This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 071016 - Questions Week: Gaming

RymRym
edited October 2007 in Everything Else
Tonight on GeekNights, we continue Questions Week with gaming.

Comments

• I'm impressed. I can't believe you found out about the Naruto fighting game (which is best for the PS2). I agree, it's probably THE ONLY Anime fighting game that is good and can get very deep!
  • Apparently the new Naruto PSP game is really quite good.
  • edited October 2007
    A drafting game, huh? A drafting game? Oh, wait, what's Magic now?  Oh, that's right! It's a drafting game! 
    Sorry, that was overly and unneccessarily snarky, especially given that it doesn't work exactly as you described - there's still a larger set with booster packs; everyone gets three packs, you pass each booster around and pick one card from each, and build a deck from what you get.  I guess I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder.
    Post edited by rhinocero on
  • I'll be saving this one for my flight today, yesterdays was good, so I expect similarly good things for this one :)
  • A drafting game, huh? A drafting game? Oh, wait, what's Magic now? Oh, that's right! It's a drafting game!

Sorry, that was overly and unneccessarily snarky, especially given that it doesn't work exactly as you described - there's still a larger set with booster packs; everyone gets three packs, you pass each booster around and pick one card from each, and build a deck from what you get. I guess I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder.
    Different kind of draft. However, it would be possible to play M:TG or another CCG with Ticket to Ride style drafting. That would be quite interesting.

Basically, both players would share a single deck. Each player would get a hand of cards at random. Then a number of cards from that deck would be placed face up. On your turn you would have the option of drawing one of the face up cards, or some number of unknown cards from the top of the deck. Of course, this might break a game like M:TG in more ways than can be fixed. However, some sort of customizable card game with this mechanic has potential.
  • In Ticket to ride it is always two cards (face up or from the deck) unless you take the wild engine card face up.
  • In Ticket to ride it is always two cards (face up or from the deck) unless you take the wild engine card face up.
    Yeah, I just haven't played it in very long. The point is the mechanic of having face up cards to take as well as face down. It's the same in Thurn + Taxis.
  • Ticket to Ride, at its core, is just a set collecting game with a cool board.

Have you guys seen the two new games from Slugfest Games? Tiki Mountain and Red Dragon Inn. I think you guys would enjoy Red Dragon Inn.
  • Ticket to Ride, at its core, is just a set collecting game with a cool board.
    Yeap.  It's fun with a good group of people a few times as a light game, but it doesn't have any staying power at all.
  • edited October 2007
    I agree with you that Kojima is pretty out there and is pretty nuts sometimes.

What I meant by "deep political message" is as the game progresses it goes more and more into the idea of nuclear proliferation, loss of humanity that soliders go through, military exploits, etc. etc. Granted it's nothing new and you can go "read a book, read a book, read a motherfucking book" and get a lot of the same in a (sometimes) less convoluted way. I suppose it just stuck out for me because when I first played through I was taking a Global Studies class where we were talking about nuclear proliferation and global anti-war sentiment.

Anyway... well done guys. A great listen and I look forward to the rest of the week
    Post edited by CrimsonGenesis on
  • edited October 2007
    Kojima is out of his fucking mind, and I love it.

I will be adding to this post as I am listening as I type.

Risktaking in Games: Portal for the WIN

Favorite Trends: Rym mentioned achievements! :) - also Stat Tracking in Halo3 is UNBELIEVABLE

I loved Gun. It was GTA but... good.

Regarding the ludicrously fast FPS' on consoles, Unreal and Quake are on consoles and can indeed be played with analog sticks. TimeSplitters is also very twitch. PC games are faster, but they are apparent on consoles. I don't think, however, that all shooters need to be this way. There are a ton of incredible console FPS' that are slower and better, but there is also decent fast ones.... I don't see why good FPS' like the ones you guys remember can't be on consoles. Shit, Tribes and Counterstrike were on PS2 and Xbox respectively and were decent.
    I don't think a mouse makes an FPS good. I shouldn't need a certain controller to enjoy a game (hence my selling of my Wii... but that's another topic) - This is why I would totally play TF2 with a 360 controller on PC. Damn. If I had a PC that could run TF2 I could have gone through with my challenge to Rym :(

When I upgrade, it's on!

Post edited by MitchyD on
  • edited October 2007

Regarding the ludicrously fast FPS' on consoles, Unreal and Quake are on consoles and can indeed be played with analog sticks. TimeSplitters is also very twitch. PC games are faster, but they are apparent on consoles. I don't think, however, that all shooters need to be this way. There are a ton of incredible console FPS' that are slower and better, but there is also decent fast ones.... I don't see why good FPS' like the ones you guys remember can't be on consoles. Shit, Tribes and Counterstrike were on PS2 and Xbox respectively and were decent.

I don't think a mouse makes an FPS good. I shouldn't need a certain controller to enjoy a game (hence my selling of my Wii... but that's another topic) - This is why I would totally play TF2 with a 360 controller on PC. Damn. If I had a PC that could run TF2 I could have gone through with my challenge to Rym :(
    I'm assuming you have never played any of the old twitch shooters on PC back in the golden days. I can guaran-fucking-tee you that you would stand zero chances of ever competing in a realm even close to them with a console controller. Like Rym said, the twitch shooter is dead or nearly dead so you probably haven't played anything like them recently. Sure, today PC gamers and console gamers may be able to play each other in games like Halo or even TF2. But those games feeling like controlling a fucking semi where the old twitch shooters were like driving Formula 1 cars. Also, whats with all the fucking returns you put in your posts?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Been meaning to post this for a while but if you want to test the mouse>joy pad you can get one of
    these.
  • Been meaning to post this for a while but if you want to test the mouse>joy pad you can get one ofthese.
    Yes, this is good. However, there is a problem. The major problem with an analog stick is that it has a maximum. You can't push it any further up than all the way up. A mouse you can always move up faster and faster. If you plug a mouse into a 360 will it work fully? Sure, you're using an input device capable of effectively infinite range on all axis, but if I move the mouse up really quickly, will it actually go up as fast as I move the mouse up, or will I still be limited to the range of the analog sticks?
  • Ever wonder what type of people Rym was talking about when referring to LARPing?
  • No, I never did play older FPS'. It wasn't possible - however, that doesn't make console FPSing any less legit.