This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Borders is Going Down

edited February 2011 in Everything Else
Looks like Borders is just about bankrupt. When it finally goes, make sure to hit up the clearance blowouts. Plenty of comics and games to raid.

Comments

• That makes me sad. I enjoy going to Borders to seeing what manga to check out and look through for potential.

Plus the one in Tacoma has a Seattle's Best Coffee and they make the best hot chocolates.

I hope they don't close too many in my area.
  • It will probably be a Media Play situation.
  • This makes me really sad. Borders pretty much always has everything that I want. I don't want to go back to shopping at stupid Barnes & Noble.
  • edited February 2011
    Well Bloomberg says that they will close at least 150 of their 650 stores. I'm sure the one closest to me will close down because it's connected to a shitty mall that has so many spaces available for rent.

To continue going to the ones they will probably keep open, I will have to travel around 20-30 mins.

I didn't have any idea what Media Play was until I googled it. Over here it's akin to Suncoast Video or Wherehouse Music.
    This makes mereallysad. Borders pretty much always has everything that I want. I don't want to go back to shopping at stupid Barnes & Noble.
    Indeed. They never give good coupons either.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I say good riddance. I've never been to a Borders that had a good selection of anything or had a lower price than anyone else. I only ever went when I used to get gift cards from relatives.
  • Boarders will probably file under Ch. 11, because they have a lot of inventory that they would be able to liquidate in a way that... say... Central Park Media did not. This is probably not the last we will see of Boarders.
  • A Borders near me closed a few months back and I managed to get some books there pretty cheap.
  • This makes mereallysad. Borders pretty much always has everything that I want. I don't want to go back to shopping at stupid Barnes & Noble.
    Borders always had way worse selections than Barnes and Noble by and large, at least in my experience.

I saw this coming for years. Borders was on way weaker footing than B&N; for a long time. Neither one will last as a big box store in the long term, but Borders was definitely lined up to die first. The latter would do well to shift from being a bookstore to being more of a media lounge and expand their food/drink service if they want to survive the coming decade.
    It will probably be a Media Play situation.
    Scarily, many former Media Play spaces are STILL empty. I'll bet Borders go the same route: there isn't the same demand for big anything stores there used to be.
  • All of the Barnes and Nobels I have been to have had shitty comic sections, so I always went to Borders.
  • Borders always had way worse selections than Barnes and Noble by and large, at least in my experience.
    The opposite can be said in my experience, especially when it came to graphic novels and manga.
  • When the rent on the big empty big box stores gets really really really insanely cheap, all nerds should take them over. We can use them for paintball, airsoft, mini-conventions, etc.
  • When the rent on the big empty big box stores gets really really really insanely cheap, all nerds should take them over. We can use them for paintball, airsoft, mini-conventions, etc.
    I second this notion
    Last year, when Nintendo of America moved into a new office building, they allowed all the employees to hold a massive paintball game inside the old office, with all the old furniture still there. I know several people who work there and said that it was pretty much the most epic game of paintball you could ever imagine. Rumor has it that Iwata was there to watch the game play out (from inside a locked office of course).
  • Rumor has it that Iwata was there to watch the game play out (from inside a locked office of course).
    That is actually minus points for Iwata. You know Miyamoto would have joined in on that shit.
  • edited February 2011
    I has a sad. At least used bookstores still have a place in society.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Borders always had way worse selections than Barnes and Noble by and large, at least in my experience.
    The opposite can be said in my experience, especially when it came to graphic novels and manga.
  • I think that probably has a lot to do with the fact that comic book and manga readers make up a large percentage of the people who actually use book stores these days.
  • Who buys books at stores not Amazon any more?
  • Who buys books atstoresnot Amazon any more?
    I do. But there's an independent store (Elliot Bay Bookstore what what!) right down the road from my university, so I don't shop at Borders much unless I go downtown.
  • Local, independent used bookstores have really spoiled me. I can't imagine spending more than $5 for a paperback nowadays. And if there's something I want that they don't have, I go to Amazon.
  • I hope they do a Blockbuster, and the Australian Borders don't close - They're some of the better bookshops in the cities or shopping centres, simply because they can afford the rent, and they usually have a pretty good selection.
  • Half-Price Books, baby.
    AW YEAH
    If they ever get one of these anywhere NEAR central IL, I'm in trouble. I killed so many hours (and bought SO many books) at the ones in Columbus, OH back in the day.
  • That saddens me but I think most Borders around me closed up already. I never really buy many books there anyway. I really only buy cheap discount books at bookstores. Usually I just either go to used book stores, the library book sale, Amazon or BookCloseOuts.
  • Books-a-Million was here, Borders is a loser.
  • Well. Guess we should figure out where the 1/3 of the stores that are closing are.
  • Well. Guess we should figure out where the 1/3 of the stores that are closing are.
    Indeed. I'd loot a downed Borders.
    Indeed. I'd loot a downed Borders.
    I don't know if I would. Even deep discounts wouldn't beat used bookstore prices, and Borders' have had weak, ass-old stock by and large for a long time now. Do you really need a crappy coffee table genero-history book?