This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2014

Comments

• That is on the todo list but would need to know more Germans before it becomes worthwhile.
    There is nothing any tourist or visitor to Germany can't do if they only speak English. I'm pretty sure an international convention like Essen would be just as easy to attend as any in the USA.

A quick google later... :
    ---
    20 I can't read or speak German at all, is that a problem?

Neither can I, and I've never had a problem in the years I've been going. If your intention is to stay around your hotel and the halls, visiting local restaraunts and playing games, you will have no trouble whatsoever. It would help if you bring a phrasebook and maybe a pocket dictionary, but you can get by using English only. The hotel and restaraunt staff, the local transport staff, the people in and around the halls and especially other gamers will all speak some English and usually very good English. The ticket sellers and security staff at the halls may have limited or no English, but there will be plenty of gamers around who can help you.

If you intend to travel further afield, you may have problems. But I've not gone outside the city centre, so I cannot comment. Not everybody you meet on the street will speak English, but most younger Germans will have good English and are very willing to help. (On one occassion, I was trying to locate a street and asked the postie. Returning later, he stopped me and asked if I'd been successful!)

Inside the halls, every stand will have English speakers, although again they may be limited or not precise. Often, the person helping you will be able to explain the game well enough but sometimes they miss a particular rule which may affect your opinion of the game. But this is more to do with them only learning the game at the show rather than poor English.

Do not be afraid to ask people playing a game if they like it or if you can join in if they are just starting. Sometimes you'll come up blank, but most times someone will have good English and they will usually read the rules in English. This might be a little tortuous, but again it usually works very well and making friends is well worth the effort. Having a German friend with you is a great boon. When you have an absolutely precise technical question, they can ask the staff in German and settle the question for you. And they can translate certain words or phrases on game boxes that your distionary won't have, especially in-jokes. Remember, nearly everybody inside the hall is a gamer like you. How would you behave in their place? They'll be just as impressed that you've come to their show and like you, they're are usually very pleased to help you out. If you spend the trip with your own buddies and fail to mix with the Germans, you'll be missing a huge part of the experience.
    ---

Also, there's no reason to go to Essen for the convention without doing more traveling in Europe. There's no point in not traveling to countries where you don't know the language! Visit France and the Netherlands and Belgium and Luxemburg... in none of them is anything even remotely difficult if you don't speak the languages. Tiny villages in the country, okay you might struggle, but in no city or any tourist destination or route will you have any problems.

• That is on the todo list but would need to know more Germans before it becomes worthwhile.
    Awesome Advice
    Thanks Luke, that would be the primary reason, if I am going I would want to do more then just see Essen would like to get a good taste of the country as well.
  • Plenty of people backpack across all European countries through cities and sticks only knowing one language. The epic board game convention will definitely not be a problem.
  • Aaaaaaaaaah when a bunch of you post in this thread I get super jumpy!
  • I set the official pax twitter to notify my devices two years ago. It's useful, but I actually received about 20 seconds of advance warning for Prime from this thread. Slow network. :P
  • edited October 2013
    Reg opens tomorrow, sometime after noon Eastern time.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • April 11-13. God damn it, one week before Passover break.
    Who doesn't want PAX EASTer 2: The Resurrection?
    Who doesn't want PAX EASTer 2: The Resurrection?
  • edited October 2013
    Hotel site is up, rooms open at noon. (I haven't poked at it yet.)
    Post edited by okeefe on
  • Good luck with that nonsense. If you can get a room at the Westin, consider yourself extremely lucky and go buy a lottery ticket.
  • Westin, Seaport, Renascence in that order.
  • heh, I doubt there will be any Westin Rooms.
  • heh, I doubt there will be any Westin Rooms.
    I guarantee there will not be any Westin rooms.
  • edited October 2013
    Not for you non-Enforcers, at least. ;)

I'm already looking forward to the con and the geekroom. Everyone who isn't Enforcing, get your F5's ready, because shit is about to go down.

EDIT: Also, for those of you in a (Salty)betting mood, I predict that three-day passes will sell out around midnight.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited October 2013
    Post edited by okeefe on
  • It is live. I am in the queue.
  • Got my 3-day pass. Words cannot express my joy.
  • Not for you non-Enforcers, at least. ;)

I'm already looking forward to the con and the geekroom. Everyone who isn't Enforcing, get your F5's ready, because shit is about to go down.

EDIT: Also, for those of you in a (Salty)betting mood, I predict that three-day passes will sell out around midnight.
    I'm betting that they'll be sold out by 1 pm.
  • Nah, even with the prior warning, badges should last a few hours. Not even PAX Prime sells out of weekend passes in an hour yet.
  • We're trying to get in with the Indie Megabooth this year for Bloodcrusher, so if one of you folks misses your window, I'll sell you my ticket if I get an expo pass.
  • Badges acquired. Still working on the hotel.
  • Got badge, waiting on hotel
  • Just got a three day pass! I'm coming from Australia and thus I am VERY EXCITED omygosh.

I am not sure what to do about accommodation though. I am just one person traveling alone so it seems silly for me to book a whole room to myself. Maybe I will though. I'll see what the options are when the hotel booking site wants to work for me.
  • So...are plans for an FRC Forum Hotel Room on the table?
  • I am in the line, just in case going is a thing that I can do legitimately.
  • I'm watching the spinny thingie. I don't technically need a badge but figure I should get one just in case
  • 3days are sold out.
  • 3days are sold out.
    Seriously? wow.