This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Government Shutdown

Comments

• Now I must be going really crazy. When I say I don't understand why she was shot in the head, it's not as though I think she should have been shot in the chest. Not even that she should have been shot in the leg.

My disbelief revolves around her being shot at all. Do police not carry batons? Pepper spray? Tasers? Just guns? When all you have is a gun, every suspect looks like a firing range target.

• My disbelief revolves around her being shot at all. Do police not carry batons? Pepper spray? Tasers? Just guns? When all you have is a gun, every suspect looks like a firing range target.
    That's the thing - apparently, they DO have tazers, and batons. And hell, it's a person just been in a car accident cruising around probably concussed who isn't visibly armed, and tackle them to the floor?

• That's the thing - apparently, they DO have tazers, and batons. And hell, it's a person just been in a car accident cruising around probably concussed who isn't visibly armed, and tackle them to the floor?
    Or, you know, just follow her until she runs out of steam? I have been to DC and you can't shake a stick without hitting a law enforcement officer (bad analogy). There are like two dozen whole law enforcement agencies operating in and around the White House / Capitol area.
  • Now I'm just imaginging a ring of cops just linking hands and not touching her, but forming a ring around her, and just following her that way, singing ring-a-ring-a-rosie. If you can't shoot 'em, confuse the shit out of 'em.
  • I have been watching some of the footage. Why was her vehicle reported as an SUV? Is SUV the new glock/ak47 when the media reports on vehicles?
  • I'm not arguing that she should have been shot in the chest, I'm only saying that she was shot in the head, against standard police policy as far as I know, seems to imply that it was done out of anger and not necessity in the first place.
  • It's not unheard of for cops to have shit aim.

• There's definitely still a lot missing in the reports.

One thing I read is that she reached speeds of 80mph during the chase, and we're not talking about a highway. Considering it would be pretty easy for her to kill someone, even by accident at that speed, wouldn't that alone justify deadly force to stop her?
  • To me, the SHOOTING seems to imply the shooting was done either out of anger or bad training, regardless of the final wound. America isn't scary because of the guns, it's scary because of the blithe acceptance of guns.

• There's definitely still a lot missing in the reports.

One thing I read is that she reached speeds of 80mph during the chase, and we're not talking about a highway. Considering it would be pretty easy for her to kill someone, even by accident at that speed, wouldn't that alone justify deadly force to stop her?
    They used deadly force after her car had come to a stop. At that point, is shooting her in the head the best way to stop her from hypothetically killing other people in the future? Should EVERYONE who might kill someone by driving too fast in the future be shot in the head? It's like the Bush doctrine in a weirdly small scale.
  • To me, the SHOOTING seems to imply the shooting was done either out of anger or bad training, regardless of the final wound. America isn't scary because of the guns, it's scary because of the blithe acceptance of guns.
    I absolutely agree with this, but I still think the location of the shot makes it more damning, in light of that acceptance. Maybe you have to be a warped American to understand. :)
  • Due to the "everyone should feel the pain" goal of the (Democrats?) Public opinion appears to be shifting and this is becoming Obama's shutdown.
  • I was watching Fox news while running for a bit, and I wouldn't be surprised if Republicans started to toe the republican line more then they have been. It's actually bizarro world over there right now.
  • It's important to note Clinton's approval rates fell dramatically during the shutdown but when it resolved his approval rates were at all time highs.
  • Due to the "everyone should feel the pain" goal of the (Democrats?) Public opinion appears to be shifting and this is becoming Obama's shutdown.
    It seemed bound to backfire to me. It seemed extremely disingenuous.
    It seemed bound to backfire to me. It seemed extremely disingenuous.
    While I can understand the strategy behind the idea the actual tacticle methods used to implement the strategy have been extremely obvious and counterproductive. It's one thing to say, "sorry but due to budget problems we have to closed this staffed location to the public." It is quite another to say," since the staffed locations have been closed we will close every single location we possibly can and even expend more man power to keep these places close than we ever spent keeping them open."

Same goes for websites that went dark in time with the shutdown. I would expect any part of a website that requires a staffer to go dark but otherwise I expect to see a site with no updates since the beginning of the shutdown. Redirecting to a childish shutdown splash page required effort.
  • It requires less effort than maintaining enough servers to handle a non-static web page. These aren't servers that can keep running without oversight.
  • edited October 2013
    It requires less effort than maintaining enough servers to handle a non-static web page. These aren't servers that can keep running without oversight.
    Then image them before the shutdown and let the public see them degrade in real time.

Same goes for the open air monuments and the national mall. Rather than close just focus on the impact of all those visitors and no people working to clean up.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • edited October 2013
    And waste hundreds of thousands of dollars' worth of very expensive server equipment through avoidable failures?
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • And waste hundreds of thousands of dollars' worth of very expensive server equipment through avoidable failures?
    Yes.

• So, you're asking the government to act like complete idiots and waste even more money than they already are for your convenience?
  • So, you're asking the government to act like complete idiots and waste even more money than they already are for your convenience?
    No. I am suggesting that if the goal is to make everyone feel the impact of the shutdown go for the real impact not a manufactured one.

• What makes you think their primary goal is making people feel the impact of the shutdown and not minimizing the damage it will cause to their work?
  • edited October 2013
    I have never heard of this site but they look to be the least fringey of the sites I found reporting on this. Is this true?

Government shuts down Florida Bay. 1,100 square miles of open ocean shut down.

EDIT: OK, they look fringey too...
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/05/harry-reid-shutdown_n_4050400.html

“What we are looking at here again is an administration and president that seems to be unwilling to sit down and talk to us,” House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) bemoaned at a press conference on Saturday morning.

While Cantor is right that Democrats aren't exactly in the talking mood, the suggestion that they aren’t wiling to negotiate ignores that they’ve already given Republicans a major win. The continuing resolution that the White House and congressional Democrats have agreed to funds the government at sequestration levels. And even some members of Cantor's own caucus admit that they got the good end of that deal.

“It is a concession, I acknowledge that,” Rep. Doug Lamborn (R-Colo.) told The Huffington Post on Saturday. “I was glad to see that lower number. It didn’t take defense spending into account. We still have a big discrepancy between the House and Senate version. But there has been some compromise and I acknowledge that.”

(Lamborn, for what it's worth, is no centrist. He signed on to a letter saying a government shutdown was preferable to the implementation of Obamacare.)
    And hows that a change from what they are doing now? Fnarf Fnarf.

And hows that a change from what they are doing now? Fnarf Fnarf.
  • That is my favourite gif from my favourite film.
  • Remember this?