This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What do you wish more people understood?

13»

Comments

• That we are all big meat sacks with expiration dates.
    Most of us pass our "best by" date long before our expiration date.
    I'm already past my best by. :P
    I'm already past my best by. :P
    Are you steeply discounted?
  • When committing suicide, you're not supposed to slit your wrists horizontally. You gotta go from your forearm to your wrists.

If you go horizontally your not gonna bleed as quickly. Also if you survive (which you likely will because you failed at suicide) your going to have damaged your tendons. And you won't be able to slit both wrists because you cut the tendons on your first hand.
    Wow. I hope that doesn't trigger anyone.
  • edited September 2013
    I read goons_txt for like an hour today and damned if that post wouldn't fit right in.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Ergh, that's unpleasant. It's been a good long time since I've wanted to kill myself, but descriptions of it still get way under my skin. Hell, any contact with guns or razor blades sets something ugly off in the back of my mind.
  • For me, it's just shotguns. Not even because I ever tried or thought about offing myself with them (I'm not rightly sure where or how I'd get a gun if I wanted one), but because my strongest association with suicide is Hunter S Thompson, and that was his MO.
  • I didn't mean to start a debate or argument about health care records. My response was entirely down to the "save everyone billions" point from Ro. She works with health care records all the time, probably, so a centralized system would probably save her loads of time and the veterans benefits loads of money. It's understandable what she wants others to understand. In the real world, combining many different existing databases into a single system is never easy, and if possible often prohibitively expensive.
    I quoted this one because it was the last one to refer to the issue, but I'd go with a subdermal implant, if it means having all my medical data on myself, I'd be down for it.

Now, I wished people would understand that design costs, it's not easy, and no, your cousin that learned Photoshop 2 days ago can't really do what I do. No I will not get paid in full when I deliver the final designs, you will pay half upfront, 1/4 with the mockups and the remaining 1/4 with the final delivery. No, having a small credit text on your site won't give me recognition, if I wanted to work on portfolio stuff, I'd do work for an NGO.

I could go on, but you get the idea.
  • For me, it's just shotguns. Not even because I ever tried or thought about offing myself with them (I'm not rightly sure where or how I'd get a gun if I wanted one), but because my strongest association with suicide is Hunter S Thompson, and that was his MO.
    For me it's lethal injections because that's how I euthanase patients on a regular basis and is super easy, I have access to all the drugs, very hard to fuck up if you know what you're doing plus my veins are huge compared to a cat in renal failure.

My University class mate from New York did it successfully last year leaving behind his wife and 4 year old child.
  • edited September 2013
    I dunno. I think if I ever got to the point where I was going to top myself, not just close but razor in my hand here-we-go, I'd probably just say "Fuck it", find some particularly dangerous place in the world and do humanitarian work or something. What's the worst that could happen? I accidentally don't die and improve the joint a bit?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I dunno. I think if I ever got to the point where I was going to top myself, not just close but razor in my hand here-we-go, I'd probably just say "Fuck it", find some particularly dangerous place in the world and do humanitarian work or something. What's the worst that could happen? I accidentally don't die and improve the joint a bit?
    I would say that when you're suicidal your brain isn't working that well, but I don't actually know. The only time I've been at razor in my hand here-we-go was in the hospital, where I obviously could do neither.
  • edited September 2013
    I don't know either. I know it's an odd thing. I mean, you'd think that once you're committed, you're committed, but a friend of mine was ready to go, barrel in his mouth, he'd been cleaning his rifle, and he just reassembled it, loaded it, stuck the barrel in his mouth and thumb on the trigger - and he had this fleeting thought which was, and I quote, "Huh, that tastes really weird" which gave him that tiny pause, immediately after which he went into "Oh shit what the fuck am I doing jesus christ" mode, unloaded, broke down his rifle, took out the firing pin and came over to my place to talk about it. Left the pin with me - just in case - and it was decided that it was time for him to get help for it.

By sheer coincidence, Freakanomics has a really good show on it called "The suicide Paradox." I think you'd be interested.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I dunno. I think if I ever got to the point where I was going to top myself, not just close but razor in my hand here-we-go, I'd probably just say "Fuck it", find some particularly dangerous place in the world and do humanitarian work or something. What's the worst that could happen? I accidentally don't die and improve the joint a bit?
    The problem is that you don't usually get committed. It usually isn't something where you decide it and start planning it and know you are definitely going to do it. Suicidal is a really good word for it; it isn't a plan, it's a tendency. It's a lurching, often spontaneous process that different people handle in very different ways.

In my young teens, I used to write notes without really knowing what I was doing, almost unrelated to the rest of the process. Had I actually killed myself, any one of them would have turned up as my "suicide note", and quite a lot were phrased in the classic structure, but they were... almost like tests. Trying on the mindset, kind of. What's really messed up is when I was at my absolute worst, I stopped writing notes because I figured it wouldn't even matter.

It's sort of freaky, looking back of it, that literately the only reason I survived being fifteen was because the opportunity wasn't there, because I didn't have access to firearms, because I didn't have a way to do it quickly and conveniently. And I wouldn't have even thought about it. It never would have been planned, I don't think I'd really know on a conscious level what I was doing. I would've woken up in the night, glanced at myself in the mirror, and pulled the trigger out of sheer revulsion, and that would be that.

The thing is, it wouldn't have been an escape from some horrid part of life or whatever. I think that's the case with most people; most folks seem to be able to face external adversity itself. If it's just your conditions that are miserable and you have a gun, you tun it outward. You aren't escaping from the world when you commit suicide, you are escaping from yourself.
  • find some particularly dangerous place in the world
    But you're already in Australia! Unless of course you find it very dangerous to be right-side-up.
  • If someone says something on a privately owned website, and it is removed by the owners, it is not an act of censorship.
  • When a lot of people want to commit suicide, it's because they feel they can't make a good contribution to society. They literally have reached a point where they feel the only thing they contribute to the world is negative and taking away goodness. They feel they are unable to ever do anything right that will be worth anything.
    Wow. I hope that doesn't trigger anyone.
    Hell, I'm triggered.
  • Shit, reading thus brought up a lot of memories... Several times as a child (earliest around 7 or 8 years old) I tried to hang myself, but gave up because it was too painful or I couldn't find a strong enough rope or string. I've tried to slit my throat before, but was physically unable to, which was a very strange experience. Too many times I've had to lock pistols up in the car to stop myself from looking at them and deciding that "it's time." The most fucked up part about it all is that I have very little reason to be suicidal or even depressed, but I have been as long as I can remember.
  • The hierarchy of Constitutional power (laws).

Prohibition was an amendment and had to be overturned via the same process that created it. It could not be overturned by an act of law.

If activists for an issue want to change something about the US government/Constitution they need to understand that the same level of authority that grants them what they desire is also the same level required to reverse that granting.
  • edited September 2013
    I could hear John C Calhoun rolling over in his grave as I read that post.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • I could hear John C Calhoun rolling over in his grave as I read that post.
    Because of his views on states rights and nullification?
  • I could hear John C Calhoun rolling over in his grave as I read that post.
    Because of his views on states rights and nullification?
    Yep. I'm just imagining him trying to argue with you.
  • Nullification was weird even in Calhoun's time. For something to even become a federal law it must be approved by the House and Senate and be signed by the President.

While it is possible that the majority in Congress that passes the bill may represent a minority of Americans (due to House districting and the Senate due to population counts) it will always represent a majority of states because each gets two Senators. Unless it is a complete tie and the VP votes in favor of it.

Even if the Feds are usurping powers that they do not have they are doing it with the approval (?) Of the people. Except in cases where there are huge national protests and the like.

So, yeah... The time for nullification is probably best when a bill is in the Senate. Or was... Back then the state government sent in Senators. Today senators are not beholden to their states the way they once were.