This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRC Forums Tekkit Server

Comments

• Did either of you other ops change something late last night or early this morning? Before vhd did the Essentials plugin, I mean. Since early this morning, the game keeps messing up and not allowing people to properly move inventory or craft. When you click on something in your "backpack" it automatically jumps to your "equipped" bar and vice versa. Apreche was trying to craft and stuff was dropping on the floor instead of the table.

Logging out, closing the game, and then re-launching and re-logging fixes it, but it keeps happening. It's a new problem as of this morning-ish.
  • With regards to Scott's question about chests and houses, I know of a lock plugin that makes doors and chests indestructible and only usable/editable by admins and the player that set them up. I'll install that later tonight.
    I think we already have Personal Safe, isn't that good enough? Do we need locked doors when people can just cut a hole in your wall to get in? :)

I don't care if people tour my house.
  • Nope. I was just working with some alchemical stuff in-game; but I haven't even touched the FTP or the plugins frontend yet.
  • With regards to Scott's question about chests and houses, I know of a lock plugin that makes doors and chests indestructible and only usable/editable by admins and the player that set them up. I'll install that later tonight.
    I think we already have Personal Safe, isn't that good enough? Do we need locked doors when people can just cut a hole in your wall to get in? :)

I don't care if people tour my house.
    Didn't know we had Personal Safe. Cool.

• Here's what I've been working on in single player:
    The more uranium rods in a reactor and the more heat there is, the more energy you extract both at a time, and over it's entire life.
    The more uranium rods in a reactor and the more heat there is, the more quickly the reactor goes critical with the force of about a whole stack of TNT.
    I've built and tested this with small amounts of fuel but now I'm working on computer controlling the whole operation so I can use pipes to suck the fuel out if I need to scram the reactor.
    That screen is a computer, complete with Lua based programming language. The thing below it is an in-game floppy disc drive with discs you can write programs to and move them around as well as a wireless modem next to it.
    Not clear if you've found them yet, but there are a number of cooling methods for reactors, including ones that allow a reactor to be 100% stable.
    Coolant cells and heat dispersers are the best way to setup a stable reactor providing passive heat reduction. Ice blocks and water buckets (not sure on the water) can also provide one time instantaneous heat removal.

• This whole thing is suddenly failing and crashing all over the place. If that's how it's gonna be, not worth it.
  • This whole thing is suddenly failing and crashing all over the place. If that's how it's gonna be, not worth it.
    It really shouldn't be doing that. Might be something that Essentials aggravated. Tekkit is stable on its own, from the local experimentation I've done.

Muppet, what extra plugins have we added? Just Essentials?
  • edited July 2012
    This whole thing is suddenly failing and crashing all over the place. If that's how it's gonna be, not worth it.
    It really shouldn't be doing that. Might be something that Essentials aggravated. Tekkit is stable on its own, from the local experimentation I've done.

Muppet, what extra plugins have we added? Just Essentials?
    I think vhdblood added a few things. I've added nothing. I'd really prefer not to add anything, personally, because of exactly what is happening now. :-)

The only trouble with vanilla Tekkit as I see it is getting everyone to have /sethome, /home, /spawn, but instability isn't worth having those.

Apreche, just FYI, the server comes down and boots everyone about every 1-2 hours by design. I looked it up and sure enough, that's on purpose. Apparently Tekkit is bad at garbage collection so to solve memory issues it just resets at some threshold.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Yeah, roll it back to stock Tekkit and we'll start from scratch. Find out what vhd added so that we don't delete any core Tekkit stuff.

If anyone needs spawn or home 'ports, we can handle that for you if you give us your home coordinates.
  • edited July 2012
    Oh shit! Mojang released a patch last night. Might be that. Disable the new plugins anyway, just in case.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited July 2012
    Yeah, roll it back to stock Tekkit and we'll start from scratch. Find out what vhd added so that we don't delete any core Tekkit stuff.

If anyone needs spawn or home 'ports, we can handle that for you if you give us your home coordinates.
    Doesn't actually work. I tried it last night with Sarah.
    Oh shit! Mojang released a patch last night. Might be that. Disable the new plugins anyway, just in case.
    vhdblood says the inventory thing is an issue of the client window losing focus in the OS? He says hitting esc to get a cursor and then re-focusing the window should fix it.

I dunno, it hasn't happened again yet so that I can try it.

The server seems to have just one issue: the inventory weirdness. The reboots are by design according to Tekkit Wiki. Not sure we need to roll everything back just yet..? I have to say I kinda like the Essentials mod...
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Re:Reactors

A cell sitting by itself will give of 10 heat and 10 EU/tick. Surrounding it with cooling cells means it puts out 4 heat.

10 EU is not a lot. If you put a second rod in one of the cells next to it, both of them double in power output so you're getting 20*2=40 EU but both put out double the heat and you have one less slot around each to put a cooling cell.

There are some crazy reactors that have uranium cells surrounded by other cells, meaning that central cell is putting out 2560 EU/tick from just that cell.. but that's 2560 heat/tick.
  • There's a bug with Personal Safes, they're not locking. Sarah was able to open mine and remove items. I dunno if it's a conflict with Essentials or something else.
  • Can I get added to the whitelist? I'd like to check this out. My username is Midgardsormr.
  • Is there any easy way to get the seven-gazillion mods that this server requires or do I have to just suck it up and download them individually?
  • edited July 2012
    Is there any easy way to get the seven-gazillion mods that this server requires or do I have to just suck it up and download them individually?
    Technic Launcher is all you need. Just once you download and launch it, go into the options on the login screen and make sure you're running build 3.1.1

Alex, added.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Had to force quit because everything was crashing.
  • Weird. So far, it's just you and Scott.
  • edited July 2012
    The only things I added to the server are Worldedit, anitcreeper, and Essentials.

Edit: I'm going to remove anticreeper and use the Essentials toggle for creeper damage instead.

I don't get why Sail and Scott are crashing, but everyone else is fine. I've had literally no issues up to now.

As far as the inventory bug, I know that when I Alt-tab out of the game and then go back to the game, I have to hit the alt-key again and then click on the Minecraft Window to regain focus. Otherwise, the game will act perfectly fine, but when you go to move items around it'll throw em on the ground instead of picking them up.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • I guess what I read earlier about the server restarting periodically by design was BS because it's no longer doing it.
  • edited July 2012
    Nuclear Reactor MK I Go! This thing puts out a stupid amount of power, and it's totally stable!

I'm using this setup:

With my big ass quarry at full speed AND a green powered oil refinery pumping, I'm still gaining power during the night, and during the day, I get a big boost to my power from my solar.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • edited July 2012
    Still can't connect to the server. I'm using Technic Pack Launcher on the Tekkit setting and it's saying Mod Loader is out of date.
    This design actually works, but only for 244 seconds.
    The computer shutoff worked, but the reactor melted the redstone torch directly beneath it which is needed to shut it off.
    Containment worked well. I'm aiming to have a cup shape around the reactor so the whole thing blows the ceiling off.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • With my big ass quarry at full speed AND a green powered oil refinery pumping, I'm still gaining power during the night, and during the day, I get a big boost to my power from my solar.
    and i'm still stuck trying to find some redstone >.<
  • edited July 2012
    Vhdblood is better than me. I just spawned all my materials for the reactor. But, I'm now engaged in intensive optimization research. I'm trying to build an ice plant, but I can't get my compressors powered and playing nice with Buildcraft pipes.

Also, I'm installing an Automat near spawn, so you can buy a few items with IC2 Coins or resources. Pickaxes, batteries, stuff like that. Things you need to get back to your house if you respawn at night.
  • When it comes to BC pipes, the pipe has to connect to the bottom to fill or empty the bottom slot and the top for the top slot.
  • edited July 2012
    Also, check the Industrialcraft Wiki to get which type of voltage your machine uses Low/Medium/High/Extreme and either use the transformer box or the transformer upgrade.

Oh.. Just updated and my world disintegrated from all the ID changes.
  • edited July 2012
    I'm looking into breeder reactors due to the resource savings. 1 refined uranium surrounded by 8 cells gives 8 depleted cells which can be turned into 8 restored cells in the breeder and then to 8 new fuel cells with coal dust.

Downside: Breeders work fastest when hot.
  • edited July 2012
    I might run a small-scale breeder with a lava cell and ice feed and a SCRAM system. I want to design some seriously complex circuitry, but I lack the time.

Also, my main core can run a 7x4 block of uranium cells with ice cooling for about five minutes at a time, but I need a sustained cooling system. It's a decent configuration, but I can't be waiting around to pull the cells or add more ice all the time.
  • edited July 2012
    Still can't connect to the server.
    You have to go into the options menu in the launcher and switch away from the recommended build to the newer build. It should say 3.1.1 after you do.
    Post edited by Sail on