This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

EA now on Steam

edited December 2008 in Video Games
This is real big. EA has been running a competitive downloading service, but now it seems that they have given into the steam client. Currently you can get Spore, Warhammer Online, Crysis, and Mass Effect, but expect more in the future (Mirror's Edge ^_^)

Comments

• edited December 2008
    But does it still have SecuRom, or will there be the steam-based DRM? Frankly, if it still has SecuRom and limited installs, my interest goes way down. It just seems like new games which I am interested will be announced with some form of draconian DRM, and they just seem to turn out bad anyway. My interest for EA has gone down majorly this year. I don't even pirate their games, I just don't care about them.
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • Spore,
    Meh.
    Warhammer Online,
    Meh.
    Crysis,
    I'll have to wait for my Thinking Aluminium order to come through.
    Mass Effect,
    Do not know if want.
    Mirror's Edge
    My friend actually bought this game for the PS3. He said it was not worth even getting it at a used price.
  • Crysis,
    I'll have to wait for my Thinking Aluminium order to come through.The processing power it takes to run Crysis is way overstated.
  • The processing power it takes to run Crysis is way overstated.
    Tell that to your negaself.
  • Tell that to your negaself.
    On Earth Minus One.
  • Mass Effect is awesome and should be played. The rest should be avoided, especially Warhammer Online.
  • To quote form Slashdot:
    On the official Steam forums, when asked whether or not Spore would contain the dreaded SecuROM DRM that contributed to it being the most pirated game of 2008, a moderator replied, 'It does not have third party DRM.'
    Hopefully this means that other games will only have steam DRM as well. Hopefully. I know it's an old topic that's starting to get on people's nerves because of over-exposure, but when I buy a product on steam, I'm expecting a product that I can download whenever I want, however many times I want, and is always available when I'm offline or online.
  • The processing power it takes to run Crysis is way overstated.
    Didn't they update the engine so that the average gaming pc could run it?
  • Mass Effect is the only one I'm looking out for. Maybe RA3 but not that much.
  • Supposedly Spore won't have Securom on it over Steam. Unfortunately I don't think it is going to work out well for people. They're going to say it is an experiment, but no one is going to buy the game (so Securom doesn't have an affect on sales, blah blah blah).

The problem is, this is a late release, and we already know now that the gameplay sucks and it was overhyped. This would really only work if it was first released only on Steam before people found out.
  • If they try to pull this off as an experiment, I think enough people will know the game was overhyped and sucked anyway, so obviously anyone with a brain will be able to figure out that EA is lying when it comes to the conclusion that SecuRom doesn't have an effect. Unfortunately, there are too many people out there without a brain.
  • edited December 2008
    Once they fix fortress sieges in WAR, it could stand to be the best MMO ever. At least, the best PvP-oriented one.

EDIT: Also, the EA downloader is a piece of shit. This is very welcome news.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Mass Effect for $30 is a no brainer.
  • Finally, they've deigned to allow us of the great southern land to purchase their glorious wares.

Mass Effect is downloading now, despite the fact that I had already borrowed the 360 version from a friend.
  • Great EA's crappy games can infect Steam.
  • Great EA's crappy games can infect Steam.
    They've been doing better recently. Of course by better I mean Dead Space and Mass Effect, but hopefully this upward trend will continue.
  • Technically EA was not behind Mass Effect at all, it was all BioWare and some Microsoft. EA bought BioWare/Pandemic after Mass Effect's release.
  • This is correct. I guess Dead Space was OK...
  • Did anyone buy a game already?

INTERNET CONNECTION, ONLINE AUTHENTICATION, END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY. TO ACCESS ONLINE FEATURES, YOU MUST REGISTER ONLINE. ONLY ONE REGISTRATION AVAILABLE PER GAME. EA TERMS & CONDITIONS AND FEATURE UPDATES CAN BE FOUND AT WWW.EA.COM. YOU MUST BE 13+ TO REGISTER ONLINE. EA MAY RETIRE ONLINE FEATURES AFTER 30 DAYS NOTICE POSTED ON www.ea.com.

That kinda worries me.