This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon Go!

1101112131416»

Comments

• Nuri said:

Apreche said:

Why not just... let people drive?

Liability. American legal system will go after Niantic if someone crashes while trying to catch a Poke. Because apparently people making stupid decisions is not a good enough place to stop the blame train.
    Anyone ever sue Candy Crush? I'm sure drivers are playing that shit.
  • Apreche said:

Nuri said:

Apreche said:

Why not just... let people drive?

Liability. American legal system will go after Niantic if someone crashes while trying to catch a Poke. Because apparently people making stupid decisions is not a good enough place to stop the blame train.
    Anyone ever sue Candy Crush? I'm sure drivers are playing that shit.
    I kinda doubt it, unless Candy Crush has location based candy crushing.
  • This is going to annoy the people who are still playing while riding the bus. But I honestly haven't seen anyone play it on a bus in weeks now.
  • Or in the passenger seat. Both are very common.
  • Despite the effectively solo/parallel nature of the game (it's not competitive in any meaningful sense), most every change they make is to slow people down and prevent rapid leveling or catching. They're removing or modifying anything that's "too easy" to keep the addicted purists from complaining about "cheaters."

The safety aspect is a liability thing, but the primary driver is almost definitely preventing people who care too much about Pokemon GO from being angry at people who care far less "cheating."
  • Pokemon Sun destroyed my interest. Also, it's winter now, and all of my roads are black ice - so I'm disinclined to go on walkabout anywhere.
  • I thought my time playing Pokemon Go would have spiked my interest in playing Sun/Moon. But I put about 10 hours into Moon and it's just not my jam.

Go is still installed on my phone. My wife actually still plays it, and is the only person I know who does. She's not going out on dedicated pokemon hunts, but she'll make a point of popping the app open when she is out of the house just to see if those last few rares ones are around. Gotta catch em all.
  • It was a summer game. If a Pokemon Go 2.0 comes out next May or June, I'll probably play that one for a week too, and then give up.

Just because 95% of people stop playing a game after 2 weeks doesn't mean the game wasn't a success!
  • I definitely enjoyed my time with it. It was a fun diversion in the middle of the summer, like you said. It got me out and going places. I walked my dog twice as much. Even when I was traveling for work, it made me more likely to go out and do things after hours. When we went out to catch pokemon, we'd try to go new places and actually enjoy both. There were plenty of people wandering around with their heads down, but we went on great hikes, visited great historical sites and museums, and treated it all as a little extra motivation to break out of our everyday routine and go explore our surroundings in new ways.

Fuck, Pokemon Go did *EXACTLY* what the core Nintendo mission, back to Miyamoto, has always been. Get out and go play around in the forest. Make an adventure out of it. Pokemon Go was fleeting but it was a huge fucking success in my book.
  • What's Pokémon Go?
  • It was certainly worthwhile for the time we did play it. We were going on walks in different parts of the city and running into all kinds of people doing the same thing.

It was a temporary unifying element, and that's really cool. It generated some interesting real-world experiences for us.
  • What I found ironic about Pokemon GO is that all the kids who were scene as couch potatoes playing video games all day were suddenly going outside... Where adults complained because all these kids were suddenly outside...
  • edited December 2016
    I was done with Go after about two weeks, but I did enjoy it for those two weeks. I think if there was something to strive for in the game it would have held my attention longer. There was nothing to keep my interest. Holding a gym in my area was pretty much impossible, those gyms went to teenagers with way more time than I had. I caught many of the local pokemon around me, and I just didn't feel like looking for the remaining few.

I think if it was a bit more like the RPG; teaching the pokemon moves, actually battling wild pokemon to catch them , battling said wild pokemon to level up your pokemon, and battling other trainers, I'd probably still be completely hooked on the game.

But hey, they made about a zillion dollars off the game as it is, they didn't need to do all that extra stuff to keep my attention.

Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • I still play Pokémon Go. I live in a walking town and have a Pokégym near my house. However, I've hit the elbow of the exponential curve and am edging toward giving up. It's certainly going to get a lot less outdoor play over winter. There's still novelty when I go someplace new, and they've been making holiday events (with middling success, like now) that might keep stringing me along.