number of people, but it won't be long before the Google+ project is ready for everyone. Leave us your email address and we'll make sure you're the first to know when we're ready to invite more people.
    Keep Me Posted
    Already invited? We've temporarily exceeded our capacity. Please try again soon.
    That message has been up (at least some of the time) since Friday.
  • This is kinda a blatant rip off of facebook IMO. I don't see what all the fuss is about,
  • This is kinda a blatant rip off of facebook IMO. I don't see what all the fuss is about,
    Circles are awesome.
  • edited July 2011
    This is kinda a blatant rip off of facebook IMO. I don't see what all the fuss is about,
    Circles are awesome.
    I already organize my Facebook friends into "circles" using the list feature. It's possible to choose specific groups of people to block out/include in everything I do on Facebook.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • ^this
    Circles are awesome.
    I already organize my Facebook friends into "circles" using the list feature. It's possible to choose specific groups of people to block out/include in everything I do on Facebook.
    ^this
    Yes, but while it is possible in Facebook, it's a core tenet of the philosophy of Google+.
  • Yes, but while it is possible in Facebook, it's a core tenet of the philosophy of Google+.
    What does that imply for me outside of seeing the word "Circles" and using a slightly more streamlined interface?
  • I already organize my Facebook friends into "circles" using the list feature. It's possible to choose specific groups of people to block out/include in everything I do on Facebook.
    Yup! I'm not seeing anything that stands out in this. I'll stay signed up, as I think the hangout function will be handy in the future. But so far every single one of my social circles is on Facebook, and far, far more people too, so that is where my energy will lay.

The only people who have added me on Google+, apart from three jugglers, are from this forum. And you know where I want to hear from them? On this forum. Or on Facebook or Twitter. Duplicating that on Google+ isn't very handy.

Facebook lists are handy enough already. Until I can easily apply logic (and, or, not) between the circles, or lists on facebook, I don't really care!
  • The only thing that separates it from Facebook is Hangout, but that really isn't enough to completely switch over. Once again, I feel like Google should have just worked with Facebook rather than trying to replace it.
  • I'm at least interested to see where Google goes with this.
  • I'm at least interested to see where Google goes with this.
    As much as I would love to see where they are going, I am kind of seeing this as another Google Wave.