This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mobile Games

Comments

• edited March 2013
    RIDICULOUS FISHING IS RIDICULOUS
    DESCRIBE IT TO ME

I WANT TO LIVE VICARIOUSLY THROUGH YOUR PLAYING

Ok. It is one of those stupid addictive "games" where you do a thing, get money, buy upgrades, do the thing better, get more money, buy more upgrades. Just like Shopping Cart Hero or a zillion others.

However, here is what you do.

Tap the screen to cast your line into the sea.

Tilt the phone back and forth to make the lure dodge the fish as it descends. Eventually it will either hit a fish or reach its maximum (upgradeable) depth.

Then you start reeling it in. When you reel it in you tilt the phone back and forth to touch as many fish as possible. The bigger and more the better. Some fish are bad though, like jellyfish.

Then comes the ridiculousness. When the fish hit the waters surface they are all flung high up into the air in a big fish jumble. You proceed to unload on those flying fish with all manner of weaponry. You start with pistol. I upgraded to shotgun, and now uzi.

You get money for killing the fishes. Bigger = more money. When you get enough unique species in a given place, you unlock a new map location to get different species. Different map locations have deeper waters.

I assume that on the last map I drop a line 100 miles deep, pull up a kraken, and then fire a nuke at it when it hits the surface.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I JUST BOUGHT IT THIS FISHING IS SO RIDICULOUS
  • This sounds like a pretty good fishing game.
  • Ok. It is one of those stupid addictive "games" where you do a thing, get money, buy upgrades, do the thing better, get more money, buy more upgrades. Just like Shopping Cart Hero or a zillion others.
    Thanks for saving me $2.99.
  • edited March 2013
    75% of games are do a thing, buy more upgrades, rinse, repeat. Every RPG, almost every strategy game, most fps now, etc. I don't see why you would denounce a game just because of that. Even counterstrike is essentially shoot shit, buy more stuff, shoot more guys, ad infinitum.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Games that just this upgrade cycle without much mechanical skill or deep strategic thinking involved are just busywork games. Might as well grind some coffee instead.
  • It sounds like an ideal mobile "game" - play it while standing in line at a con or something.
  • edited March 2013
    Games that just this upgrade cycle without much mechanical skill or deep strategic thinking involved are just busywork games. Might as well grind some coffee instead.
    Exactly, that's why I'm saying you should judge the interactions and not the upgrade mechanics.
  • Oh please. If you've ever played Temple Run you know it's not the same. RPGs you're at least progressing in the world and story. Counter-strike items aren't cumulative. I'm tired of these iPhone games that use the Temple Run model where your score is only improved by way of grinding for upgrades that make the game easier. It would be like if you gave people who played 100 hours of CS an auto-aiming upgrade that they could use I in any match.
  • It's not the upgrades that are the problem, its the shitty gameplay.
  • edited March 2013
    The iOS/Android version of Magicka is supposedly being released tonight. 4 player cross platform coop.
    Post edited by johndis on
  • edited March 2013
    Betting it will crash and be laggy as fuck like the Steam version. :P

Edit: Also Ridiculous Fishing brings me smiles.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited March 2013
    Oh wait, nevermind, it looks like it was accidentally released and then pulled ahhaha. Well, it looks pretty cool either way. It's like battleheart w/ magicka casting mechanics as far as I can tell.
    Post edited by johndis on
  • edited March 2013
    I "beat" Ridiculous Fishing in so far as I saw the end credits. I will continue to fish ridiculously on occasion.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • It's pretty fun I feel like I've gotten 3 dollars of enjoyment out of it.
  • Kairosoft has a new game, Beastie Bay. Tropical islands and Pokemon. It's free this time and has an ad at the bottom.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id563831514
  • Kairosoft has a new game, Beastie Bay. Tropical islands and Pokemon. It's free this time and has an ad at the bottom.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id563831514
    It is on Android as well. It seems neat.
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2013
    I'm just waiting for Game Dev Story 2. No other Kairosoft game has come close to the quality of GDS. Many of them are very good, however.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I'm just waiting for Game Dev Story 2. No other Kairosoft game has come close to the quality of GDS. Many of them are very good, however.
    True, but Dungeon Village is pretty close.
  • edited April 2013
    I recently received an email from Trinket Studios that I won a free iOS copy of Color Sheep. Too bad I already purchased it at PAX.

I think I may just give it away or save it as a prize for something. It expires at the end of the week.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Oh hey that ios Magicka is out now and it's really good!!
    I've been looking into this as Magicka was coded in XNA, as was Bastion, but XNA restricts you to PC + XB3. There is a project called MonoGame which is designed to be a drop-in replacement for XNA in the same way Mono is designed to be fully compatible with .Net and runs on PC, Android, iOS, Linux, and Mac in addition to continuing support after XNA 4 which signalled the end of the project in 2010.

So Bastion and now Magicka have ported themselves to MonoGame to let them port to other systems. Google produced a fork of Mono that allows for the running of Bastion's actual binary sandboxed inside Chrome without much modification.
  • iOS Magicka is a different game entirely my dude
  • btw Microsoft is scrapping XNA which I think is a dumb idea, but their loss I suppose.
  • Wait, what? Why?
  • btw Microsoft is scrapping XNA which I think is a dumb idea, but their loss I suppose.
    Last year's news?
    It would be, but I have no Game Center friends :(

Protip: my handle is McGreddy. Y'all should totes add me.
  • edited April 2013
    btw Microsoft is scrapping XNA which I think is a dumb idea, but their loss I suppose.
    Last year's news?
    I knew about it for a while but I just thought it relevant to the conversation SCOTT JEEZE OMG WTFBBQ.

And at least one person didn't know.
    Wait, what? Why?
    I'm not really sure but I found this article about it.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/13/02/01/0245208/microsoft-phases-out-xna-and-directx
  • edited April 2013
    Badland (iOS, $4, No IAP and free level pack updates coming soon) is really high quality. A must-play, IMO.

http://www.badlandgame.com/
    Post edited by trogdor9 on