This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Otakon 2012

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Part of the schedule got leaked, so my panel (When You Wish Upon a Tezuka) is apparently going to happen at 11:30 AM on Friday in panel room 5.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • edited July 2012
    Well, fuck: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48207062/ns/local_news-baltimore_md/t/downtown-water-main-break-could-block-streets-days/
    It's two weeks til the con, it'll be fine.
    I sure hope so, but I've seen how slow Baltimore can be about clearing water.
    I just hope for your sake that the Baltimore bum community doesn't get wet. Think of the smell!

Post edited by Matt on
  • So the con is this week, what are we doing about the Meet-Up?
  • Part of the schedule got leaked, so my panel (When You Wish Upon a Tezuka) is apparently going to happen at 11:30 AM on Friday in panel room 5.
    They are kind of putting you against "The Fast Karate for The Gentlemen", which sucks. You know what sucks more?
    Me not being able to go to neither of them :(

• Dave is running the same lecture he ran at ConnectiCon. It was, by all accounts, pretty solid. We're trying to get him to come to MAGFest now too.
  • So, for the meet up. How about Friday lunch, or dinner and grab some booze saturday night and party? Just throwing out ideas.
  • So, for the meet up. How about Friday lunch, or dinner and grab some booze saturday night and party? Just throwing out ideas.
    Lunch or dinner sounds good to ConstantineJenniferGreg. We are bringing a few games if people are up for that.

• Lunch or dinner sounds good to ConstantineJenniferGreg. We are bringing a few games if people are up for that.

In on another pro-mealtime vote.
    Also, what variety of games?

• Bohnanza and Spot It are definites. Everything else will be whatever we feel like packing on Wednesday.
  • Dave is running the same lecture he ran at ConnectiCon. It was, by all accounts, pretty solid. We're trying to get him to come to MAGFest now too.
    Well Rym I DO know the guy who is in charge of panels for MAGfest this year if you are interested in talking to him directly.
  • We work closely with the MAGFest staff anyway. We've been members of the "Gaming Intellectuals" group for panels every year we've attended.
  • Fair enough. Now there is a chance I could get down there on Saturday is that the ideal FRC hang out day?
  • I think I'm gonna skip Otakon this year. Driving to Queens twice in one month has left me strapped for cash and I'd rather spend the little money I still have going to an autocross with my friends on Sunday.
  • Shall we set up a GroupMe for Otakon?
  • It has been made to exist. Viga, I added you, Constantine, and Greg.

Who wants in on the GroupMe? It uses a smartphone app or SMS, whichever you want. Give us your email address and any of us in the group can add you.
  • Question, is there going to be a significant meetup outside of the convention center or are ya'll hanging out within the con? $80 for one day for me is a tad high but would like to go and see all of you all again.
  • Question, is there going to be a significant meetup outside of the convention center or are ya'll hanging out within the con? $80 for one day for me is a tad high but would like to go and see all of you all again.
    I'm guessing there will be some of each. There has been talk of lunch or dinner and I'll bet we'd leave the con ctr for that, esp if you want to join us and don't have a badge.
  • Can you all please add liakahi@gmail.com to the GroupMe?
  • Can you all please add liakahi@gmail.com to the GroupMe?
    Done.

You and I seriously need to talk Disney, btw.
  • ConnectiCon to Disney to Otakon. Damn. :-)
  • ConnectiCon to Disney to Otakon. Damn. :-)
    I am truly leading a charmed life, at least this month.
    I'm guessing there will be some of each. There has been talk of lunch or dinner and I'll bet we'd leave the con ctr for that, esp if you want to join us and don't have a badge.
    Ok this might work, if you have an approximate tmeish I can go down. It appears another group I know is also going to be down there and if I can catch both of y'all in one fell swoop without paying money for the con, that is a win in my book.
  • I won't be going this year, due to Accidents and vacations I don't have the spare car and Laura would be stranded at home.
  • Add me in then to the group, Cold Guy should be the name since the last time I was on it.
  • That was fun. Do it again in a year?
  • Eh why not, barely cost me a thing :P
  • Otakon forums tell me that Otakon 2013 is August 9-11, which practically requires me to go there and celebrate my birthday.

Was anybody there at the end of the feedback panel? I think that's when the announcement was probably made.
  • They always announce the con dates for next year and the approximate number of attendees at the end of Con Feedback. Otakon is going to be a bit late next year. Not looking forward to the slightly longer wait, but definitely looking forward to whatever awesome things they have going on for the 20th (especially MAT3K).

Also, panel ops are the shit. They got me the adapter needed to hook up my laptop to the projector for my panel (I brought the one that allows me to hook up my laptop anywhere around campus, not ever thinking that it might not be the standard cable.).
  • Hopefully I can go. But I'll probably be working next summer...