This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Future of Forum

Comments

• Do you care more about self-declared internet felonies or the continuation of a specific community?
  • Do you care more about self-declared internet felonies or the continuation of a specific community?

Both.
  • Why would he have to choose?
  • He shouldn't. But "Google juice not so good" isn't, for me, a reason for restarting the forum from scratch rather than sucking in all the old post and membership data from this one.
  • He never said he wasn't going to import the data from here, just that he was also going to make the old links work.
  • I'm fine with not importing the data as long as it's archived somewhere. I want my biographer to have thorough documentation of the last 5 years of my life, and this forum is the best source for that. I can't tell if I'm joking or not.
  • He shouldn't. But "Google juice not so good" isn't, for me, a reason for restarting the forum from scratch rather than sucking in all the old post and membership data from this one.

There are many more reasons to never change the URLs. Someone already linked this, but you clearly didn't read it.

http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html

Whatever we do, the URLs will not change.
  • I read it. I care about community continuity far, far, far, far more than w3 standards or recommendations.
  • I read it. I care about community continuity far, far, far, far more than w3 standards or recommendations.

But we wouldn't be losing that. Scott didn't say he wasn't going to do the import due to that, he was just pointing out that it is a complication he will have to deal with.

That's like saying "I like living in a comfortable house, I don't care if it's structurally unsound."

If you care about the community, that includes the entire community of people on the web who have links to things in this forum. Those links must continue to work forever.
  • burn all the bridges if it means moving forward.
  • Deal with it later. Ignore the stressful thing. Broken links for a while will be fine. Nobody gives a shit about the forum except the users.
  • Forget your principles. I heard something like that on a recent podcast.
  • Forget your principles. I heard something like that on a recent podcast.

You are a bad netizen. Go directly to web jail. Do not pass Google. Do not collect 200 bitcoin.
  • Apreche said:

Forget your principles. I heard something like that on a recent podcast.

You are a bad netizen. Go directly to web jail. Do not pass Google. Do not collect 200 bitcoin.
    That makes me want to play a real money online Monopoly with bitcoin (yeah yeah I know its a shitty game).
  • I'm 100% in favour of completely destroying this forum.

I'm still iffy on making a new one.
  • Do not cling to the inherently transient.
  • I'm sad I don't have access to my old forum from Dubthis. So Much College Angst lost to the world.. :-p
  • Cremlian said:

I'm sad I don't have access to my old forum from Dubthis. So Much College Angst lost to the world.. :-p

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit the DubThis forums? I forgot all about those.

• There was a time when Cremlian was the Internet celebrity at the anime con, and I was just some guy who hung around him.
  • Rym said:

There was a time when Cremlian was the Internet celebrity at the anime con, and I was just some guy who hung around him.

• Rym said:

There was a time when Cremlian was the Internet celebrity at the anime con, and I was just some guy who hung around him.

If it weren't for those days, I wouldn't be married to Pete.

• Shhhh, don't remind ScoJo. He might call in a favor.
  • Shhhh, don't remind ScoJo. He might call in a favor.

Nah I just like to brag about it, because in my world being a reason two people know each other who ultimately get together and are happy with each other is one of the best things in life. Community building/social networking/Whatever FTW.
  • I still remember meeting Pete and Wyatt as "the office guy" or something because of some stupid argument we had on here.
  • Flarum looks nice and clean, and I've been using Discord for a while (a group I'm in is thinking about switching to it from IRC). I'd definitely use Discord more than IRC, since it has pretty good apps on every device and I can see scrollback without having to set up some kind of irc proxy/whatever thing.

+1 for Discord
  • Discord is nice, but it's a completely different modality than a forum.
  • Discord rather than the IRC, yes.

Discord rather than the forum, no way.
  • Any updates on when/if these changes are happening @Apreche ?
  • We have idly been talking about it, but have no concrete steps yet. Been too busy with other stuff.