This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What have you bought recently?

Comments

• edited February 2013
    I love me a tanto I've made use of the extra penetrating power a few times. How does that one hold an edge?

Also what is the jiggle siphon for?
    Holds an edge pretty well. It's a day to day use knife, so it's nothing fancy, and I do have to give it a touch-up every once in a while, but I only have to really give it a proper sharpen every 6 months or so, most of the time I can get away with just using my small honing stone on it.

The siphon is simply to make it easier to get fuel into the van from jerry cans, as well as any other siphoning-related things that I might need it for. See, the van has quite a recessed filler port with a stiff door(and it's pretty low, too - just above knee height for me, but I'm a tall guy), so I need to use a funnel, and my jerry doesn't have a proper spout - unless they've changed them recently, just like the steel army jerries, though mine is racecar red instead of green drab. It's a bastard to hold a funnel and pour a 20L jerry at the same time, so I normally use a siphon, but that can be a real pain in the ass with a regular siphon - either you get a mouthful of petrol, or you spend a few minutes capping the end with your thumb and trying to draw it up far enough to start the drain.

With the jiggle siphon, it's got the marble on a weak spring, so to get it started, you just flick the copper end around in the fuel a bit with an in-and-out motion till it starts the flow. When you push it forward, the marble pushes in, lets fuel past. When you pull it back, the reversed flow combined with the spring push the glass marble against the curled-over end of the spout, which creates a seal. With a few jiggles, you've got enough fuel in the tube to start the flow going, and from there, it works just like a regular siphon, except you can still taste your sandwiches. I used a copper fitting and a glass marble so that it can't spark - just in case, you know? - since I'll primarily be using it for fueling, and petrol + sparks = bad times. The hose is petrol resistant plastic, and with the inner diameter of 19mm, it should give a flow rate of somewhere around 10 litres a minute under ideal conditions.

Post edited by Churba on
  • edited February 2013
    You went about it the smart way. Last time I had to siphon a tank my Chief just handed me a tube and said get to it. I had issues the rest of the day.
    Post edited by spikespiguel1 on
  • I have used a few other ways to siphon but Churba's way is definitely one of the simpler and better tasting of the bunch.
  • edited February 2013
    You went about it the smart way. Last time I had to siphon a tank my Chief just handed me a tube and said get to it. I had issues the rest of the day.
    I've done it that way too. Only a few times, though, I normally used the slow Thumb-block method of slowly pulling enough fuel up the hose to start the flow. But that's not quick enough when you have the chief breathing down your neck telling you to get that shit drained, so you gotta do what you gotta do. The old man actually has my older one, he uses it to fill the tanks on his boat.
    I have used a few other ways to siphon but Churba's way is definitely one of the simpler and better tasting of the bunch.
    Cheaper than a pump, simpler, and harder to break. Plus, I can just roll it up and keep it in my toolbox, rather than having to keep it separate. If you don't want to make one yourself - which isn't hard, and is definitely cheaper - then you can buy them from most auto or marine supply stores, or even just Amazon. If you have any reason to be transferring any liquid you don't want in your mouth at any point, I strongly recommend you get one.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Awwww, I didn't keep up with this thread so missed taking the piss out if Scott for his wheeled bag opinions.
  • edited February 2013
    Found a metal ice cube tray at Goodwill and then discovered a whole new world of internet crazy that, to begin with, I thought was someone who was not buying new plastic as an experiment but turned out to be some crazed zealot.

The ice cube tray is pretty boss, cracks out big ass cubes in no time.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited February 2013
    That looks awesome.

I found a little Japanese import store, and it turns out that imports are a lot cheaper here (Hawaii) than at home, because of how much less shipping costs are. Next year I think we're gonna day trip to Oahu, since there are bigger/better ones there. Today, I bought a cute Sailor Moon hat. It would be better without the logo, but I still bought it, so that shows how much I hold that against it.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Found a metal ice cube tray at Goodwill and then discovered a whole new world of internet crazy that, to begin with, I thought was someone who was not buying new plastic as an experiment but turned out to be some crazed zealot.

The ice cube tray is pretty boss, cracks out big ass cubes in no time.
    I do like those old school metal trays. Sometimes the old ways are the best ways.
  • Yeah no. Plastic ice trays take up less space and work just as well.
  • I prefer the ice maker...
  • I prefer the ice maker...
    Indeed. As do I.
  • Lots of beer for a ski trip to Vermont.

Ok. I'm not going skiing. Fuck that. I'm going drinking! While everyone else is on the slopes of Killington, I'll be checking out a few of the breweries in Vermont.
  • Sliding down the slopes your back pouring beer into your mouth
  • Here is an album of various things I've purchased or obtained at Emerald City Comic Con 2013. I'll add descriptions later.

http://imgur.com/a/ftpoo#0
  • Here is an album of various things I've purchased or obtained at Emerald City Comic Con 2013. I'll add descriptions later.

http://imgur.com/a/ftpoo#0
    Ro, the champion wallet emptier. I'm sure artists were thrilled when they saw you walking nearby.

Don't ever come to MoCCA Festival. You won't be able to afford the flight home.
  • Man, it was so rough. At the end of the day, I felt so defeated every time I cme upon a new booth of awesome art. The All Nighter comics were given to me by the creator. I was not expecting that. I also got a few free things here and there.

I wanted to purchase so much more.
  • Got my first tattoo at a tattoo convention, it's of the morph ball. I also picked up a stiletto on the cheap.
  • I bought a 40" LED TV off Woot the other day. It arrived today, and is ridiculously huge compared to the 20" I had before. It's almost comically large, like it should be coming out of a clown car or something.
  • Decided to take a trip downtown today and picked up a few things. At the local faux-pawn shop I picked up a Leatherman CS4 for $15 which is a steal since they're like $50 on amazon. It has a little wear and dirt but once I clean it up it'll look practically new.

I also picked up Ninja Turtles : Fall of the Foot Clan and Neo Contra at the local game store.

The other day at Tractor Supply company I got a sweet scary-looking machete and hammer multi tool thing.

And a wireless NES controller at the thrift shop. Haven't tested it yet though since I only have my FC twin up here.
  • I HAD THOSE CONTROLLERS.

They sucked, IIRC.
  • edited March 2013
    I HAD THOSE CONTROLLERS.

They sucked, IIRC.
    Can't say I'm surprised. Oh well, it was like a dollar. Most old wireless controllers seem to suck since a lot of them used IR so you had to point it at the receiver. The NES Satellite works well, but that's just a wireless multi-tap so that doesn't quite count.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • Born on the Fourth of July is an amazing movie and I was deeply moved by it. I have never seen Tom Cruise be so vulnerable and so human in a movie before seeing this one. Divorce anything you know of Tom Cruise (if possible) and just watch him slip into the role of Ron Kovic; a tortured, embittered Vietnam War veteran whose legs and lower body were stolen from him due to a catastrophic spinal injury. If you think you know Tom Cruise before watching this movie, you won't know him by the end; only the character will remain. This is a movie that is sometimes hard to watch because of the periodically heavy scenes that pop up every now and then. I cannot recommend it enough; it is immensely enjoyable and very stirring.
  • That movie was hilarious. Ms Kirkpatrick showed us it in Foreign Policy, and I could not stop laughing. When Cruise and whats-his-face were rolling around in circles in Mexico screaming at each other with swears without making sentences, I keeled over onto my desk in laughter. All his completely unrestrained unbased bursts of anger, his attitude working in the burger place -- it's like he wasn't even trying to live as a civilian, like he just wanted to be a poster boy for vets. I'm surprised Kovic didn't sue for slander.
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2013
    I dunno. I guess I'm more unaffected by melodrama more than most people. While I disagree with Daryl Surat on most of his views on movies, I agree with him when he says quote "...the way melodrama works is that you need to turn that dial all the way up to 10 or it'll be stupid" unquote. BotFoJ is melodramatic as hell and it is all the way at 10, because of which it was a great movie.

Also Kovics was not only on set, but he helped Cruise do the role. So almost everything you see was how he reacted at one point or another.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Three days ago, I bought the holiest of holy gaming grails to me: an original Super Famicom cartridge of Mother 2 for only 20,000 Korean Won. I am nowhere near my SNES now, but when I'm back in the States, there will be some serious playtime with this bad boy.
  • Three days ago, I bought the holiest of holy gaming grails to me: an original Super Famicom cartridge of Mother 2 for only 20,000 Korean Won. I am nowhere near my SNES now, but when I'm back in the States, there will be some serious playtime with this bad boy.
    Did you take the tabs out of the SNES or do you have a Super Famicom.

Did you take the tabs out of the SNES or do you have a Super Famicom.
    I took the tabs out of the one back at home, buuuuuut I'm considering buying a Super Famicom here. In Yongsan (a district of Seoul), there's a fairly large underground mall filled with retro and modern video games and consoles. I have seen many Famicoms and Super Famicoms there that I could purchase; however, convincing my wife that I would like to own one of each is the challenge.
  • This wasn't a huge purchase but I found a discounted Kaname Madoka schoolgirl figure at Naka-kon (our relatively local anime convention) this week. I also got a light-up Soul Gem from Puella Magi and a billfold with Konata from Lucky Star on it. I don't buy a lot of anime merchandise so I was pretty excited at my finds.
    I'm pondering aiming for either a Microsoft Surface Pro to use as a portable drawing device or a new TV and XBox 360 to compliment my "husband's". So, you know, I can actually play it.
  • I purchased a one handed reciprocating saw. Also bought a center island for my kitchen. What a difference it makes!
  • 10 bottles of Pepsi Throwback.