This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110505 - Assassination, Libya, and Osama bin Laden

Comments

• You never stick your ass out far enough to get skewered, Rym ^_~
  • Skewer me. ;^)
    If Kaptain K was around we would be in trouble.
  • Troll senses tingling...someone must be wrong on the internet.
  • There was a Gogol 13 game?!
    Late to the party, you are.image
    There have been multiple games.
  • I think you guys are taking this a little seriously. They prologued the topic by explaining that they weren't qualified to talk about what they were about to talk about. From there it's what makes geeknights great, you're overhearing two friends chatting enthusiastically. As long as that disclaimer is there no harm is done.

Also, New Haven pizza is best pizza.
  • For me, Papa Gino's Pizza and California Pizza kitchen will always be the best. Papa Gino's for nostalgia and CPK for variety.
  • If it isn't from NYC or Chicago, it isn't pizza.
    Roman pizza would like to have a word with you.
    Do I hear a No-True-Scotsman?
    Anyways, you haven't tasted a Papa Gino's pizza. It's so good and the slices are as big as your face.
  • edited May 2011
    If it isn't from NYC or Chicago, it isn't pizza.
    Roman pizza would like to have a word with you.
    I've had Italian pizza. A friend of the family runs a shop in Chicago specializing in made-to-order, from-scratch Roman pizza. What I can tell you (and what she and her son would agree upon) is this: Pizza from the US (what I meant in the above statement) might as well be a different food from true Italian pizza. They are similar in name and certain ingredients only.
    If it isn't from NYC or Chicago, it isn't pizza.
    Do I hear a No-True-Scotsman?
    Anyways, you haven't tasted a Papa Gino's pizza. It's so good and the slices are as big as your face.
    Fair play. I'll grab a slice if I see one next time I pass through that area.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Pizza is like Sex, even mediocre is pretty good, expect those Greek places on the boardwalk.. WHY EVEN HAVE PIZZA if you are going to make it so bad!
  • I got a few minutes into the main part of this episode and stopped. Scott was being annoying, and from this thread I took it that it wasn't going to get better. I'm sure this thread was more interesting than the episode itself, so I consider it time well saved.
  • LULZ Fuck NYC and Chicago. You want a real slice? Come to ATL
  • Fair play. I'll grab a slice if I see one next time I pass through that area.
    http://thepauperedchef.com/2007/09/new-haven-pizza.html

I wouldn't call what Chicago does pizza. It's fine in its own right, but so far from what I grew up with that I consider it a different dish entirely.
  • RymRym
    edited May 2011
    Scott was being annoying
    Welcome to life inside GeekNights. ;^)

Most conversations:

for X in { all possible topics } :

Rym.say("Hey, wanna do a show about X?");
    Scott.scowl();
    Scott.say("No one cares about X, and the show would be five minutes long. How could we talk about X for an hour?");
    Rym.say("You really have so little to say about X?");
    Scott.say(Scott.generateOversimplifiedOpinion(X));
    Scott.say("X is a stupid topic for a show.")

Political conversations go about the same:

for X in { all possible political topics } :

Rym.say("Hey, what do you think about X?");
    Scott.scowl();
    Scott.say("No one cares about X, which itself is old news.");
    Rym.say("You really have so little to say about X?");
    Scott.say(Scott.generateOversimplifiedOpinion(X));
    Scott.say("X is a stupid topic, as are people who care about it.")
    Post edited by Rym on
  • That's like my friend's shop; he's from a family of Italian immigrants, and they import all their ingredients. You order a pizza at the bar, and they have the same type of "36-hour dough" and make pizzas until it runs out. Fantastic. One of the best things I've ever eaten.

Still, Neapolitan and Roman pizza is an entirely different creature from American pizza, from the crushed tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella to the woodburning ovens and dough.
    Us here in central NY would like to have a word with you. Come visit, I'll take you Tony's, all 43 of them, and then we can move onto some of the other places as well before you end up making more overly broad statements.
  • edited May 2011
    Still, Neapolitan and Roman pizza is an entirely different creature from American pizza, from the crushed tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella to the woodburning ovens and dough.
    Also the water used. Holy shit does the water make a difference.
    Also, if you are not eating it with a knife and fork, you're doing it wrong.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Different kinds of pizza are fine. There are only a few kinds of pizza that I will say are fairly objectively bad as food.

1. Sbarro's style pizza (thick, heavy, wet, greasy, cooked on those grated pans, and warmed under a heat lamp.
    2. All pizza available within 20 miles of the center of Albany, NY.
    3. All pizza available in the state of Arizona.
  • edited May 2011
    Also,
    For me, Papa Gino's Pizza and California Pizza kitchen will always be the best.
    Your opinion is automatically invalid.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • RymRym
    edited May 2011
    Also,
    For me, Papa Gino's Pizza and California Pizza kitchen will always be the best.
    Your opinion is automatically invalid.
    California Pizza Kitchen is weak sauce. I'd consider it on the level of average lame delivery pizza were it not so overpriced as to be ludicrous.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • 2. All pizza available within 20 miles of the center of Albany, NY.
    Actually, we have a few passable to alright places now.

But most of it is still shit.
  • Proper deep dish is also an acceptable form of pizza.
  • I find it funny that we once ACCIDENTALLY ordered from a Godfather's Pizza that was attached to a gas station AND the guy who started that company is running for President as a republican. (and his pizza was pretty bad)
  • I find it funny that we once ACCIDENTALLY ordered from a Godfather's Pizza that was attached to a gas station
    Kate warned us too. But we thought we were clever.

That was the second worst pizza I've ever had.
  • edited May 2011
    Proper deep dish is also an acceptable form of pizza.
    Chicago REPRESENT.
    I find it funny that we once ACCIDENTALLY ordered from a Godfather's Pizza that was attached to a gas station
    Kate warned us too. But we thought we were clever.

That was the second worst pizza I've ever had.
    What's the worst?
    Also the water used. Holy shit does the water make a difference.
    Yeast is finicky as fuck about its minerals, son.
    3. All pizza available in the state of Arizona.
    I've had exactly one good pizza experience in Arizona. Everywhere else, not so much.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • 1. Sbarro's style pizza (thick, heavy, wet, greasy, cooked on those grated pans, and warmed under a heat lamp.
    I've had decent Sbarro's pizza, the trick is figure out which Pizza has just been put out and get the stuffed pizza :-p (it's still super wet and Greasy though)
  • What's the worst?
    Ate at a dive diner outside a convention in Rochester with ScoJo once. He wisely ordered an egg sandwich, while I foolishly ordered some pepperoni and sausage pizza.

The four cheese Red Baron microwave was like a dream compared to this thing.