This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX East 2014

Comments

• Oh shoot son! I just got confirmed to enforce again for PAX!
  • I'll be at PAX East! I haven't heard about my panel yet, but I should hear about that in a week or two. I'll probably be running games at Games on Demand, too.
  • Jordan O. said:

Oh shoot son! I just got confirmed to enforce again for PAX!

Wait, there was a confirmation sent out? I thought all we had to do was post in that one thread.

• edited February 2014
    I have never enforced before, so I got the email about sending in a headshot and all of that... Wow I'm an idiot, I have no idea why I put an "again" there.
    Post edited by Jordan O. on
  • Jordan O. said:

I have never enforced before, so I got the email about sending in a headshot and all of that... Wow I'm an idiot, I have no idea why I put an "again" there.

Alrighty then.
  • Am I the only one that hears the news about winter storm pax and thinks of PAX?
  • It appears that the "Storytime" person this year is Alex Rigopulos from Harmonix and I HOPE he goes into the rhythm game angle or else it will be a waste.

Also the musical lineup is announce and...they are bad.

Friday you have a solid lineup: Bit Brigade, Metroid Metal, and Anamanaguchi. Anamanaguchi's new album will cause a change in their show, plus their kickstarter to pimp their live event could make it interesting, but I feel into that trap before in a PAX Mainstage. Bit Brigade will be Zelda 1 or Mega Man 2, while Metroid Metal will do their normal set. If you have not seen them live I would say go or otherwise skip it.

Saturday is nothing but pain: MC Frontalot, The Doubleclicks, and The Video Game Orchestra. MC Frontalot has the same set but with the songs switched and the PA theme song set to a different tune each time, The Doubleclicks are pandering Nerd Folk artists, and VGO...is VGO. Avoid at all costs.
  • I love Anamanaguchi's shows, but it's a different vibe from other VGM stuff.

Doubleclicks are cute enough. VGO is...Yeah, I agree. And same about Frontalot.
  • I like an Anamanaguchi album, but the one time I saw them live I was not impressed.
  • edited February 2014
    They were okay when I saw them live at my first PAX. My problem with Anamanaguchi was best summed up by Anthony Fantano (he usually has similar opinions on music to what I do). They're good, but its like really sugary candy, you really like it but after a few songs you're sorta sick of it. Any sort of bittune band I usually don't care for though, mostly because the nature of the synthesizers they use. It would be like an EDM album where the person just uses the same synth over and over to make different rhythms. It can be cool but usually just sounds the same and ultimately gets boring.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • RymRym
    edited February 2014
    Chip and simple synth music only does it for me over a long period of time if it has strong melodies and interesting harmony. Nothing else will save it.

I enjoy that kind of music in exactly the same way I enjoy baroque music.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Rym said:

Chip and simple synth music only does it for me over a long period of time if it has strong melodies and interesting harmony. Nothing else will save it.

I enjoy it the same way, but the melodies of Anamanaguchi were lost in the volume of a live concert.
  • I will say, I have seen two of their concerts. The second was much better, and more recent. They have stepped up their game.

However, I have heard that PAX East does not have good concert audio. I'm kind of an audio snob in this regard (I had problems with some of MAGFest's audio, though they got it mostly right for the most important concert). If that is the case, then it won't be good.
  • Axel said:

However, I have heard that PAX East does not have good concert audio. I'm kind of an audio snob in this regard (I had problems with some of MAGFest's audio, though they got it mostly right for the most important concert). If that is the case, then it won't be good.

This is why I stick with the "secret" JamSpace concerts when attending PAX.

• I had the same exact problem with Anamanaguchi's melodies being drowned out, but for some reason I still want to see them. I haven't seen them since PAX East 2010, so I'm willing to give them another chance. Don't assume that time has allowed them to figure their shit out, though. They got booked on Jimmy Fallon a few months back and it was AWFUL. They went with the slow-build Endless Fantasy, poor audio and all, and lost the audience before they got 30 seconds in. Should have busted out that Prom Night.
  • I really liked their performance on Fallon, but it's because Endless Fantasy is my jam. It was a poor choice for that audience. At the same time, title track.
  • Rym said:

Lounging on a long, low couch in a velvet robe while smoking opium from a long, thin pipe?
  • Churba said:

Rym said:

Lounging on a long, low couch in a velvet robe while smoking opium from a long, thin pipe?
    Isn't it possible to enjoy just about anything under those circumstances?

• Dromaro said:

Churba said:

Rym said:

Isn't it possible to enjoy just about anything under those circumstances?
    Well, to quote Adam Savage, Writing it down is the difference between Science and fucking around. So I'm going to go find a notepad and my opium pipe.

• Anamanaguchi's newest album really changed things up, including their concerts since.

My panel got accepted—Speaker badge for the win! I'll be talking about tabletop rpgs.
  • I saw them a few times before their latest album, it was definitely best enjoyed in a REALLY small venue where everyone was super into it. Having also seen them after they put out Endless Fantasy, they really stepped up their live game - their songs have a lot more musical variety, making for a more interesting concert, and they put a lot of work into their on-stage visuals and lighting. It's worth checking them out again.
  • Enforcing is happening - I am officially excited.
  • edited February 2014
    I'm not proud of it, but I just paid a pile of money for a ticket on ebay. There are too many people I want to talk to in person going.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • I'm not proud of it, but I just paid a pile of money for a ticket on ebay. There are too many people I want to talk to in person going.

Hope it's legit.
  • I guess at least with ebay you can file fraud claims.
  • edited February 2014
    They were at a price point where I felt comfortable going for it without feeling like they were a scam, the seller had solid feedback, and, yeah, worse comes to worse I file a fraud claim. I went through all the seller's negative feedback and they were all people whining about shipping taking two days longer than expected or not knowing how phone chargers work, and all the feedback for tickets and stuff were solid.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • pence said:

Enforcing is happening - I am officially excited.

Congratulations, I have not heard anything back so I hope I get something soon so that I can plan appropriately.
  • okeefe said:

Anamanaguchi's newest album really changed things up, including their concerts since.

My panel got accepted—Speaker badge for the win! I'll be talking about tabletop rpgs.

Very cool! What's the name/who else is on it?

• Random question, does anyone know if exhibitors (the bigger ones) at PAX are guaranteed panel slots?