This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Can Google make YouTube profitable?

edited October 2006 in Technology
I'm not certain this is a great move...
But we'll find out. Hope Google doesn't drop the ball.

Comments

• In Germany there are many youtube videos I can't watch, due to copyright claims on the music. This is very annoying.

But you know what is worse? The overlay adverts on youtube videos that I see here in the USA. I'll give up not being able to see Lady Gaga videos if I also miss out on adverts.
  • Adblock works on YouTube ads - I laugh when I see people complaining about them in the comments.
  • I'm using someone else's laptop, so that's probably the key to it. I'm not used to seeing any ads, so the internet seems like a weird place at the moment. Normally the ads here on the forum are only visible to me when using my iPhone, but now I'm seeing them all the time. My poor eyes!
  • Is there a decent AdBlock for Chrome yet?
  • Is there a decent AdBlock for Chrome yet?
    Yes. Adblock.
  • I don't get why people freak out about ads. If advertising is how something becomes profitable and I want that thing, I'll deal with the ads.
  • I don't get why people freak out about ads.
    They personally annoy me, and I'd rather not see them. The vast, staggering majority are of no interest to me and are for products I would never consider consuming.

If I wouldn't buy the product anyway, why should I waste my time or attention on an advertisement for said product?
  • I quite like the spam I get from Amazon and Audible and some other online stores I use. They often flag up new products or offers that I wouldn't find out about otherwise. For example, I have two books from a photographer, and he just released another, and I found out via an Amazon email. Great! But I already have an existing business relationship with these entities. I give them money on a monthly basis.
  • There are ads on YouTube?

My boss freaked out when he walked by my computer one day and didn't see any ads on our company's Web page. He called the tech guy and demanded that he put the ads back on. After I explained to him what Adblock is, and that everyone I know uses it, he raged for a little while. He demanded that I "put the ads back on the page where customers can see them," so I disabled Adblock on that one page in my browser.

I hate old people.
  • "If the revenue for your business model can be stopped by a browser script, you don't have a business model."
  • My boss freaked out when he walked by my computer one day and didn't see any ads on our company's Web page. He called the tech guy and demanded that he put the ads back on. After I explained to him what Adblock is, and that everyone I know uses it, he raged for a little while. He demanded that I "put the ads back on the page where customers can see them," so I disabled Adblock on that one page in my browser.
    I would have kept explaining until he understood. I would have recorded the conversation. I would have humiliated him publicly.

Then again, I am always willing to be a jerk at work because I am in the rare position of being able to get a new job at the drop of a hat.
  • "If the revenue for your business model can be stopped by a browser script, you don't have a business model."
    -- Someone on the Internet.
    Yup, I don't remember where I read it though, and can't be bothered to google.
    Yup, I don't remember where I read it though, and can't be bothered to google.
    Steal from the forgotten masters...