This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Everybody should try The Castle Doctrine

So I was thinking about my favorite games this year and this one came to mind:

It's a delightful, fascinating, potentially massive battle of human wits. At its core, The Castle Doctrine involves trapping and killing robbers in your own house while also trying to break into other people's houses. I wrote a fuller review of it here if you're interested.

At this point, I'm (a) convinced this was one of the most interesting games to come out this year and (b) sad that there aren't more people still playing it. I think a lot of people here might really like it if they tried it, but the developer has pretty much guaranteed he will never put it on sale.

So here's how I intend to solve the player population problem: I bought a bunch of copies in bulk and I'm giving them away in a few places. I have ten Steam keys for The Castle Doctrine available for FRC folks, because I think people here might really dig it.

To get a copy, you need to be an active member of the FRC forum and:
1. Send me a PM declaring that you want a copy.
2. Actually install and play the game in earnest. If you can't get to at least $10k net worth, you haven't really played The Castle Doctrine. Keep going until you get there.
3. Post your thoughts/tips/stories in this thread.
4. If you end up enjoying the game and think it is worth $16, buy a copy on Steam for someone else and pass it along.

Please actually be prepared to do 2 and 3 above. Don't just grab for a free Steam key.

Comments

• I bought this when it came out since I was already a fan of Jason's other games. I tried to play it three or four times, but failed. I didn't have enough money to build any kind of secure house that I was satisfied with. I also couldn't survive anyone else's house at all. I just gave up. Even if it's good after you figure it out, why bother? There are so many games, and other media, out there. I don't have enough time for all of them. Something that requires such effort has to be so very amazing to be worth my time.
  • So defeatist! Personally, I found it very worth my time to figure out — likely my second-favorite game this year.

One of the satisfying pieces of the game is building a secure-enough starting house on the limited funds you start with. Try this starting design: https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1ZFg_JCoxpITRDNBQ7cvI6woTPYN8gjKCGaVsT_ozcAM

For the "massive maze" part, just start with a bunch of alternate paths with commit gates that you're forced to choose between, but gradually build it up into something full of combination locks, clocks, and other much smarter traps.

Now sit back and watch other people fail in your house. It's delightful.
  • I had the same exact experience as Scott. I realize this was us playing in an early-access/alpha build situation. I'm sure the game has gotten better, or will continue to before it's "official" release, but I'm highly unlikely to go back and play more. This was one of the few times I've played an early access game and I'm pretty much done with games of that type. Happy to wait for the finished product.
  • I have too many games I already haven't played. I'll only buy a game sight unseen if it's A. a game from a franchise I already love (Dirt, HL, NFS, etc) or B. If it's from a dev I already love.
  • I had been considering getting this ever since I read an interview with the guy, but then I forgot to.
  • Matt said:

I had the same exact experience as Scott. I realize this was us playing in an early-access/alpha build situation. I'm sure the game has gotten better, or will continue to before it's "official" release, but I'm highly unlikely to go back and play more. This was one of the few times I've played an early access game and I'm pretty much done with games of that type. Happy to wait for the finished product.

The game was fully released on January 29th, 2014, so it's as finished as it will ever be I think...
  • Ah, I lost track of it. I played back in early 2013.