This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

XBox One Eighty

Comments

• Come join us all in the PC Super race. It's great here.
    No thanks, I prefer the superior graphics, framerate, and control accuracy of console gaming.
  • Come join us all in the PC Super race. It's great here.
    No thanks, I prefer the superior graphics, framerate, and control accuracy of console gaming.

• No thanks, I prefer the superior graphics, framerate, and control accuracy of console gaming.
  • Well I guess it looks like I'll be getting a Wii U next, when there are games for it.
  • Well I guess it looks like I'll be getting a Wii U next, when there are games for it.
    Is there even ONE Wii U game that is for real yet? Zelda has to come eventually...
  • I don't even own a PS3, but I'm looking forward to playing Last of Us, 2 Souls, Destiny and GTA 5.

Rockstar, Naughty Dog and Quantic Dream all three are amazing game studios.
  • Earthbound Wii U :-p (Fing why couldn't they put that on the 3DS :-p)
  • There's a Monster Hunter on the Wii U, which is enough for Japanese sales at least.
  • (Fing why couldn't they put that on the 3DS :-p)
    Right?? It's way silly the way they're limiting the 3DS virtual console to only handheld games, and I guess 3D remakes of very few NES/SNES games. Pokemon spoiled me from an early age, it's a chore for me to play RPGs on anything but a handheld.
    Is there even ONE Wii U game that is for real yet? Zelda has to come eventually...
    Other than New Super Mario Bro's U, not really. There are some decent ones but none worth buying the console for and I could count them all on one hand.

Other than New Super Mario Bro's U, not really. There are some decent ones but none worth buying the console for and I could count them all on one hand.

Looks like the next one coming out is Super Luigi Bros. U. It's really really sad. GameCube at least had a Luigi's Mansion and a Smash Bros at launch. Wii U has NOTHING.
  • Last of Us actually looks kind of interesting. I think I might try it out at PAX once it's released.
  • I've stopped counting New Super Mario Bros games as new games. Since the first two they're pretty much all the same.
  • I have New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but I never finished it because there's no reliable co-op. The portable ones are at least single player, so I can beat them properly. Don't care about the Wii ones.
  • NSMB2 has co-op, actually.
  • This looks bloated and overpriced.
  • I always think NSMB is this:
  • I always think NSMB is this:
    Truth.

• edited May 2013
    Wii U games:

- New Super Mario Bros U shines as a single player, not 4-player. Not worth waiting around for 4-player co-op like the Wii one was. This is a really, really, really good Mario game. DO NOT write it off.
    - Nintendoland has given me many, many hours of enjoyment with 5-player groups. We still play it. I bought the system because I reliably have 5-person groups at my house.
    - ZombiU was a solid B+ game. Not a system seller but absolutely worth playing if you have access to a Wii U
    - Sonic Racing All-Stars 2 is top-notch as far as kart racing is concerned, and Wii U is probably the best console to play it on.

All of those games were available at launch, and that's all that's worth playing. Pretty sad really.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • So we've talked about how terrible "Xbox One" is as a name, right? Well, I have a better one:

Xbox 8.

The new xbox is based on Windows 8, has 8 cores, 8 gigs of ram. It fits. (Credit for this idea belongs to Aria).
  • If it properly integrates with my U-Verse service and provides DVR capabilities, I'll buy one on the first day. I already use my 360 primarily as an STB and I swap between that and my U-Verse box. Not having to swap would be a nice convenience, and the upgraded hardware would be icing. Games are nice, but secondary.

There's a lot to be said for an appliance that just works out of the box for those of us who don't want the endless hobby of tuning and fixing an HTPC that never quite works right, is full of glitches, and requires a couple weekends of work and a few extra hundred dollars if you want to record multiple simultaneous HD streams, etc.

There's nothing sexier to me in a product in my advanced age than to be able to unbox it, plug it in, and just use it without ever thinking about it again. HTPCs do not give that experience.
  • There's a lot to be said for an appliance that just works out of the box for those of us who don't want the endless hobby of tuning and fixing an HTPC that never quite works right, is full of glitches, and requires a couple weekends of work and a few extra hundred dollars if you want to record multiple simultaneous HD streams, etc.
    It works out of the box, as long as it can regonize your voice and you have perfect lighting and distance for Kinect that you probably have to calibrate to even see you.

There are so many parts in that whole Kinect + Voice commands part that I don't trust and it seemed to be among their main selling points for the system.

• You can always just use a controller. I doubt seriously that they'll make voice and Kinect the ONLY interface to the thing. It's a gimmick to drive sales, primarily.

I had a Kinect on my 360 for about 3 weeks before I sold it. I'm fine using my Harmony remote or a game controller like I do now, and I'd be extremely surprised if those options are removed in the XBOX One.
  • There's a lot to be said for an appliance that just works out of the box for those of us who don't want the endless hobby of tuning and fixing an HTPC that never quite works right, is full of glitches, and requires a couple weekends of work and a few extra hundred dollars if you want to record multiple simultaneous HD streams, etc.
    False assumption. I bought my HTPC from parts on Newegg. I built it in an hour. I installed Windows, VLC, emulators, iTunes, etc. I have never spent even one minute tweaking it or fixing glitches. It's just a computer. It has worked without flaw for years.
  • You got the uverse option? Damn, I wanted to use my 360 as an STB but they discontinued the offering.
  • Steve no mine doesn't do uverse I have to swap.

Scott, either you're the luckiest HTPC owner I've ever heard of, or the state of the technology has changed HUGELY in 18 months. How many 1080p streams can you record? I've got 4 users to record for throughout the day.
  • Steve no mine doesn't do uverse I have to swap.

Scott, either you're the luckiest HTPC owner I've ever heard of, or the state of the technology has changed HUGELY in 18 months. How many 1080p streams can you record? I've got 4 users to record for throughout the day.
    I do not record anything. If I want to watch something I use Netflix or BitTorrent. The point of an HTPC is you cancel your cable. If I want to watch sports I find a legal or illegal stream. There has not been one single thing I have wanted to watch that I have not been able to watch due to lack of cable.

That being said, if I wanted to also make my HTPC a DVR, I could do that trivially with XBMC.