This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20111117 - Emily and Rym in Japan

edited November 2011 in GeekNights
I can relate to Rym's experience drinking in Japan. I used to work at a Chinese restaurant, and sometimes my boss would invite me to his house for dinner with his family. The cook also lived there and he loved to drink, so when I came over he would get really excited and get me drunk. I was weird because he only spoke Cantonese, of which I know maybe a dozen words, so we couldn't understand each other at all.

Since videos with intentionally corrupted encoding are not relevant to many conversations, have a couple of links.

Comments

• I think Emily would enjoy the first two books in the John Rain series by Barry Eisler. 'Rain Fall' and 'Hard Rain' discussed some of the cities you both were in.
  • edited November 2011
    I dunno, I checked them out on Amazon, they looked okay, but pretty pulpy. Apparently they are by this American lawyer who does business in Japan and lived there for a time. I am surprised they don't call the main character a "half" in the Amazon review ,which is way more colloquial instead of using the world "konketsu." In the beginning of the book they mention Shibuya and the 109, which was a big hangout spot for me in high school. Cool.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited November 2011
    Having a iPhone on airplane mode was ridiculously helpful for me. I spent one week and outside of having to do some actual work here or there (it was a work trip), I was able to do a lot of solo exploring. I transferred just about every useful landmark map, guide pdf, rail schedule, whatever onto my phone. Made the trip infinitely easier and more enjoyable.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Yeah, I used it for train time tables and train maps, but I also had a print version of the Tokyo transit map as well.
  • When you were in Akihabara, did you venture up to the higher floors in any of the toy & game shops? That was the one thing I was not expecting to find there. Row upon row of gachapon all bagged and hanging on pegs. It was like a sea of unwanted toys, and all pretty much the same cost as what you'd pay for a random new one out of a machine. As you were pointing out to Scott, it seems that there's less these days that is "can only get it in Japan" but small things like that are one of them. Did a ton of souvenir shopping there.
  • I actually bought the Maison Ikkoku gatchapon figures like that a long time ago. We did a little exploring, but we weren't in Akiba for super long.
  • Hey guys, are you using different hosting these day or something? Your podcasts are downloading about ten times slower than any other audio file on the internet. Every other podcast is coming in at normal speeds, but yours are so slow (on the order of hours each) that I've not managed to download the last three episodes at all, even spread over many internet sessions over many days of traveling.
  • Nothing's changed at all on our side.
  • edited November 2011
    If you really just want to play some Magic quickly, just buy any Duel Deck product. Gives you two decent 60 card decks of a reasonable power level and they are specifically designed to be played against each other, so they are pretty much balanced. Runs you $20 total.

Another option I'd recommend is the Commander product which is sold as five individual 100 card decks. Except for basic lands, none of the decks contain multiple copies of the same card, because it is a Highlander format. The Commander format is a lot of fun, but these starter decks are a bit expensive with a price point of $30 each. Commander is however also by far the most popular casual format, and these decks were created by WOTC well after it became so. These decks also contain unique cards that are not available in any other product, and are also quite valuable in resale. The commander decks could also be hard to find though.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited November 2011
    I knew there was something else I wanted to comment on in this episode, and Chaos just reminded me. I also strongly recommend playing Commander if you want to just casually play a few rounds of Magic. It's also a format that is at its best with a group. When I was out with the Pro Tour back in February, all of the WotC staff would just go back to the hotel and play Commander all night. It was a lot of fun.

Are the Commander decks actually hard to come by? WotC sends me all sorts of stuff since I'm on their review list, and I got a set of all 5 Commander decks back in the summer. If I can turn a pretty penny, might have to look into offloading them now that I've gotten my use out of them.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • How does this Commander mode work?
  • edited November 2011
    In addition to your deck, you also have a legendary creature called General or Commander outside of your deck in the so called Command zone. This card works just like if it were in your hand and you can play it whenever you could normally play a creature by paying its mana cost. If the General is put into a graveyard, you may choose to put it into the command zone instead, and any time you cast him again, you have to pay an additional 2 mana of any color to cast him for each time you cast him before.

Your a deck must have 99 cards (100 counting the General). Except for basic lands, no card may have the same english name as any other card (this makes it a Highlander type format, "there can only be one", yadda yadda yadda). Additionally, you may not use any cards that contain a mana symbol that is not also found on your General. This is called the General's "color identity", i.e. the color identity of Bosh, Iron Golem is red, even though it is a colorless artifact since it has no colored mana symbols in its mana cost (in the top right). Additionally, if mana of a color not in your General's color identity were to be added to your mana pool, that much colorless mana is added instead. For example, if Bosh is your general, you can't use Ancient Grudge because a) It has a different color identity (green-red) and b) you can't flashback it because you can't produce green mana.

Players start with 40 life, however, they also die if a General deals a total of 21 combat damage to them (the general doesn't have to stay on the table continuously for this). There's different resources for banned and restricted lists as well, which depend on playgroup. This site is probably the best resource on the format.

Commander is basically playing a highlander format coupled with an RTS Hero unit.

As an aside, the Commander format was originally called "Elder Dragon Highlander" or EDH for short (which is where the name of the site linked above comes from). The Commander product WOTC made was created because it is so popular and because WOTC heard the demand for more Wedge-colored legendary creatures, i.e. creatures that have three colors, an allied pair and their common "enemy" color, e.g. Black-Green-White. Each of the Commander decks marketed by WOTC includes three legendary creatures of one wedge color identity, two brand new ones that can only be found in that deck, and one reprinted Legendary Dragon (because you know, you gotta have them Dragons). They also have enemy-colored legendary creatures in them, which you can use as a starting point for different commander decks.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited November 2011
    3-6 players, 100 card decks, and all 100 cards must be unique (no going out and buying 10 dupes of the same rare to stack your deck).

Each deck is built around one Legendary Creature card. That creature is kept to the side, and can be summoned on any turn. Also, a big part of the deck construction is that you can only ever earn mana of the color types listed in your legendary creature's summoning cost.

Everyone starts with 40 life. If you lose it, you're out. Also, if any one player deals 21 or more damage to any other individual player, they knock that player out of the game, so you do have to track where your damage came from.

Edit: 4-minute Ninja'd, that's what I get for multitasking.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Oh, so that's what Jeremy and my friends do. I thought it was something they came up with. Some different way to play versus M:TG actually coming up with it.

Good thing I got a few Commander sets for free from PAX.
  • Some different way to play versus M:TG actually coming up with it.
    I don't really know who invented it but it actually wasn't the Magic staff. It's a fan-created game which they are attempting to brand and legitimize by calling it Commander and releasing targeted products. As Chaosof99 said before, it was always called "Elder Dragon Highlander" (EDH) so I can't blame WotC for wanting to use a name that rolls of the tongue a bit easier.

• Rym, can we get the Madoka temple writing picture?
  • RymRym
    edited November 2011
    Kyubei is wishful
    IMG_20111027_132024
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited November 2011
    Some different way to play versus M:TG actually coming up with it.
    I don't really know who invented it but it actually wasn't the Magic staff. It's a fan-created game which they are attempting to brand and legitimize by calling it Commander and releasing targeted products. As Chaosof99 said before, it was always called "Elder Dragon Highlander" (EDH) so I can't blame WotC for wanting to use a name that rolls of the tongue a bit easier.

IIRC, it was made by a few level 5 judges up in Alaska. It soon spread to other judges on the Pro Tour, then to regular players.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • Photos from the trip.
    Double photos!! What does it mean?

• I have never noticed how much Rym looks like Gideon Graves.
  • Oh gosh, I would like to preface this by saying that my hair is messy in a lot of the photos, which is unfortunate.
  • Oh gosh, I would like to preface this by saying that my hair is messy in a lot of the photos, which is unfortunate.
    You're cute in most of them. ^_~
  • edited November 2011
    I look kinda nerdy, though. Not my most photogenic.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I'm going to be heading over for a few weeks soon, quite possibly in time for new years. Any suggestions for what to do during shogatsu?
  • I'm going to be heading over for a few weeks soon, quite possibly in time for new years. Any suggestions for what to do during shogatsu?
    Watch TV! There are crazy special things on TV during New Years.
  • I can watch New Years TV from here on KeyHoleTV. Resolution's not great, but it works. I watched The Matrix once, it was weird.
  • I can watch New Years TV from here on KeyHoleTV. Resolution's not great, but it works. I watched The Matrix once, it was weird.
    ZOMG I want to watch the Matrix so bad now. I've seen it a zillion times, but it's been awhile.