This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Live Stream Tonight

edited April 2009 in GeekNights
There is a GeekNights live video stream tonight, Wednesday April 1, 2009, at 7:00 PM EDT or 23:00 UTC/GMT. You can watch it at the following URL.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/geeknights-live

During most of the stream, we will be responding to live to viewer questions and comments. You can make these comments in many places.

Comments

• edited April 2009
    Should everyone start moving over to the GNL IRC channel?
    Might simplify things to have Unemployed Scott stream on there as well and remove the old channel.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • So roughly the same time as bollocks then? Decisions decisions.
    edited April 2009
    As I already said on StS: Are you willing to add the GNLive stream embed to the temp video page? That'd be great. Add to that a black background and it would be even better.
    Post edited by ... on
  • So that was fun, eh? I got all but one of my questions answered and was nominated for chatroom president (though Nineless opposes me).
    Fun times!
  • edited April 2009
    Just so everyone who cares knows, I have a log of the chatroom for a few minutes before everything started, during the event, and I'm currently logging everything after. I know most people probably don't care, but for the few who do, I'll be cleaning up the log and posting it tonight.
    However, in the meantime, here's a link to the Tweets to GeekNights.
    EDIT: Sorry for the broken Twitter link; the previous one was tied to the home page.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • edited April 2009
    Nice! Thanks Neito!

EDIT: Your twitter link doesn't work.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • It was really fun! The chat was awesome (despite some trolls.) Try and do it again please!
  • Yeah, I'd watch another.
  • edited April 2009
    That was a good time. Looking forward to the next one.
    Post edited by Airpi on
  • Yeah, that was fun. I had to keep coming and going, so I missed a lot of it, but it was fun anyway.

I think we need a persistent, official Geeknights IRC channel or something.
  • That was pretty cool, I enjoyed a lot :D
  • I only came in at the 1 hour mark but I enjoyed what I saw.
  • I think moderation of the questions is needed but other than that it was very good!
  • It was a lot of fun, I think. I agree on a moderator, since sometimes the questions would just scroll past really fast (I had bad luck most of the time and wound up posting a question as soon as twelve or so others posted, so my question vanished off the screen instantly).
  • The thing is, if you catch all the good questions, how do you ever get to the end? Maybe try and have just one question each?
  • I say use the Twitter for questions, and make that the only way to ask questions, and leave the chatroom there for people to talk, and maybe some direct interaction, but real questions should go through Twitter only.
  • The log for the IRC channel, for those who want it.

For the record, even though some of it is fluff, in a little over two hours, we created a log that was 311 kilobytes.
    311/120= 2.59 Kilobytes a minute, or .04 kilobytes a second.
  • I know that it is slightly off-topic, but when the new site launched last night, the feeds in iTunes went down. Just thought you should know.
  • I know that it is slightly off-topic, but when the new site launched last night, the feeds in iTunes went down. Just thought you should know.
    I know all about it. It's because FeedBurner is poop. I tried to fix it pre-emptively, but could not because FeedBurner is poop.
    I know all about it. It's because FeedBurner is poop. I tried to fix it pre-emptively, but could not because FeedBurner is poop.
    If you don't mind me asking, what exactly does FeedBurner do that WordPress or whatever you're using now doesn't do already?
  • Scott, did you do anything to the forum? I can only see about 1/4 of people's avatars.
  • Scott, did you do anything to the forum? I can only see about 1/4 of people's avatars.
    Me too. I can probably see less than that.
  • what exactly does FeedBurner do that WordPress or whatever you're using now doesn't do already?
    Feedburner automatically handles the meta-information that iTunes requires. We can handle it on our own with our system, but that's not in place yet.

More importantly, Feedburner provides free bandwidth. The main GeekNights RSS feeds get hammered day in and day out. By offloading them to Feedburner, we save all of that bandwidth and CPU. It also gives us a nice backup for when we perform site maintenance or Linode has an outage: the feed stays up, as does the Libsyn repository with the actual audio files.

We'll host all of the less active and dynamic feeds, such as archival ones, locally.

But, at their core, both Libsyn and Feedburner are sub-optimal in a number of ways. One is cheap, and the other is free, which are the only reasons we don't roll our own (yet).
  • Are you going to shut down the Unemployed Scott uStream channel or use both of them? If the latter, which IRC channel should we use?
  • Are you going to shut down the Unemployed Scott uStream channel or use both of them? If the latter, which IRC channel should we use?
    You are the people who decided it would be a good idea to use those IRC channels permanently. I consider them only as channels associated with the live shows themselves. If you want to use them when the show isn't going on, it's up to you people to coordinate.
  • edited April 2009
    Ok, what about the uStream channels then?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Ok, what about the uStream channels then?
    Different channels for different shows.
  • I fixed the avatar problem. Also, I reconfigured the site to use memcached, so it should be much much faster.
  • So, will this show be posted on the site eventually?
  • So, will this show be posted on the site eventually?
    It should have been posted as the Thursday show, but Rym is a lazy ass.