This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRC Forums Tekkit Server

Comments

• I can handle multiple worlds. I'm totally pro-PVP.

Edit: Also, re: suicide bombing: admins always have the nuclear deterrent.
    CHEATING!!
  • You could give X amount of time to build up your arsenal and defenses and then initiate PVP.
  • Keep in mind, I haven't played Minecraft in many months. I have never played Tekkit ever. My PVP skills are going to amount to punching your house, possibly with a tool made of metal or diamond.
  • Muppet, if you really want to be cheap you can always just use Ubuntu on the new pc and save yourself $100. Minecraft actually worked a lot better on my desktop in Ubuntu than in Windows 7.
  • I have never played Minecraft seriously, so my PvP skills will amount to finding a way to squat in someone's house and watching everyone kill each other.
  • edited July 2012
    To be fair, you're not really an admin without godlike spawn powers. Though, fret not. I don't intend on building any monolithic blights on the landscape, or abusing my authority by interfering with the PVP. A watchmaker god am I.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Yeah, I was going to mention that every time I try to introduce other methods of getting items than the normal ones, my servers tend to devolve. I think a lot of the fun is trying to actually legitimately get stuff, instead of buying things in a shop mod or trading other items for credits.

However, I believe Tekkit comes with a magic mod that lets you transmute items into other items. Each item gets a base magic value. There's also a magic absorbing device that can clone items. You have to work your way up to all of that stuff though, so it's still somewhat balanced.
  • Muppet, if you really want to be cheap you can always just use Ubuntu on the new pc and save yourself $100. Minecraft actually worked a lot better on my desktop in Ubuntu than in Windows 7.
    Anything I get her will have to do duty as a homework/internet machine as well. I'd be fine with Ubuntu if they hadn't horsed 11.04 all up, probably.
  • I've only played the XBOX version of Minecraft, which is several releases behind the PC version. I'd be a useless punching dummy in PvP right now.
  • You can install Gnome in Ubuntu and get it pretty much how it was before, so its worth a shot.
  • edited July 2012
    Or you could go with something like lubuntu and likely boost your performance further.

PS: This sounds cool, I'll probably play a bit.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I might play, but I'm probably going rogue.
  • No griefing. :-P
  • edited July 2012
    OK assuming ninjarabbi is "in", we have 13 interested players including myself (not counting my kid yet because she needs better hardware).

So, the cheapest server is out, because it only has 10 slots. The next one up gives us 2GB of RAM and 22 slots (room to add friends/guests/whatever). So, I'm going to go for the $24/month one.

Anybody who wants to pitch in (thanks vhdblood!!) is welcome to do so. My paypal address is my name with a dot between first and last (Mark Warner) at the gmail thing. Please donate a MAXIMUM of $2/month per player to avoid sending me more money than is required to cover the server fee.

Donating is OPTIONAL AND VOLUNTARY. Nobody has to pay to get on and nobody will be kicked off or barred for not donating, but let's try to keep it to FRC members only except for temporary situations like "my friend is visiting for the weekend and wants to spectate" or similar.

I'm probably overthinking/overpreparing, so excuse the wall of text/ultra-seriousness. ;-)
    Post edited by muppet on
  • I'm not a massive PvP person.
  • I would like throw a token amount into a chip in fund if you set one up.
  • I'd like to play as well. I remembered having a lot of fun with IndustrialCraft, so I messed around with single player Tekkit and liked what I saw. Now I'll just have do decide if I want to focus on technology or alchemy.
  • I would like throw a token amount into a chip in fund if you set one up.
    Do you mean something other than just my paypal address..?

I set up the server. It says "pending" in the "client area", so I guess somebody at the company (Mineocity, as it happens) has to manually set it up? Their paypal integration was very poor so I got dumped on some invoice screen instead of a confirmation. My Paypal was billed by "Hometec Inspections". Seems like a very small, seat-of-the-pants operation. If what I see on the control panel is correct, it seems they only have 4 servers hosted? The option I selected now says "Sold Out".

LOL

Anyway, I assume that somebody from the hosting "company" has to see my order and act on it before we're live, so maybe tomorrow...? Their email didn't say. It just said I could log into the client area now (but I can't log into a server control panel.)

Communication is not their thing. :-)

• PayPal will work. I I've just encountered some people using a thing called chip in lately.
  • Oh, I'm familiar with it, but I thought it was only for fund raising (like, charity I mean). I think Chip In takes a cut, too, on top of what Paypal takes.

My email address is spelled out above, but donating is highly optional so don't sweat it.
  • If Muppet gives me Admin privileges, I'll create some portal hubs and extra worlds. Survival/PVP, Survival/Friendly, and Creative. I also know how to set up portals that empty your inventory when you use them, so multiworld can't be used to cheat.
  • Wait, you can portal between worlds in game? That's awesome!

My only concern would be that you can access my paypal/payment info if I give you access. As long as that's not the case, we're good. Even if it is the case, we MIGHT still be good, but I'll be more paranoid about it. ;-)
  • I'm in, though I won't be able to play for like a month until I get back to college.
  • Daniel M from Mineocity said we're overbooked but a server will be available for us in 12-24 hours at MOST.
  • i might be interested now & then, although i already run a private server.
  • Could you create a portal to connect your server's world to another server's?
  • I'm in and I'll pitch in on when I get a bit of extra cash.
  • edited July 2012
    Could you create a portal to connect your server's world to another server's?
    Yes. It's fussy, but you can.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Ohh, what if all of our FRFC minecraft servers connected?
  • I would definitely like to check it out. I've already got a megaproject going on my own server though, so I don't know how active I'd be until that's done.