This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Ideas

2»

Comments

• Pegu said:

Has anyone made a VS Tetris where both players get the same blocks? Seems like a good idea to me.

Yes. Many are like that.
  • Back in college, one of the most popular things people did while procrastinating in our CS lab was play a game called BattleTris. It was originally a group final project for the software engineering class, but it turned out to be so popular that people kept maintaining it and it became part of the department's suit of "official" software.

Imagine networked (though only on the LAN) VS Tetris... only you could purchase or otherwise acquire attacks you can use to screw the other player over, ranging from clogging up their board with random pieces with gaps in them, to odd shaped pieces, to a ridiculously long single-column pieces, to various bombs and such.
  • Crazy idea.

Setup a machine learning/genetic algorithm.

Hook it up to another computer. It can input any keyboard/mouse inputs it wants. It has full Internet access on a blank Windows PC.

It has a bank account. It considers success when the number goes up. It considers it a failure when the number goes down. See how long before it makes money. If it does something illegal, it did it on its own!
  • Sounds like Wall Street to me.
  • Yeah, and it sounds like that stamp collecting AI though experiment where it starts out buying and printing stamps but keeps going further and further to get more stamps and eventually starts killing people to make into stamps.
  • Yeah, and it sounds like that stamp collecting AI though experiment where it starts out buying and printing stamps but keeps going further and further to get more stamps and eventually starts killing people to make into stamps.

I particularly like the paperclip version of that experiment, whereby you have a nanolathe, an AI, and instructions to make as many paperclips as it can. When you put materials into the device, the very first thing that will come out is a robot to stab you, the production bottleneck, and feed you into the machine to be converted into paperclips.

As an aside, I've been pondering the idea that Dread might be better without a GM, so I tried it out.
  • So there's this "Can Cannon" That's basically an AR-15 upper with a short little ported blank firing barrel with a big tube over it so you can shot pop cans and tennis balls out of it. Its neat but the thing is like $400 dollars. Now obviously I could just make a potato gun but I was thinking, could I put a big tube around a long muzzle break or proper threaded pipe with some holes drilled into it and just thread that onto the end of the barrel and get the same effect? Now I don't have an AR15 but I like this idea and it seems like it wouldn't be that hard to build.
  • Sounds like Wall Street to me.

Sounds like high frequency trading evolved to ruin the economy some more.