This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

SnowPiercer

Comments

• Has anyone read the French comic that this is based on? I keep almost buying it, but never seem to pull the trigger.
  • Has anyone read the French comic that this is based on? I keep almost buying it, but never seem to pull the trigger.

It's been in my Amazon Wish List for awhile, but I haven't bought it because I haven't read the comics I've already bought. That said, I feel like if I bought this I would read it right away.
  • This was no where on my radar. Will be getting the graphic novels.
  • Never-ending city-trains have been a concept in a couple sci-fi stories, but this sounds like a particularly good take. I've gotta read the comic first, though. So little of French comics makes it stateside, that what does is usually awesome.
  • This is not the first time I've mentioned this in the forums. Pay attentions people!
  • Yes, we must hang on every word the great and almighty Scott says!

There is way too many things going on in my geekeries that I can't keep up, so I'm only picking and choosing as I hear them from fairly reputable sources like people on the forums here.
  • So...

No-one just says fuck it all and derails the train?

No-one just says fuck it and decouples the rail end from the rest of the train?

No-one can just seal up like... One door and isolate a back half?

No-one can just go out and somehow fuck with the wheels of their car causing it to slow the train to the point where oppressed peoples can bail?

It seems badass I just wanna know how the train just keeps trucking, and the engine is their target.
  • SWATrous said:

So...

No-one can just go out and somehow fuck with the wheels of their car causing it to slow the train to the point where oppressed peoples can bail?

It seems badass I just wanna know how the train just keeps trucking, and the engine is their target.

I haven't yet read or watched it, but in the trailer you can see them punishing a dude by shoving his arm outside. Pretty sure there is no between-cars as per trains in the real world. It's probably completely sealed.

Also, the engine obviously holds a terrible secret from space that explains everything.
  • Apreche said:

SWATrous said:

So...

I haven't yet read or watched it, but in the trailer you can see them punishing a dude by shoving his arm outside. Pretty sure there is no between-cars as per trains in the real world. It's probably completely sealed.

Also, the engine obviously holds a terrible secret from space that explains everything.
    Also, it's pretty obvious that outside of the train is sure death, so doing anything to outright destroy or stop the train is out of question for all but the most desperate people.

• SWATrous said:

So...

The movie (and, I'd imagine, the comic) answer all of these questions.
  • Watched this. I thought for sure
    Wilfred caused the ice age, and the train was ensuring it continued. Entire world is frozen. Last vestiges of humanity saved in a train that drives around the entire world? And dude that made the train was a genius shunned by his peers. And he has a brainwashing cult going.

But I was totally wrong. I think my idea was a lot better.
  • I also thought that was going to be the plot.

It's possible that it WAS the plot still, actually. Just it wasn't the POINT.
  • I hate this movie with a fiery passion. It continues to set the bar for what Chris and I consider completely unwatchable garbage.
  • I hate this movie with a fiery passion...

• I really should finish the comic then watch the movie. I must be missing out...
  • I enjoyed watching it, but there's definitely stupid parts that ruin the experience as a whole.
  • Spoiler: Babies taste the best.
  • I enjoyed it. It's crazy, and with many plot holes, but I just went with it. There are some REALLY good scenes and action set pieces. There are some really dumb scenes too though, and it's 20-30 minutes too long.
  • My favourite part of the film was the moment where guy 'whats his name' has to choose between saving his friend and taking the 'annoying beesh' hostage. That was a real moment.

She's really annoying, but I found some of things she would say would just make me laugh.

One of the parts I didn't like was the shooting through the glass scene. Didn't make much sense.
  • I thought the whole thing was pretty kick-ass I dunno why people hate on it.

I could see Luke's opinion that it was maybe a few dumb scenes too long but, I really, really don't mind filler scenes as long as something, anything, is happening.
  • This movie is awesome. Here is why:
  • That only shows that Snowpiercer does that one thing really well, but I don't think it can be used to claim that the whole movie itself is "awesome". But that being said, the movie really does that one thing quite well, at least.
  • Snowpiercer was more enjoyable than The Avengers.
  • If this was an anime, I'm pretty sure a lot of the people hating this film would have liked it :-p Just saying.
  • If it was an anime, I would never have watched it in the first place.
  • Snowpiercer is great for the first half then fizzles out as they explain everything in the ending.
  • Snowpiercer's level of enjoyability is relatively akin to films like Equilibrium, Minority Report.. urm (help me out...) It's only made more notable in this entertainment drought.

These Marvel films are just CGI and IP. Plot is complete shite.

Likewise with DC films however worst, because they're so monotonal. Every film is an attempt to maintain darkness, and a sustained level of 'intenseness'. Which would be fine, except they don't do it well. Not much to appreciate here.

They're not even worth comparing against. Unless you're just talking about CGI. Which hasn't advanced much since Avatar.

Weta digital is the shit.
  • edited January 2015
    Good point that Snowpiercer seems to ride the same rails as Equilibrium, Resident Evil, etc. in terms of entertainment and appeal and message-ish-ness.

But I feel like it was a lot more fun because of its forced linearity than some... the confines of the story drive the narrative in one direction and you can't really question the decisions or motives. Its more in your face and accessible and the scale is intimate. All of those were beneficial in my mind.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • edited January 2015
    I watched it this afternoon and though it was fun and interesting. As others have pointed out, there are stupid. The ending encounter with Wilfred dragged a bit. Also the guy that just wouldn't die.

I really wanted the meat the steaks they were eating up in the engine room to be the kids that they kidnapped.
    I could see myself watching it again with less attention or in the background.

Curtis (generic comic book guy / Captain America) is kind of following a train like journey too, linear and forward.

The surprising part was that the production company was one of South Korea's large telecommunications companies (CJ).
    Post edited by sK0pe on