This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

"if you get your news from geek nights *something negative*"

Rym in particular often mentions that you really shouldn't be hearing anything for the first time on geek nights. Yet as someone who is making the transition from dicking around with computers enough that my family think I'm a genius to actually trying to make a life and career out of them I find I'm woefully behind on my tech news. Google of course turns up a million different sources, more than I could ever realistically follow.

So listeners of geek nights. Where do you go for your tech news? And what tools if any do you use in your insatiable quest for knowledge?

Comments

• I use Slashdot, Ars Technica, and Fark, and I probably catch most of the interesting stuff happening in general tech news.
  • I used to frequent groklaw but they shut down production when a lot of the Snowden shit went down. Techdirt now fills in.

Arstechnica has too much fluff these days and their reporting is often many hours late.

Scotusblog is great but they are having a press credential problem.

I occasionally visit Drudge/dailykos to see what the ideologues are harping about.

Otherwise I mostly use Google news to find news.
  • Read all the Internet constantly. Once you read it all, restart at the beginning. This process should take no longer than ten minutes.
  • Slashdot and Ars Technica are my go-to sources for general tech news. The Register is also not a bad source, even if it can be a little tabloidy in style. I also read a lot of specific blogs (especially about security) for other stuff. I use Feedbin as my RSS reader of choice to keep up to date. Oh, and Google News is good just for getting a 30,000 foot view of stuff, but I prefer other sites and blogs to dig down deep.
  • I've tried to find specific blogs to subscribe to but I generally don't find anything interesting enough to read on a constant basis. Especially with tech news.
  • Adding to the list of news sites: The Verge and Hacker News.
  • All news is tech news, so here are my news sources:
    Qz.com: Business news primarily, but also all other news related to business (tech, real estate, law, etc...)
    Wired.com
    Engadget
    NY Times
    LA Times
    Medium.com
    Vox.com
    Digg.com
    AP
    Reuters
  • I start by skimming techmeme.com. If I see something interesting, I look for The Verge's coverage of it.
  • The @savedyouaclick twitter account is also a good thing to use.
  • I get news from whatever pops up anywhere that I see. If it pops up in enough places, I'll take it as important.

For tech and other news, I like it filtered through podcasts and about a week late. Or instantly via twitter.
  • edited June 2014

I get news from whatever pops up anywhere that I see. If it pops up in enough places, I'll take it as important.

For tech and other news, I like it filtered through podcasts and about a week late. Or instantly via twitter.

Pretty much this, except replace "a week late" and "podcasts" with "a day late" and "Ars Technica / The Verge." Pretty much any news that I care about I learn of instantly via Twitter, and if I want more depth / analysis / whatever I'll look at various other places.

EDIT: A great resource to find articles and cool stuff about tech is actually pinboard's popular links page. It's still a small enough community that the content is consistently good, even though it lags behind sites like hackernews / slashdot (by design, of course).
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • When I stopped listening to Geeknights I completely lost touch with most of the kinds of things they talk about.
  • Thanks for the tips. Set up a Feedly account and linked everything in. NOW TO LEARN ALL THE THINGS
  • Honestly, I've totally tuned out from news. I read whatever headlines show up on my social networks (FB, Twitter, and this forum, mostly), and listen to whatever my dad (who is an extreme news junkie) thinks I would be interested in. The way I see it, if no one I know cares about it, chances are I wouldn't either.
  • Greg... No. Just... no.
  • What? I was a news junkie like you guys once. I would read everything that showed up in Al Jazeera's or the BBC's RSS feeds, but I just stopped caring. I still hear all the big stories and whatever other weirdness goes viral, but why should I read more than that?
  • Greg said:

What? I was a news junkie like you guys once. I would read everything that showed up in Al Jazeera's or the BBC's RSS feeds, but I just stopped caring. I still hear all the big stories and whatever other weirdness goes viral, but why should I read more than that?

Your transformation into Scott is nearly complete.

• Rym said:

Greg said:

What? I was a news junkie like you guys once. I would read everything that showed up in Al Jazeera's or the BBC's RSS feeds, but I just stopped caring. I still hear all the big stories and whatever other weirdness goes viral, but why should I read more than that?

Your transformation into Scott is nearly complete.

• Surprisingly, I'm finding myself using Bing more and more. Their front page has randomized news articles, and I've found lots of interesting stories on there, several of which I've shared on the forum.
  • I definitely cycle in and out on following news closely. Sometimes it just gets too depressing and I need a break.