This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 100215 - Google Buzz and Privacy

edited February 2010 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss privacy on social networks, mostly as a result of the uproar over Google Buzz. In the news, Windows Mobile 7 is on its way.

Comments

• I just saw the Moot at TED talks and I see the sense in fearing full identity disclosure for social networking. The moral ramifications of the technology is still too far behind the curve. I have no answer.
  • A friend of mine with an Android said that Media Monkey works well with it in terms of music.
  • Meebo iPhone App
    FUCKING FINALLY! What the fuck took so long?
  • edited February 2010
    Meebo iPhone App
    FUCKING FINALLY! What the fuck took so long?
    I've seen a bunch of similar apps that've been out for awhile. Ebuddy lite, for instance
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Man, I think my next phone is going to be an Android one. They're really ahead of the curve in terms of awesomely futuristic augmented reality, though everything we've seen so far is just proto-awesome. The future is so bright.
  • Man, I think my next phone is going to be an Android one. They're really ahead of the curve in terms of awesomely futuristic augmented reality, though everything we've seen so far is just proto-awesome. The future is so bright.
    They're also the only linux thing I've ever used that actually crashes, that's an achievement.
  • I think your definition of Murphy's Law is a bit limited. Saying "If something can go wrong, it will" can apply to anything, and doesn't really help. I like to call that Sod's Law, because I'm British, and use a more subtle version of Murphy's Law:

"If there's two ways to do something, and one way leads to disaster, someone is going take that option."

Using this when designing anything, from electrical circuits to cars to software to juggling shows, is really helpful. It makes you lock down options for idiot users, and control their behavior into safer, less harmful actions.
  • My mom is very skeptical of Buzz. She sent me this article, and then I kind of ranted at her. Well, not at her, but about privacy and surveillance.
  • Oh wow, that's just too funny.
  • edited February 2010
    For podcasts on Android, DoggCatcher is the business. They guy who develops it is super-responsive about dealing with new phone bugs, and runs a forum to support it on his site. It costs $6.99 which is high for an Android app, but it works.

It supports:
    1. Both audio and video podcasts via RSS
    2. OTA Sync, or Sync on Wifi at your preference
    3. Option to hide podcasts from Android's mediascanner (keeps them from showing up in music playing apps)
    4. Per-feed options such as:
      • How many new episodes to keep on the device
      • When to automatically delete old episodes
      • Sorting and naming conventions to fix bad feeds
    5. Global defaults for the per-feed options
    6. Virtual feeds for things like audiobooks by dropping them in a folder on the SD card
    7. OPML import! Fuck yeah!
    8. Streaming for both audio and video 'casts
    9. Julienne fries.
    In short, DoggCatcher has a silly name, but is awesome.
    Post edited by pliny on
  • The user interface on Doggcatcher is shit, and it's $7. iPod/Zune come included free with iPhone/Winmo phones, and don't suck in that department.
  • I guess it's a case of personal taste and priorities. One of the things I hate about iPod/Zune is the lock-in to the iPod/Zune software to sync things. DC lets me just setup podcast feeds on my Hero and forget about it. Podcasts just appear on the phone whenever they update.
  • I guess it's a case of personal taste and priorities. One of the things I hate about iPod/Zune is the lock-in to the iPod/Zune software to sync things. DC lets me just setup podcast feeds on my Hero and forget about it. Podcasts just appear on the phone whenever they update.
    I also hate the lock-in, but it's really not a problem because you're being locked into the best. Let's say for example that Amarok was better than iTunes. I would be very upset that I would not be able to use the iPod with Amarok. However, that is not the case. iTunes does suck ass, but everything else sucks ten times more asses. I'm more upset that I can't use an Android phone with iTunes than I can't use iPod with something other than iTunes.
  • I also hate the lock-in, but it's really not a problem because you're being locked into the best
    If Scott says, it must be true!!!
  • iTunes does suck ass, but everything else sucks ten times more asses. I'm more upset that I can't use an Android phone with iTunes than I can't use iPod with something other than iTunes.
    I think that's a false choice though. These days, I only have to physically connect my phone to my computer to transfer off new music for safekeeping/backup. If Jungle Disk ever gets around to doing an Android client, I won't even need to do that. I get new media directly on the phone, nothing to manage or sync.
  • I think that's a false choice though. These days, I only have to physically connect my phone to my computer to transfer off new music for safekeeping/backup. If Jungle Disk ever gets around to doing an Android client, I won't even need to do that. I get new media directly on the phone, nothing to manage or sync.
    I don't know about you, but the phone is not the primary place to store the media. I store the media on hard drives in my computer. Then I just copy the few things I'm actually going to watch or listen to to the phone. The phone can not be a trusted storage space because it can easily be lost, stolen, broken, reset, etc.
  • I can't seem to figure this. How do I get Google Buzz to post to my twitter account?
  • I can't seem to figure this. How do I get Google Buzz to post to my twitter account?
    I don't know if you can, yet. If you can, let me know how also.
  • When you add twitter to connected sites, it says, quite specifically,
    Include your public tweets. Your buzz will not be sent to Twitter.
  • edited February 2010
    I just assumed that was a privacy default and that maybe you could change Buzz settings to post to other social sites. Oh well.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • edited February 2010
    Well, you can access your Buzz as an Atom feed via this:
    http://buzz.googleapis.com/feeds/{user}/public/posted
    e.g.
    http://buzz.googleapis.com/feeds/lackofcheese/public/posted is mine (though it's empty at the moment).
    From there you need to get some method of importing the feed to Twitter.

EDIT: 'ware infinite loops ^_~
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • About the news, you can't use anything that is replicatable. You need big weapons that kids couldn't get. You get Terminator 2.
  • I'm just glad that someone else has realized that there is no real "right to privacy" in the fourth amendment.
  • The IT department at my office told me that I will no longer be able to use Firefox due to the "fact" that Mozilla does not send security updates as fast as Microsoft and this can cause a security hole that can be breached (security is a big deal here). Is there any validity to this statement?
  • The IT department at my office told me that I will no longer be able to use Firefox due to the "fact" that Mozilla does not send security updates as fast as Microsoft and this can cause a security hole that can be breached (security is a big deal here). Is there any validity to this statement?
    No.
  • edited February 2010
    No.
    It bears repeating.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited February 2010
    The IT department at my office told me that I will no longer be able to use Firefox due to the "fact" that Mozilla does not send security updates as fast as Microsoft and this can cause a security hole that can be breached (security is a big deal here). Is there any validity to this statement?
    I suggest you send this video to your IT department in response.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited February 2010
    No.That was what I thought. They also took away all my rights as well. I cannot even download a plug-in for Windows Media Player. Corporate policy. There used to be a line at which the IT department would not cross so as to not impede production, it was immediately crossed as soon as the IT HQ moved to Billings, MT. It now takes me 1.5-2 times longer to accomplish the same tasks. sigh.
    Post edited by Bobblun on