This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Games only Scott Likes

2»

Comments

• Got Wario Land II on the 3DS Virtual Console on Scott's recommendation. Having fun so far! I like the satisfaction of breaking through walls. Smash-y smash-y. :D
    Defeat the giant spearman!
  • On the topic of always on DRM, if it is widely implemented on the consoles I'll probably just say fuck it and put my money into a new PC instead. Hell, it might make me buy a Wii-U sooner assuming they don't end up doing the same thing there. Its not even that much about the internet going out. Their server outages would be annoying but I'm even more worried about what would happen during the next console cycle when they take the servers down. Would I just have a whole collection of games that I could either never play again or have to re-buy?
  • edited April 2013
    On the topic of always on DRM...
    Where I am currently, Internet is not exactly 'stable'. Sure, I have about 15Mb/s of bandwidth average, but just now I spend 3 minutes with no connection whatsoever.
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • On the topic of always on DRM...
    Where I am currently, Internet is not exactly 'stable'. Sure, I have about 15Mb/s of bandwidth average, but just now I spend 3 minutes with no connection whatsoever.
    Same here. Copper infrastructure that's way out of date, mixed with rain and hardware deterioration, means I end up with a shaky connection every time it rains, or we start getting a cold enough snap for condensation to form.

• On the topic of always on DRM, if it is widely implemented on the consoles I'll probably just say fuck it and put my money into a new PC instead. Hell, it might make me buy a Wii-U sooner assuming they don't end up doing the same thing there. Its not even that much about the internet going out. Their server outages would be annoying but I'm even more worried about what would happen during the next console cycle when they take the servers down. Would I just have a whole collection of games that I could either never play again or have to re-buy?
    That's kind of the direction I'm going with too. Most of the newer console games don't do much for me and I can play older games via emulation on a PC anyway. My PS3 is mostly used as a Netflix box these days, for example. Even on the PC, there are tons of great old games via GoG.com I can get if all the newer games go with insane DRM stuff.

I'll still want to have top-of-the-line hardware for my flight simming hobby, even if the other games I play are pretty old. Fortunately, the only DRM in my preferred simulator, X-Plane, is checking if you have the physical DVD installed in the system before letting you run it and even that is trivial to bypass.