This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Games only Scott Likes

edited April 2013 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, an echo of our previous Games only Rym Likes episode, Scott discuses the games that he alone likes (or else that he feels are surprisingly forgotten). Before that, "always on consoles" and why Adam Orth was so wrong, Luke Crane and Thor Olavsrud's announcement of Torchbearer, and the Castle of Illusion remake.

Scott's Games:

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Fuck yeah, Yoshi's Cookie!
  • Is Faxanadu Actually Good, or He-Man Good?
  • edited April 2013
    I still remember tons of details from MechWarrior 2. I also somehow beat it legit on the Jade Falcon side with the max rank (so getting all three mechs on every trial).

I never finished Ghost Bear's Legacy because I was so dedicated to doing the same there and it stopped me at some point. I still remember the 72nd Assault Trinary. Those are my boys.

And little ninja brothers! I so forgot about that.

And Kung fu Heroes. I owned that. Always tried to play it with my younger brother Jeff but he was terrible. I made it really really far at some point, but never beat it. I did beat bubble bobble at some point which served a similar purpose for me.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • I like Yoshi's Cookie. I haven't played it as much as I should have, but what I've played has been enjoyable.
  • edited April 2013
    Chrono Jigga is fantastic. Especially Ignorant Song.

It's a good thing you clarified that Wayne Gretzky Hockey on N64 is good; otherwise, we would have to have words.
    Post edited by pence on
  • MechWarrior 2 was good. MechWarrior 3 was awesome.
  • edited April 2013
    Your surprise that Forbes had a story about a tabletop RPG is not unexpected. The internet has been slow to pick up on the fact that over a year ago, Forbes completely flipped their business model and became a content farm, aka a blogger sweatshop. It's completely unexpected because their name still holds some amount of prestige.

They are basically about.com now. They will let anybody write for them, pay them little to nothing up front with the promise of traffic-based incentives, and do little to no editing or screening of what gets posted. Some good writing can and does pop up on the site, but it's like a flower growing in a landfill.

There was a hilarious controversy a few months back where the writer you mentioned, Erik Kain, wrote a post about an old unreleased SNES game that had a Kickstarter project to finally produce it in cartridge form for $60. Kain wrote an awful post fully of errors about the game's history, and his thesis was that people are stupid for paying $60 for an SNES game that doesn't have good graphics like today's games, the publisher is idiotic for charging that much, and if people really want to play it, they should just pirate it. Oh, and here are the links to allow you to do so.

He got his ass called to the carpet by about every video game writer who actually knows how to do his job. Then he publicly stated he did not even understand the situation he wrote about. Finally, he updated his post to remove the links and added a plea to his readers for legal help in untangling the situation.

On a more positive note, Mario Kart Super Circuit is the shit. Not ashamed to say it was the first Mario Kart I actually owned, rather than just renting a ton or playing at friend's houses.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Yoshi's Cookie
    Kung Fu Heroes
    Wario Land 2
    Mario Kart Super Circuit
    Dynamite Headdy

Games I have played that Scott and I both like.
  • I really enjoyed descent back in the day, but it was hard as fuck for me. It wasn't until years later that I discovered there were strafe keys. My 14 yr old mind = blown.
  • I really enjoyed descent back in the day, but it was hard as fuck for me. It wasn't until years later that I discovered there were strafe keys. My 14 yr old mind = blown.
    Descent let you

strafe up/down/left/right
    jet forward
    afterburn forward
    jet reverse
    Pitch/yaw both directions
    spin left, spin right

The best control scheme is to use a joystick with separate throttle like those made by Saitek.

When I was a kid I was stupid and used a keyboard-only scheme that did not work.

Now I know the optimal scheme for mouse/keyboard

Use the mouse for pitch/yaw. This is like mouselook

Use e for forward, d for reverse, s/f for strafe left/right. Just like an FPS with esdf instead of wasd.

Put spin/left/right on w/r

Put strafe up on the spacebar, like jump!

Put strafe down wherever you usually put crouch.

Put afterburner on your mouse or on a or q or something like that.
  • Does Descent prevent you from using shift? Because if shift is allowed I would probably do that with wasd instead of esdf and shift for afterburner.
  • edited April 2013
    Does Descent prevent you from using shift? Because if shift is allowed I would probably do that with wasd instead of esdf and shift for afterburner.
    Yeah, go for it.

Another thing to watch out for is that in Descent you can cycle the primary and secondary weapons. That means if you set mousewheel to cycle primary, how do you cycle secondary? I use mousewheel up to cycle the primary weapon up and mousewheel down to cycle the secondary weapon up. It might take a few clicks to get all the way around to the weapon I want, since I can only cycle in one direction, but it's better than cycling one weapon on mouse and another on keyboard.

Obviously mouse1 = primary weapon, mouse2 = secondary.

There are also some other buttons you need like firing flares, etc. to watch out for.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • It has similar complexity requirements to TIE Fighter in terms of how many things need to be bound to useful keys.
  • I haven't played Descent in years... I should see if I can dig up a copy. I happen to already own a joystick with separate throttle as I'm a bit of a flight simulator geek, so I got that covered at least.
  • Your surprise that Forbes had a story about a tabletop RPG is not unexpected. The internet has been slow to pick up on the fact that over a year ago, Forbes completely flipped their business model and became a content farm, aka a blogger sweatshop...
    Interesting. I've basically ignored changes in that industry for several years now, since I consume everything through aggregators anyway.
  • I haven't played Descent in years... I should see if I can dig up a copy. I happen to already own a joystick with separate throttle as I'm a bit of a flight simulator geek, so I got that covered at least.
    gog.com.
  • I figured gog.com would have it... I'm just hesitant to buy it right now mostly because I don't have much time for gaming with a new baby... Maybe when he gets a better sleeping schedule in a month or so. :)
  • I figured gog.com would have it... I'm just hesitant to buy it right now mostly because I don't have much time for gaming with a new baby... Maybe when he gets a better sleeping schedule in a month or so. :)
    Let the baby watch you play. Then it won't have motion sickness later in life, so you can take it flying.
  • edited April 2013
    Man, Shogo was actually a pretty fun game. Whatever happened to that studio?

EDIT: Oh, right. They then went on to make NOLF (and NOLF 2, the best spy game), then made FEAR (which was ok), Condemned ( :-/ ), and The Matrix Online ( D: ).

Apparently nobody knows who owns the NOLF rights now. I has a sad.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Man, Shogo was actually a pretty fun game. Whatever happened to that studio?
    They made the F.E.A.R. series.
  • Man, Shogo was actually a pretty fun game. Whatever happened to that studio?
    They made the F.E.A.R. series.
    Not all of them. They made F.E.A.R 1 and 2, but not the expansions for the first, they did the DLC for the second, and weren't involved in 3.

They also Made GORKY 17, TRON 2.0, and the execrable COD-clone-with-a-licenced-paintjob Gotham City Imposters.
    Let the baby watch you play. Then it won't have motion sickness later in life, so you can take it flying.
    Kinda hard to play when I have to use my entire arm to hold him. :) When he is old enough to at least sit up in my lap while watching me play, then maybe. The kid's only a month old and can't even hold his own head yet, after all.
  • Let the baby watch you play. Then it won't have motion sickness later in life, so you can take it flying.
    I do not think you understand how this works. Max refuses to just sit back and watch me play, whether it's PC or console gaming. The second there is a keyboard or mouse in range it MUST be his at that very moment! Same goes for controllers. I can't even tell you how many times he's killed me in any game I try to play, and he's been doing that since he can flail his arms and lunge all over the place. The only game he cooperates with me in is Tropico, and I think it's because he loves watching my people run around in fear of him "accidentally" executing them.
  • edited April 2013
    I do not think you understand how this works. Max refuses to just sit back and watch me play, whether it's PC or console gaming. The second there is a keyboard or mouse in range it MUST be his at that very moment! Same goes for controllers. I can't even tell you how many times he's killed me in any game I try to play, and he's been doing that since he can flail his arms and lunge all over the place. The only game he cooperates with me in is Tropico, and I think it's because he loves watching my people run around in fear of him "accidentally" executing them.
    I see you are raising a tyrannical control freak bent on world domination.

Well done.

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Hey Scott, what is the name of your Youtube channel? I want to watch those Netrunner games.
  • Apreche = ALWAYS SCOTT RUBIN

• Let the baby watch you play. Then it won't have motion sickness later in life, so you can take it flying.
    Already a player! Motion sickness will not be a problem. I would worry less about being killed by interference and more about the student eventually surpassing the master.

• I'm going to have to surprise a friend of mine back home with Kung Fu Heroes and Litte Ninja Brothers next time I visit, as we've only played Super Ninja Boy together. Super Ninja Boy is one of those games where I'll show up at his house after christmas dinner when I'm home for the holidays and play until early the next morning.

If I made a list like this one, I gotta say I would add Kirby's Dream Course, which I feel is one of the more important under-cited-yet-great games out there.

Another thing - I don't know why these would be Games only Scott likes. These are arguably all A+ games. Maybe more apt would be Games only Scott remembers off-hand...?
  • OK, after watching it... I may have actually beat kung fu heroes, but I didn't realize it just repeated indefinitely like bubble bobble.
  • Got Wario Land II on the 3DS Virtual Console on Scott's recommendation. Having fun so far! I like the satisfaction of breaking through walls. Smash-y smash-y. :D