This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

X-Large (Obesity in America Discussion)

Comments

These waffles?
  • Is that shrimp or chicken on those waffles?
  • Fried Chicken and Waffles. It's a southern dish (not surprising) Search google images for awesome pictures.
  • Damn, that looks tasty.
  • I hate you guys. You're meant to eat them as a snack. Just get them from your friendly waffle van.
  • Awesome. I would buy the shit out of some waffles that way.
  • I tried some chicken 'n' waffles a few weeks ago and came up disappointed. It wasn't their fault, I've just not met a waffle that can hold a candle to that one from the beer festival at PAX East.
  • edited December 2011
    Best fried chicken and waffles on this green Earth come from Longman&Eagle in Chicago. They come with pork belly hash made with sweet potatoes instead of standard potatoes.

I will back up my claim by saying that this restaurant has a Michelin star. It's a Michelin-starred joint serving fried chicken and waffles. Go there, get them, order a Bloody Larry. It's their house Bloody Mary, but made with your choice of whiskey (they have over 100 varieties) instead of vodka.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I like fried chicken and I like waffles, but I have no desire to eat them together. Blech.
  • I like fried chicken and I like waffles, but I have no desire to eat them together. Blech.
    I can imagine that it'd be repulsive if done incorrectly, but when the batter and skin is super crispy and just the right blend of salty and sweet, and the chicken is so moist it falls apart on your fork, it's not a whole lot stranger than dragging crispy bacon through maple syrup after pancakes.

I'd urge you to try it. It doesn't seem like something that works, but, as evidenced by the restaurant I mentioned, it does indeed work. It works so well that that restaurant honed it to an art form. It's one of my favorite things on their menu.
  • Best fried chicken and waffles on this green Earth come from Longman&Eagle in Chicago. They come with pork belly hash made with sweet potatoes instead of standard potatoes.

I will back up my claim by saying that this restaurant has a Michelin star. It's a Michelin-starred joint serving fried chicken and waffles. Go there, get them, order a Bloody Larry. It's their house Bloody Mary, but made with your choice of whiskey (they have over 100 varieties) instead of vodka.
    That sounds incredible, aside from the Bloody Larry.
  • Again, the Bloody Larry is something that must be experienced to be believed. From the Trib:
    Larry has a sturdy base that anchors the proprietary mix's citrus and spices, served in a pint glass rimmed with traditional Maryland Old Bay seasoning and garnished with a pickle, a green olive and a perfect cube of four-year aged Widmer cheddar from Wisconsin. All of L&E's marys are served with an Old Style beer back, just because.
    The restaurant makes liberal use of Old Bay in several dishes, too. They manage to take mundane concepts and turn them into godlike food totems.
  • I don't like whiskey that much, nor pickles, or olives. So while it sounds interesting, it doesn't sound good to me.
  • edited December 2011
    I hate you guys. You're meant to eat them as a snack. Just get them from your friendly waffle van.
    We have one of those! It's called Wafels and Dinges. It comes near our office on Wodensday! Wodensday Waffles! (That's what it says on their sign board. Wodensday specials. It's become a thing.)
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Is that boneless fried chicken on the side?
  • edited December 2011
    Joe Boomer it's a wuss and ordered a standalone cheeseburger at Nick Tahoe's. Loser.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • How the fuck did I get to Nick Tahoe anyway?
    Probably on 490.

^ +1. There are things not meant to be mixed.
  • I've never had fried chicken and waffles simultaneously. However, the idea is very exciting. If both the waffles and the chicken were of a very high quality, I would greatly enjoy it. I've had the pulled pork BBQ waffle from the waffle truck, and it is excellent.
  • edited December 2011
    How the fuck did I get to Nick Tahoe anyway?
    MUAHAHA INNER LOOP! MADNESS IN HIGHWAY FORM!

EDIT: I believe it's on West Main St. In that case, take W. Henrietta to Mt. Hope, go across the river, then take Plymouth Ave to Jefferson (I think). That should get you to Main St. (These are off the top of my head, so I would suggest consulting the Googles)

PRO TIP: Don't hang around that area after dark. I was waiting for a bus once and there was a drive by shooting a few feet away. Not happy funtimes.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • edited December 2011
    I've never had fried chicken and waffles simultaneously. However, the idea is very exciting. If both the waffles and the chicken were of a very high quality, I would greatly enjoy it. I've had the pulled pork BBQ waffle from the waffle truck, and it is excellent.
    Yeah, Eggo and KFC would be revolting, like a plate of hot garbage (distinct from a delicious hot garbage plate). However, Harold's Fried Chicken (dunno what your ghetto-gourmet fried chicken is in NYC, but Harold's is Chicago's) and some fresh Belgian Waffles (preferably from a Waffle Truck or a proper pâtisserie)? Bliss. It's the ultimate breakfast dish. All you doubters need to try it. The flavors speak for themselves.
    They just opened up a new one right down the street from Jay's. It's only like 2 minutes from campus now.
    They just opened up a new one right down the street from Jay's. It's only like 2 minutes from campus now.
    Oh god Jay's.

Can you still stand a spoon vertically in the chowder?

• Oh god Jay's.

As of last spring, yes. That the last time I was there, though.
  • Oh god Jay's.

WHERE IS THIS CHOWDER SHANGRI-LA OF WHICH YOU SPEAK

SHOW ME O ORACLE, THAT I MAY FEAST UPON THIS THICKEST OF CHOWDERS

• Oh god Jay's.

WHERE IS THIS CHOWDER SHANGRI-LA OF WHICH YOU SPEAK

SHOW ME O ORACLE, THAT I MAY FEAST UPON THIS THICKEST OF CHOWDERS

I once turned a bowl of the chowder upside down. It took 4 full seconds before anything fell out.

• edited December 2011
    Alright, roadtripping to NY this summer for some chowder, some pizza, and a Garbage Plate.
  • Alright, roadtripping to NY this summer for some chowder, some pizza, and a Garbage Plate.
    Travel by map. It's faster.

• I once turned a bowl of the chowder upside down. It took 4 full seconds before anything fell out.
    I think I was there for that. It was kind of hilarious. I still go to Jays when I come back home because it is reasonably near my sister's apartment.
    How the fuck did I get to Nick Tahoe anyway?

EDIT: I believe it's on West Main St. In that case, take W. Henrietta to Mt. Hope, go across the river, then take Plymouth Ave to Jefferson (I think). That should get you to Main St. (These are off the top of my head, so I would suggest consulting the Googles)

PRO TIP: Don't hang around that area after dark. I was waiting for a bus once and there was a drive by shooting a few feet away. Not happy funtimes.
    Depends on which way you are coming from. I usually came into the city from 490, and got off the highway near where the abandoned subway tunnel lets out. Nick Tahoe's might have moved since I lived in Rochester.