This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

XBox One Eighty

Comments

• I'd watch any reality show with Scott on it.
    Your loss. 80% of the time watching a person sit, sit, and sit some more. I guess it could be about sitting.
  • edited May 2013
    This is what happens when you get married and your technology purchases have to reflect your family's tastes, who might not all be geeks. LOL.
    This
    Sounds like your major problem. It is also a problem that Scott can not fix.
    Don't be so sure. I have full faith that enough time with Scott would drive a married geek/non-geek couple to divorce.
    Sounds like a premise for a reality tv show: Get my non geek spouse to divorce me!
    I just want a reality show where Scott tells people about all the things they do that suck. Marriage could be one episode. We could call it "You're Doing it Wrong." Somebody start working up a spec script.

Actually, that's not too bad. I could to technology nightmares. I go and follow a person around for a day or two to see what technology they are using, how they use it, and what problems they have. Then I fix/replace all their shit with something that saves them money, time, frustration, and meets all of their use cases. Then I come back months later to see how they fucked it all up by buying shit they don't need and installing malwares on the Windows PCs.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • In my case, I'd keep my HTPC as a companion to my DVR. It would basically replace my PS3 as my Netflix/Amazon Prime/etc. streaming box while having far more capabilities than the PS3 did. When the time is right for me to cancel cable TV entirely (basically, when I can get everything I or my wife wants on cable via the internet without cable), then I'll complete cutting the cord.
  • Aren't geeks supposed to be more tolerant, not less? My wife and I complement each other very very well despite the fact that she's 99.9% not geeky. :-)
  • I actually still use my XBox for Netflix because PC Netflix doesn't surround sound. I'll stop doing that once my XBLG expires. Not worth paying for. I can survive with stereo sound.
  • Aren't geeks supposed to be more tolerant, not less? My wife and I complement each other very very well despite the fact that she's 99.9% not geeky. :-)
    Yes, geeks are very tolerant. But if I'm going to spend my entire life with someone, I would hope that there would be many things we could enjoy together. The vast majority of my time is spent on geekeries. If I'm in a relationship with someone, I'm not going to spend very much time with them if they don't want to participate in at least some of those geekeries.
    Your loss. 80% of the time watching a person sit, sit, and sit some more. I guess it could be about sitting.
    Oh, you underestimate just how entertaining you can be, man. I can only imagine how much better that would be with reality TV-style editing.

• Wow, this thread got super boring, super fast.
  • Well it definitely is now.
  • It's all Scott's fault.
  • I'm just gonna put this here...

• I have to sit at work still for 3-4 more hours before going to Anime Boston. Gotta grab on to whatever Internets I can, no matter how thin.
  • edited May 2013
    This is what happens when you get married and your technology purchases have to reflect your family's tastes, who might not all be geeks. LOL.
    This
    Sounds like your major problem. It is also a problem that Scott can not fix.
    Don't be so sure. I have full faith that enough time with Scott would drive a married geek/non-geek couple to divorce.
    Sounds like a premise for a reality tv show: Get my non geek spouse to divorce me!
    I just want a reality show where Scott tells people about all the things they do that suck. Marriage could be one episode. We could call it "You're Doing it Wrong." Somebody start working up a spec script.

Actually, that's not too bad. I could to technology nightmares. I go and follow a person around for a day or two to see what technology they are using, how they use it, and what problems they have. Then I fix/replace all their shit with something that saves them money, time, frustration, and meets all of their use cases. Then I come back months later to see how they fucked it all up by buying shit they don't need and installing malwares on the Windows PCs.
    I will be having this conversation with my wife later today. Although the violent death of almost tech-related television aimed above the bro gamer crowd can almost definitely confirm the target audience would only watch this if it was a web show on something like Blip.tv or a nerdy Youtube channel.

Post edited by Matt on
    Wrong. They'll take the 20% where you're not sitting, leave 18 out of that 20% on the "cutting room floor" and just take what's left to turn you into a monster.
  • Scott is more Sesame street monster than pedobear monster. It will be alright.
  • I could also see a version where he's edited into the tech world's "Gordon Ramsey".
  • finally remembered to turn off the auto renewal on my Gold membership.
  • I think the "Scott Show" could gain a following on HGTV. He walks in to the broken tech house, acts like he walked into the dark ages and then transforms the house into a tech marvel .
  • edited May 2013
    He'd have to have someone pushing against him like some of the home improvement shows on the air now. He's pushing for the perfect setup and money is no concern, and his counterpart would need to keep it in budget and simple enough for the techno troglodytes who own the home to use.

Edit: And of course there would need to be families who fight tooth and nail against being forced into the 21st century.
    Post edited by Mycroft000 on
  • That would be where his "college roomie" Rym comes in and keeps him from spending massive amounts of money and installing tech that is too complicated for the client.
  • edited May 2013
    I think half this forum including myself, Rym, and Scott should all be on this King of the Nerds show fighting it out first. (In the end, Ro wins.)
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • edited May 2013
    The Scott Show sounds pretty great. Would watch.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • We'd have to find people who have their cables stapled to the walls, and network cables running down the hallway to their office, their wireless is just plugged in with default network name and completely open for anyone to use.

Get Scott's reactions to all of it.
  • I think half this forum including myself, Rym, and Scott should all be on this King of the Nerds show fighting it out first. (In the end, Ro wins.)
    YES!
  • We would also need to have an episode where the young single professional has an instant crush on Scott that he never notices.

Or we could go in the other direction and be like the fish tank show where people throw money at him to design a special hi-tech system for their home.
  • No, Scott walking into a technological disaster area would be far more entertaining. Maybe after the first season we can do a spinoff where he builds the ultimate automated homes for the wealthy.
  • Scott's Rubin's Living Room Nightmares?
  • edited May 2013
    No, Scott walking into a technological disaster area would be far more entertaining. Maybe after the first season we can do a spinoff where he builds the ultimate automated homes for the wealthy.
    I can imagine him loudly grumbling while sorting through a rat's nest of cables behind someones home entertainment system.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I'm pretty sure the title for this show was invented long before I joined this forum and it was simply "Scott World".