This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110505 - Assassination, Libya, and Osama bin Laden

edited May 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, due partially to popular demand while simultaneously delayed by numerous unrelated hiccups, we bring you a discussion of the practicalities and morals of assassination in a general sense, considering examples from both Pakistan and Libya. (Also, food trucks). In the news, it's apparently pretty easy to convince strangers to take strange pills, and we consider whether the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Download MP3

Comments

• Sorry the show went up late. We were out late eating on Thursday, and then I was busy Friday and Saturday. ;^)
  • edited May 2011
    I can already see this show is going to give me a fuckin' headache.

Wait, don't I recall you guys saying that you try not to talk about what you don't know about?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I can already see this show is going to give me a fuckin' headache.

Wait, don't I recall you guys saying that you try not to talk about what you don't know about?
    I've only got to the concete part and already Scott is talking out of his ass.
  • I can already see this show is going to give me a fuckin' headache.

FAAAAAAART
  • edited May 2011
    Jesus h fucking christ on a pink Sparkly rollerskate.

Seriously, I've been listening to geeknights since 2005, and I've listened to every episode - either as they come out or catching up - Since this one - And this is the first time I've found myself absolutely un-fucking-able to listen to an episode all the way through. Even the Killing machines episode wasn't a tenth as bad as this, and it was pretty full to the brim with stupid. I'm going to have to Force myself at some point - but as of right now, I just couldn't fucking do it. I don't often use the term, but it is literally too fucking retarded to listen to. It's like listening to primary school childern try and tell their friends what sex is like so that they sound all mature and clever, except it's not funny. I actually feel stupider for having listened to even the small part I have. If you said even the small part of the concrete discussion that I've heard so far, I wouldn't even discuss it with you, I would belly laugh in your fucking face. There is literally no way to discuss this. This is Fractaly retarded. Not only is it retarded as a whole, it is equally retarded at every conceivable resolution and magnification.

Edit - Actually, I am convinced this entire show is trolling. I cannot actually understand how you can be so blindingly fucking stupid, so confident in said stupidity, and not be 100% trolling. I think too highly of you to actually belive you can be this absolutely fucking clueless without making a conscious effort.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Wow, you guys. This is unfuckingbelievably stupid. You have truly outdone yourself on becoming everything you hate. Jesus Christ, you don't even have to be an expert to run a decent podcast, but you clearly just jumped into this one headfirst without knowing shit about what you were talking about.

I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.
  • Wow, you guys. This is unfuckingbelievably stupid. You have truly outdone yourself on becoming everything you hate. Jesus Christ, you don't even have to be an expert to run a decent podcast, but you clearly just jumped into this one headfirst without knowing shit about what you were talking about.

I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.
    I heard pokemon was for children
  • I heard pokemon was for children
    Then I am a man who likes childish things, but that doesn't stop this podcast from being utter fucking shite.
  • edited May 2011
    I was just told, around the 40 minute mark, Scott says, roughly, "I only want to talk about something I'm qualified to talk about."

I actually laughed so hard I started dry heaving.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Wow, you guys have got me curious. Can't wait to listen to this one :P
  • I was just told, around the 40 minute mark, Scott says "I only want to talk about something I'm qualified to talk about."

I actually laughed so hard I started dry heaving.
    GeekNights: Podcasters and Expert Military Strategists since 2005.
  • Wow, you guys have got me curious. Can't wait to listen to this one :P
    I'm not saying DON'T listen to it, I'm just saying I can't bring myself to finish listening to it.
  • edited May 2011
    I finished it. I wouldn't call it unlistenable, but I would say that Scrym have fallen fall short of the standards of discourse they usually hold everyone else to.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I can't wait for HungryJoe to post in this thread.
  • Admittedly, this is the first episode I was able to laugh out loud to that I've listened to. I was playing master of orion 2 and getting my ass handed to me on impossible/cluster/average/average/8/Antarans/Random/Tactical/Post-Warp while I listened, and it provided some decent background noise.
  • edited May 2011
    I can't wait for HungryJoe to post in this thread.
    The essence of this episode is captured perfectly by the following actual exchange:

Scott (advocating shooting to wound): I could easily intentionally wound someone with a gun. I'm a pretty good shot.
    Rym: When's the last time you fired a gun?
    Scott: 199 - something.

If, in the future, I ever need proof that competence in one field does not necessarily translate into competence in other fields, I will use this episode.

Can a podcast jump the shark? Maybe they were drunk and/or stoned when they recorded this. I'm listening again, and even though they're not actually slurring their words, they definitely sound high.

Question for Scott: If you're the only one who is rational enough to understand that killing is wrong and the only reason the death penalty exists is because the rest of the non-Scott world is too vicious/cruel/stupid/barbaric to reason on your level, don't you have a duty to stop us from engaging in this practice?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited May 2011
    shooting to wound
    No. Seriously, Fucking no.

Shooting to wound - and it's cousin, Shooting to disarm AKA shooting the gun out of their hand - Is an utter fantasy, and a dangerous one at that. The Police do not and will not ever teach this. The Military do not and will not ever teach this. Even civilian concealed carry courses do not teach this. If you pull a gun on someone, you are committed to using lethal force, period, no exceptions, ever. If you think anything different, you are a dangerous idiot, who should not be allowed anywhere near firearms. Even the famous video of the police sniper shooting the gun from the suspect's hand while he sits in the lawn chair is a ridiculously lucky and unusual shot - a fact he himself has noted in interviews - and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't get chewed right out for it, because it's massively off policy, and if he'd have missed, people would have died.

Oh, and by the way? You're not a good shot. Like any skill, shooting is something that requires practice and use to keep it sharp. I'll give you credit - You probably know which end the bullets come out, and kinda how to hold a gun, but if the last time you fired a weapon was more than a decade ago, no, Scott, you're not a good shot. You WERE a good shot, in the event you're not entirely talking out of your arse in the first place.

Also, Since We're up to three people now, We officially have enough people that this is a Surround Bollocking. Goodtimes.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Also, Since We're up to three people now, We officially have enough people that this is a Surround Bollocking. Goodtimes.
    We should all do a response podcast that Scrym should be forced to include in the episode list as a public service to all who have been harmed by this episode.
  • You are the people who asked us to cover these kinds of topics. I am against it. This is a lesson in "Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it."
  • I stand by my own opinions, but as always, don't conflate Scott's words with mine. ;^)
  • edited May 2011
    This is what I imagine this show to be like:

Also, I highly doubt Scott could shoot anything other than a .22
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited May 2011
    You are the people who asked us to cover these kinds of topics. I am against it. This is a lesson in "Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it."
    First, I don't remember anyone specifically asking for it. Second, if anyone did ask for it, they were asking for an actual discussion, not utter, base stupidity, vapid supercilious arrogance, and yet another installment of how you, the legend in his own mind, has a more refined sense of morality than anyone who has ever lived or ever will live and all non-Scott entities are vicious barbarian lowlife cowards. No one asked for that at all.
    I doubt Scott could hold anything other than a .22, much less fire one. In fact, considering how freakishly weird he is about physical things, I doubt he's ever even seen a .22. It's hard to imagine someone who says that the bubble in carbonated beverages hurt his tongue has ever actually pulled the trigger on anything more lethal than a Nerf dart gun.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • WUB gets awesome points for the Billy Madison reference.
  • edited May 2011
    Also, Since We're up to three people now, We officially have enough people that this is a Surround Bollocking. Goodtimes.
    We should all do a response podcast that Scrym should be forced to include in the episode list as a public service to all who have been harmed by this episode.
    I'm game.
    WUB gets awesome points for the Billy Madison reference.
    Haha, thanks. I do what I can.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited May 2011
    You are the people who asked us to cover these kinds of topics. I am against it. This is a lesson in "Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it."
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't recall asking you to cover this topic at all. In fact, I recall on at least one occasion suggesting you not do so, because you have no fucking clue what you're on about. In fact, I think I might have even used words to the effect "Because you'll just embarrass yourself" but I might be wrong on that bit. Be careful what you wish for, you might get it? More like be careful what you wish for, because some idiot might try to do the exact opposite thing because they think they know better when they really, really don't.
    I stand by my own opinions, but as always, don't conflate Scott's words with mine. ;^)
    If it's any consolation, as much as I'm bollocking you - both separately and as as a pair(Because you were involved, though I freely admit I've not finished the episode yet and might not for a little while) - I'm not foolish enough to think that your opinions and Scott's opinions are the same thing, even if you agree on something. I'm a prick, but I try to at least be fair about it. If - when I finish listening to the episode - You've said something stupid or ludicrous, I will address that separately to addressing anything that Scott says - Unless, of course, you're both saying the same thing at some point, in which case I'll address you both at the same time for the sake of efficiency.
    I'd say you're probably correct. Though I will give him credit, he's not exactly the most waif-ish guy about, so you might be able to teach him to fire a 12-gauge without knocking himself on his ass. Might even hit something, if it's not moving.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I'd say you're probably correct. Though I will give him credit, he's not exactly the most waif-ish guy about, so you might be able to teach him to fire a 12-gauge without knocking himself on his ass. Might even hit something, if it's not moving.
    He cannot do a single push up. Not one. For all I'm concerned, he's just a walking bag of meat and water.
  • He cannot do a single push up. Not one. For all I'm concerned, he's just a walking bag of meat and water.
    Yeah, but he's gotta be at least a hundred twenty pounds of meat and water, so if he stood right and held the gun right, his chances of not falling on his ass are pretty decent.
  • maybe windupbird, hungry joe and churba should start their own podcast
  • maybe windupbird, hungry joe and churba should start their own podcast
    A lawyer, a soon-to-be-doctor, and Professional Badass?

Brucey, I didn't give you enough credit. That's actually a really fucking good idea.