This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

DVD Ripping, (some) DRM Circumvention, Jailbreaking now protected under federal law.

edited July 2010 in Technology
Awesome.

So, it would appear that Congress has finally started listening to groups like the EFF.

Comments

• On a related note, I use Handbrake for my DVD ripping, but most of the files come out all fucked up. Is there a better program to use?
  • Mac the Ripper.
  • It's still illegal to own a backup copy of your music.
    No, it's illegal to circumvent DRM on music. Ripping music with no DRM is fine.
    Nope. Ripping music is illegal duplication.
  • On a related note, I use Handbrake for my DVD ripping, but most of the files come out all fucked up. Is there a better program to use?
    What platform? Handbrake doesn't come with a decss library, so might have to install a program that includes one, like VLC.
  • Anyone recommend a DVD ripper for Windows? I used to use DVD43 but it doesn't work on Winx64.
  • edited July 2010
    Anyone recommend a DVD ripper for Windows? I used to use DVD43 but it doesn't work on Winx64.
    Handbrake + AnyDVD.
    Post edited by Apreche on
    Nope. Ripping music is illegal duplication.
    I thought the new exceptions allow for fair use duplication, provided that DRM is not circumvented. I could be wrong.