This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Return of the Kings - Daft Punk

Comments

• Don't get me wrong; It's not that it's bad. It's just that... I don't know, it doesn't feel like their best work. Its missing those important little details that would make a great song.

It's like handing in a great term paper, but not putting your name at the top or citing your references.
  • How about you guys wait for the entire album to be released?

Geez.
  • I feel the SNL ad was a tighter, more well constructed version of the melodic line. The Radio edit really comes in sub-par compared to the teaser.
  • To all of you jaded music people. You know how I'm always saying all your favorite games and TV shows and such are shit? Now the roles are reversed. The jaded is you.
  • edited April 2013
    To all of you jaded music people. You know how I'm always saying all your favorite games and TV shows and such are shit? Now the roles are reversed. The jaded is you.
    I don't stop myself from listening to bad music though :P

I guess that really only applies to games. I think you've admitted to watching bad anime and enjoying it.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I like this a lot. It's an order of magnitude better than anything on Human After All. I'll give it a few more listens before I rank it relative to anything from Homework/Discovery, though.
  • Here is my order: Alive 2007 > Discovery > Human After All > Tron = Homework.

This song reminds me of all the fun disco songs I grew up on and makes me feel good.
  • How about you guys wait for the entire album to be released?
    Geez.
    I'm just talking about this song. The rest of the album could be pure awesome.
    I feel the SNL ad was a tighter, more well constructed version of the melodic line. The Radio edit really comes in sub-par compared to the teaser.
    Exactly.
    To all of you jaded music people. You know how I'm always saying all your favorite games and TV shows and such are shit? Now the roles are reversed. The jaded is you.
    *Sigh* Yeah...
  • Having now listened to both Alive 2007 and Discovery, I don't get it. It's just generic trance music. Why are you people so gaga?
  • edited April 2013
    >Daft Punk
    >trance

The defense rests.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Having now listened to both Alive 2007 and Discovery, I don't get it. It's just generic trance music. Why are you people so gaga?
    Methinks you don't know what Trance is.
  • Dude, how can you even mistake that? Daft Punk are a house group - and pretty mainstream house at that.

• edited April 2013
    Having now listened to both Alive 2007 and Discovery, I don't get it. It's just generic trance music. Why are you people so gaga?
    Methinks you don't know what Trance is.
    I KNOW he doesn't know what Trance is. Let's help him out.

and

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited April 2013
    Objection, that first track is clearly acid house!

And that happy hardcore track is eurobeat, you would totally para para dance to that.
    Post edited by pence on
  • edited April 2013
    I know a few subgenres but I typically ignore a lot of the nitty gritty ones as you can see there is a shitload of them. But trance has more in common with techno then house.

Also I suspect you may just be trolling.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited April 2013
    OK people, anyone wanting to penis wag with their knowledge of electronic music go here first and make sure you don't embarrass yourself.

EDIT: Doh! just saw Scott's link to same. Comment stands though, get clicking!

EDIT2: I have a brother in law who can name and identify subsubgenres that are not even in Ishkur's guide. I get a usb stick full of selected musics from him every x-mas and it is my most cherished gift every year.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • That tree could be argued to be incorrect as well. There is a strong school of thought that Hip hop is lifestyle and not a genre of music. Some people say hip hop for rap and others will tell you that hip hop is rapping, bboy dancing, and graffiti painting.
  • It's better than trying to argue with someone on a matter of pure taste.
  • God dammit Greg. Look at what you've done. Look upon your work and cower in fear for judgement shall come upon you!
  • I'm a fan of this so don't think I'm a hater but this IS funny.

• edited April 2013
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • :( when I saw La Petit Mort posted "the shredded version," I was hoping for metal. Has anyone made that yet?
  • edited April 2013
    :( when I saw La Petit Mort posted "the shredded version," I was hoping for metal. Has anyone made that yet?
    I was also hoping for metal. I don't understand why this kind of thing is funny. It's the same as why I don't understand how the guys who yell pony songs are funny.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited April 2013
    It's the same as why I don't understand how the guys who yell pony songs are funny.
    I actually know Carlos (the guy who does that yelling thing). I asked him about it once over sushi and he just sorta shrugged.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • It's better than trying to argue with someone on a matter of pure taste.
    Arguing about anything other than matters of pure taste is a waste of time.
  • edited April 2013
    Oh hey I was wondering when a thread would kick off a discussion on electronic music in general. Thanks for some of those links!

I've always been a guy more happy with simple vocals and instrumentals (I'm chinese and played for a few years in my school's Chinese Orchestra so maybe thats where my pure instrumental preference came from), but the Pony Music created within the brony community really started to inject quite a bit of new electronic musical styles into my listening rotation, in fact I'd never even heard of Eurobeat before Eurobeat Brony's remixes.

I've always vaguely known of Daft Punk, but back then I've never really found the music to be compelling beyond certain classics from the Discovery Era, and even then, it was not something I found particularly clever, again coming from a more traditional background of string instruments like the chinese Erhu.

As I've grown older however, I've come to enjoy a much broader scope of music, and this Daft Punk album will be my first exposure to them in a while. Big thanks to Rym for featuring a pony version of Clash by Caravan Palace last year, Electro Swing is something I've really come to enjoy, and I hope this new Daft Punk album will be an eye opener as well.
    Post edited by lifecircle on
  • edited April 2013
    We have a general electronic music thread, search around for it.
    It's better than trying to argue with someone on a matter of pure taste.
    Arguing about anything other than matters of pure taste is a waste of time.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • While you're waiting for Random Access Memories, you can check out these 8-bit Daft Punk covers.
  • The live version sounds much better than the studio. The vocals have that extra bit of reverb needed to smooth out the hyper crisp-ness that the studio version had.