This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sonic Generations

edited November 2011 in Video Games
I know we've been sort of talking about this game in the Sonic 4 thread, but I think this game deserves its own topic.

Ok, bottom line, this game is good. As a Sonic fan, real good. The levels are extremely well-designed and hit the perfect balance between familiarity and freshness. The challenge stages feel like actual content rather than something tacked on to artificially increase the game's length. There are also a lot of in-jokes and visual nods that make me squeal every time. Best of all, the modern Sonic levels feel legitimately epic for the first time in a loooong time. I won't spoil the City Escape redesign, but for anyone still on the fence about this game, I think this video might sway you:

Comments

• What does it say about me in that I think Skyrim is equivalent to AIDS, whilst I liken Sonic Generations to a Cure for Cancers.
  • What does it say about me in that I think Skyrim is equivalent to AIDS, whilst I liken Sonic Generations to a Cure for Cancers.
    That you have a weird taste in analogies and don't properly expand on your similes.
  • *Video*

*sniff sniff, single tear*
    I TOLD YOU! I TOLD ALL OF YOU! OH SEGA, MY FAITH NEVER WAVERED!!!
  • It's good. For $30 on Steam, it's worth it.
  • I'm definitely getting the 3DS version when it comes out too. I feel like Sega loves me again :')
  • edited November 2011
    *Video*

Sonic Shuffle.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • It's good. For $30 on Steam, it's worth it.
    For fifty bucks, it sure as shit isn't.
  • Looks like the best sonic game in a LONG time. . . but that 'Haaht!' noise he makes with every single move would probably drive me insane.
  • edited November 2011
    Looks like the best sonic game in a LONG time. . . but that 'Haaht!' noise he makes with every single move would probably drive me insane.
    Yeah, that's the Japanese version. He doesn't do that in the English version. Or, at least, not with such grating frequency.

Post edited by Sail on
  • I'm definitely getting the 3DS version when it comes out too. I feel like Sega loves me again :')
    I'll get the 3DS version too. It'll be fun to play VS Mode online.
  • edited November 2011
    *Video*

Sonic Shuffle.
    A test of faith. I played Shuffle and enjoyed it.

Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Shadow the Hedgehog. Actually how about every Rouge the Bat mission in Adventures 2?
  • Who else is getting the 3DS version?
  • Shadow the Hedgehog was a great game. The treasure hunting missions were a stroke of innovation. I enjoyed them greatly.
  • edited November 2011
    Shadow the Hedgehog was a great game. The treasure hunting missions were a stroke of innovation. I enjoyed them greatly.
    Hence why I singled out Rouge's levels. There where some good Knuckles stages, and I still rock "A Ghost's Pumpkin Soup" on my ipod to this day. But whoever designed Mad Space needs to get shot. Preferably by me.

Post edited by Jordan O. on
  • Mad space was fine. What about it bothered you?
  • Shadow the Hedgehog was not great. I played that ENTIRE game, and it wasn't worth it.
  • edited November 2011
    A test of faith. I played Shuffle and enjoyed it.
    Shadow the Hedgehog was a great game. The treasure hunting missions were a stroke of innovation. I enjoyed them greatly.
    Gentlemen, what we have here is a case of Stockholm Syndrome.

That said, Sonic Generations looks amazing, to the point where I'm actually considering paying full price for it.
    Post edited by Yuyuke on
  • edited November 2011
    Sonic Adventure 2 was a great game. The treasure hunting missions were a stroke of innovation. I enjoyed them greatly.
    Yay egregious typos.
    Shadow the Hedgehog was not great. I played that ENTIRE game, and it wasn't worth it.
    "Entire" as in all the endings? Because that game is pretty short with only one playthrough.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • That wasn't a typo. I was addressing the two separately. Not that I'm disagreeing.
  • Oh, well then I'd have to disagree. Shadow wasn't "great" so much as it was "fun for a short while but ultimately mediocre."
  • edited November 2011
    Shadow the Hedgehog was not great. I played that ENTIRE game, and it wasn't worth it.
    "Entire" as in all the endings? Because that game is pretty short with only one playthrough.
    I played the final mission with Super Shadow.

Fuck that game.

Post edited by Axel on
  • edited November 2011
    I played the first like 2 missions. Fuck that game. Also fuck Sonic Colours. Thing plays itself more than it lets me do shit. And the controls are so clunky and slow. The demo for Generation was fucking sweet though. I kinda don't wanna pay full price for it, but eh, I've been longing for some good Sonic for a while now. Sonic 4 was total BS too.
    Post edited by Aria on
  • Having beaten the game and done 2/3 of the challenges so far, I want to say that Sonic Generations isn't just a good Sonic game, it is in my opinion one of the best Sonic games. If it wasn't so short, I'd probably even put it up there with SA2.
  • A test of faith. I played Shuffle and enjoyed it.
    You could enjoy a Sonic dating sim, so that's not saying much.

• A test of faith. I played Shuffle and enjoyed it.
    You could enjoy a Sonic dating sim, so that's not saying much.

Well, let me put it like this: I enjoyed that game like you enjoy getting clothes for christmas. You smile politely, be thankful that you got what you did, and hope they do better next time.

• I dunno. Shuffle seemed fun at the time.
  • If we're taking 2x4s to Sonic Games, Biolizard (Adventure 2) is by far one of the worst final bosses I've had the displeasure of fighting. Wasn't so much a fight as it was one of those mario hacks where you need to do everything 110% right or you'll die.

Also, Running Though Dark Gaia (Unleashed) was an exercise in frustration.
  • edited November 2011
    Which Biolizard? The one where you fight him as Shadow or the one where you're flying through space as Super Sonic/Shadow? I don't remember having much trouble with either, to be honest.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Which Biolizard? The one where you fight him as Shadow or the one where you're flying through space as Super Sonic/Shadow? I don't remember having much trouble with either, to be honest.
    Yeah, I mean, my six year old give up at the drop of a hat brother beat them both no problem.