This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• There was a guy at my Andrew Jackson panel who had majored with a concentration in Jacksonian politics. I was able to hold my own in the discussion, and taught him a thing or two. He was a nationalist bigot, but we got along quite well otherwise.
  • http://imgur.com/a/QDbyt#0 these need to more widely distributed. Go forth!
  • Someone tweeted at me praising Junkman Radio, and they weren't any of my known listeners. People I don't already know are listening!

• More gardens. More.
  • Here is how PC fans are made

• edited July 2015
    The truck is confirmed on the Ro-Ro and headed to Tacoma. Arrival, August 9th. It's taking the loooong way there.

The truck is on the Wallenius Asian Vision, a South Korean flagged vessel. Having just departed South Hampton in the Uk and headed to the Panama Canal.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/details/ships/shipid:674633/mmsi:441992000/imo:9122966/vessel:ASIAN_VISION

Post edited by AaronC on
  • edited July 2015
    Power was out today, and the battery problems on my phone got too bad to ignore anymore(the battery itself is getting pretty stuffed, not just usual over-use problems - with no apps running, it'll come off charge at 8AM and be dead by 3PM) so new phone get. Got the 64 gig Samsung s6(flat one, not Edge), because it was free, nicely sized, and didn't bump my bill up. And there's nothing terribly compelling coming out that would be available before or anywhere near when my contract came up at the end of the month anyway. Unless, by some miracle, they had decided to offer the Iphone 6S at the price I get my samsung, which they wouldn't, and they'd need to toss in some goodies to get me to switch anyway. I've grown fond of android.

Sweet-talked the saleswoman, and she tossed in a free(not just on plan with the cost rolled in, 100% free) Gear Fit when it looked like I was thinking of taking my plan elsewhere, so that's a nice bonus. I wasn't going to unless they decided to fuck with me or bump up my bill, but they often give you extra little concessions if you look like you will.
    Post edited by Churba on

• they previously did the same thing with a drum, too:

although the one with singing is better

• they previously did the same thing with a drum, too:
    although the one with singing is better

I dunno man I enjoyed the drum one more due to just how it sounds on my headphones. Both are great.
    Churba said:

Sweet-talked the saleswoman, and she tossed in a free(not just on plan with the cost rolled in, 100% free) Gear Fit when it looked like I was thinking of taking my plan elsewhere, so that's a nice bonus. I wasn't going to unless they decided to fuck with me or bump up my bill, but they often give you extra little concessions if you look like you will.

Nice one, I did the same thing and got offered a Samsung phone for free when I was moving from Melbourne to Karratha but I couldn't take it as only Telstra had full coverage at that time.

Same battery problem was happening to my Mum's phone so I bought her an unlocked LG G4, arrived today. The photo quality is crazy and it can take RAW images and JPEGs simultaneously. I'll have to teach her how to compose great photos out of multiple shots and how to get the nice looking elongated shutter speed shots.
  • sK0pe said:

Same battery problem was happening to my Mum's phone so I bought her an unlocked LG G4, arrived today. The photo quality is crazy and it can take RAW images and JPEGs simultaneously. I'll have to teach her how to compose great photos out of multiple shots and how to get the nice looking elongated shutter speed shots.

I would have picked for a better camera, but between my DSLR and my film gear, and even my mad little raw-shooting point-and-shoot, I honestly don't need it. I did look at the LG G4, and was very impressed by the camera, but I'm not going to pick a phone based on that, when the role it will be filling is "camera you have if you have nothing else."

That said, the camera in the S6 is still pretty good. Plus, it's got nicer video, which I'm more likely to use than the wicked good G4 photo camera.
  • Churba said:

That said, the camera in the S6 is still pretty good. Plus, it's got nicer video, which I'm more likely to use than the wicked good G4 photo camera.

Yeah I was stuck between the two for a few hours as I was picking for someone else.
    My Mum is all about photos and social media stuff. She would also use the expandable memory quite a bit. It was a super hard call to make between the S6 and the G4, both are great.
  • http://imgur.com/a/QDbyt#0 these need to more widely distributed. Go forth!

The coach in the pictures makes me imagine a smarter alter ego to G.W. Bush
  • All that Chuck Jones reminded me that this exists.
  • Banta said:

[Every Frame a Painting on Chuck Jones]

I heard about these videos before but now I'm going through the entire channel (not that many videos yet). Just some fantastic work.
  • Daikun said:
    It always amazes me how GamerGate is a supposedly a movement about ethics and does attempt to prove this by using the least ethical means possible.
  • Even stranger - this is regarding the recent story of Gawker outing a Conde Nast exec. Which gamergate - the movement which has previously gleefully doxxed people, outed trans people, and started out as group harassment of a woman regarding her sexual history - suddenly cares deeply about, and thinks is deeply wrong. It's just saying whatever they think justifies attacking people and organizations they don't like.
  • Gnome Chomsky
  • edited July 2015
    Post edited by Greg on
  • That's good
  • What's better than Garfield minus Garfield? Garfield minus Garfield plus Lying Cat.
  • For all of us who didn't get to go to ConnectiCon 2014 for one reason or another, my dad's Explain Homestuck to an Old Guy panel is finally up on YouTube!

• I never knew your dad used to be a standup comic.
  • Found this song when I set winamp to play my whole library on shuffle. Apparently, I downloaded it in 2009?
  • Japan plays robot badminton and it's pretty cool.
  • Kaywinnet, almost one.
    My Daughter is turning one on Sunday. Somehow ;-p